Why Rory will be the next 170-lb champion

He did nothing but land a punch and struggle with Rory's defense.

Then got worked over.

But, if he had a jet pack.. He would have been double legging Rory all night.

He mounted MacDonald in the 1st round lol

I know, you really love your Canadian fighters, but just stop. Maia's gas tank has never been up to par, so that's his bad. If he worked on it vigorously, I'd give him a great chance at beating MacDonald in a rematch.

I really didn't expect this to happen, but I find myself rooting for Rory a lot now. I'd like to see him get a shot at the belt.

He looked so impressive against Woodley. That was a complete domination. He was so on point, pressuring Woodley, cutting off the cage without compromising his defense, Woodley didn't even want to move because he knew he would just get hit. The body-head combos were great, and those body kicks were nasty (the same ones that "gassed" Maia).

It was crazy how they took advantage of every single weakness of Woodley. Constant pressure to test his conditioning, reclaiming all the space Woodley gives up moving straight backwards to avoid strikes, taking away his kicks by putting him against the cage. Joe Rogan kept calling for more low kicks (surprise!) but you can't throw a kick when you have no space. and dat TDD.

I went a bit off topic there but I want to see what happens if Hendricks and Rory fight. I'm not sure about the timing though with Lawler/Brown.

I shared your enthusiasm during that fight, believe me.

As far as what's next, with the winner of Lawler-Brown getting the title shot, it makes the most sense to have Rory fight the winner of Lombard-Kim around the same time as the Hendricks-Lawler/Brown fight. Then the winner gets whoever the champion is.

However, if an injury to the winner of Lawler-Brown occurs, either in that fight or after, Rory is second in line for a title shot, so look for him to step in.

MacDonald would've lost to Maia if Maia didn't have such a shitty gas tank. Penn is a bloat LW that's now at FW, that isn't impressive. Woodley is known for choking in big fights, such as his terrible performance against Shields.

Not necessarily, Anderson's arsenal of attack is quite different and Anderson was able to knock people out when they were moving forward and standing stationary.

Maia's gas tank was better in round 3 than round 2. Could it be that he does have a sub bar gas tank but Rory was body kicking the shit out of him? I think so. That hasn't stopped Maia from having quite the career and a very impressive run at WW. Maia is a really good win.

I didn't say the Penn fight was impressive, just that he shouldn't be criticized for not finishing him or not attacking. BJ has never even been knocked down.

Woodley is known for choking in big fights? That makes no sense. He won his UFC debut in a couple seconds and was very composed and on point against Carlos Condit, in what was one of the biggest fights of his career in a co main event. Woodley just got dominated by a better fighter with a bad style for him.

The comparison wasn't with Anderson's skill level. Of course Anderson is a vastly better finisher. The point is that it's pretty hard to put away an elite fighter that isn't taking any risks.

I wonder why Maia's gas tank was better in round three than it was in round two. Could it be that he does have a sub bar gas tank but Rory was body kicking the shit out of him? I think so. That hasn't stopped Maia from having quite the career and a very impressive run at WW. Maia is a really good win.

I didn't say the Penn fight was impressive, just that he shouldn't be criticized for not finishing him. BJ has never even been knocked down.

Woodley is known for choking in big fights? That makes no sense. He won his UFC debut in a couple seconds and was very composed and on point against Carlos Condit, in what was one of the biggest fights of his career in a co main event. Woodley just got dominated by a better fighter with a bad style for him.

The comparison wasn't with Anderson's skill level. Of course Anderson is a vastly better finisher. The point is that it's pretty hard to put away an elite fighter that isn't taking any risks.

Maia's gas tank has always been weak.

But BJ has been finished before, and it's sad that a man much larger than him couldn't get the job done.

Yes, he is known for choking in big fights. Marquardt, Shields, and now MacDonald. He was doing well against Condit, but was also slowing down before the injury. Right... let's forget about how horrible performance against Shields. He chokes, deal with it.

But Anderson has finished multiple elite fighters?

They're really not listening. Just shitting on fighters they don't like and hyping ones they love.

Maia's gas tank has always been weak.

But BJ has been finished before, and it's sad that a man much larger than him couldn't get the job done.

Yes, he is known for choking in big fights. Marquardt, Shields, and now MacDonald. He was doing well against Condit, but was also slowing down before the injury. Right... let's forget about how horrible performance against Shields. He chokes, deal with it.

But Anderson has finished multiple elite fighters?

That's why I called it sub par but he was coming off a five round fight where he didn't completely gas. He can go five rounds grappling with Shields but one round of grappling with Rory (dominating the whole time) just exhausts him to no end? Then the fact that he had a stronger round 3 than round 2 (where he was eating more body shots).

BJ had been finished before by two of the greatest WW's of all time, once after the 4th round and another time where he was injured. Still hard to hold it against him with it being a three rounder.

He started slowing down against Condit? Yeah that is because his gas tank is bad. He doesn't "choke". He just gasses. I don't see how the any of those three fights are him choking. He went in there and a tried but didn't have the tools to get it done. I would say he maybe had a bad gameplan against Shields but the Marquardt and Rory fights were just his weaknesses as a fighter being exploited.

Yes, which is why I called Anderson a vastly better finisher. The fact that one of the best finishers in the sport couldn't put away a few guys who were mediocre strikers just because they weren't very aggressive should only add to the point. One of them is actually Maia, at a higher weight class. Why couldn't Anderson put him away if his gas tank is so bad, in a five rounder at that?

It seems like you just want to discredit Rory, tbh. You don't have to act like he's GSP 2.0 but he's been pretty impressive.

xP, thanks for the patience. You've improved my post.

That's why I called it sub par but he was coming off a five round fight where he didn't completely gas. He can go five rounds grappling with Shields but one round of grappling with Rory (dominating the whole time) just exhausts him to no end? Then the fact that he had a stronger round 3 than round 2 (where he was eating more body shots).

BJ had been finished before by two of the greatest WW's of all time, once after the 4th round and another time where he was injured. Still hard to hold it against him with it being a three rounder.

He started slowing down against Condit? Yeah that is because his gas tank is bad. He doesn't "choke". He just gasses. I don't see how the any of those three fights are him choking. He went in there and a tried but didn't have the tools to get it done. I would say he maybe had a bad gameplan against Shields but the Marquardt and Rory fights were just his weaknesses as a fighter being exploited.

Yes, which is why I called Anderson a vastly better finisher. The fact that one of the best finishers in the sport couldn't put away a few guys who were mediocre strikers just because they weren't very aggressive should only add to the point. One of them is actually Maia, at a higher weight class. Why couldn't Anderson put him away if his gas tank is so bad, in a five rounder at that?

It seems like you just want to discredit Rory, tbh. You don't have to act like he's GSP 2.0 but he's been pretty impressive.
Yeah it should have been obvious you were comparing demeanor, and not fighting abilities or resumes. But even on top of that, when Rory is Anderson's age, is it inconceivable that he ends up with a resume and legacy similar to Anderson's? Not, not really.

Saying that Rory beat Maia and Tyron for no other reason than because Maia gassed and Tyron choked is bordering on obscene in attempts to discredit Rory. Tyron lost vs Shields largely because Shields was a uniquely bad matchup for him at the time, ditto Marquardt. And Maia has clearly shown potential in the past to last for three rounds over his career at both MW and WW and so saying Maia would for sure have won had he not gassed is also ridiculous.

Back