Why Rory will be the next 170-lb champion

abracadordosaco**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Everyone knows it's bound to happen, it's just a matter of timing.

To understand, take a look at the following reasons why I and many others believe this:

1. Training/conditioning: Rory trains at one of the world's best MMA gyms. Not only that, his fitness is incredible. He's shown in fights that he doesn't get tired.

2. Dedication: Rory has been fighting since he was 16. He moved from BC to Quebec, away from all of his family, just to train at a better gym. No one can discount his passion.

3. Skills: Rory has shown he is good everywhere the fight goes. After a loss to Condit he moved to Quebec to get better. He's been virtually unstoppable since then save for a razor-thin SD loss to Robbie Lawler that I had him winning.

4. He's better than the champ: He will outclass Johny on the feet and Hendricks would not be able to hold him down. Rory has way better boxing so the left hand would never even connect.

Haters gonna hate, but this is your future UFC welterweight champ right here:

tumblr_meivjhiRF61rcla1so1_400.gif

Rory lost to Lawler. Clear 29-28. Rogan had you drinking the Kool Aid in that fight.

I didn't know Rory had fans. Dude is boring in and out of the cage, doesn't get much worse than that.

Razor thin split decision loss to Robbie? I must not remember that fight correctly, I don't remember why it was even scored a split.

Just because the scorecards say SD, doesn't mean it really was a split decision, Lawler CLEARLY won rounds 1 and 3.

Everyone knows it's bound to happen, it's just a matter of timing.

To understand, take a look at the following reasons why I and many others believe this:

1. Training/conditioning: Rory trains at one of the world's best MMA gyms. Not only that, his fitness is incredible. He's shown in fights that he doesn't get tired.

2. Dedication: Rory has been fighting since he was 16. He moved from BC to Quebec, away from all of his family, just to train at a better gym. No one can discount his passion.

3. Skills: Rory has shown he is good everywhere the fight goes. After a loss to Condit he moved to Quebec to get better. He's been virtually unstoppable since then save for a razor-thin SD loss to Robbie Lawler that I had him winning.

4. He's better than the champ: He will outclass Johny on the feet and Hendricks would not be able to hold him down. Rory has way better boxing so the left hand would never even connect.

Haters gonna hate, but this is your future UFC welterweight champ right here:

tumblr_meivjhiRF61rcla1so1_400.gif

Delusion at its finest.

Also, inb4.

rory.jpg

28cq1it.jpg

he kinda just lost to robbie, thou then again with different judges robbie could be champ right now and rory held his own. Wouldn't say its impossible but WW if full of murders...

Funny a dominate champion makes a division look thin...WW and MW have never been stronger looking then losing GSP and Silva, Where LHW was always this nest of killers and looks weak with jones on top.

Razor thin split decision loss to Robbie? I must not remember that fight correctly, I don't remember why it was even scored a split.

Go back and watch the first round. Relatively boring and little action, but I thought Rory landed the better shots.

Also, in the third round, Rory had Robbie on his back and Yamasaki forced an absolutely atrocious stand-up for unknown reasons (Rory was staying busy).

Last edited:
His wrestling isn't good enough to effectively take the top guys down like Lombard, Woodley, Lawler, Hendricks. And his jab isn't good enough to shut down the power shots those guys are gonna throw at him. Don't see him being champ, coming from a Canadian.

He'd probably be the champion right if he had gone on to win at 167 and went along with GSP's plan to vacate.

His wrestling isn't good enough to effectively take the top guys down like Lombard, Woodley, Lawler, Hendricks. And his jab isn't good enough to shut down the power shots those guys are gonna throw at him. Don't see him being champ, coming from a Canadian.

Lack of power and 'big man' strength will hamper him. Being the champ is a trade off between being technical and taking risks to be dominant. He doesn't take enough of them and that will cost him fights against high level guys, most likely by decision.

Yeah he threw Diaz, but when has he sat down on his punches and thrown to KO? When has he gritted through a power TD? GSP, Hughes, Jones (to an extent, he hasn't lately and ironically looks not as dominant, coming from a huge fan), Aldo (again not as much lately), etc... those guys have that really 'dominant' trait that makes them the best. I don't see it in Rory. Top 5 in his division regardless.

He got murked by Condit and Lawler. He's not beating Hendricks.

I actually like Rory and think he's a talented guy. But I feel like the Condit stoppage made him fight a lot more tentatively. I much preferred the Rory that came at Condit from the opening bell and had him on his heels throughout the fight. Even his fight with BJ and his incredible body work was great to watch. But he hasn't been the same really. I think he needs to improve his wrestling and fight with the urgency he had in the Condit fight before he becomes champion. Maybe then people will start to turn around on him.

Rory is an elite WW but he's not at the top. He got whooped by Lawler and I have a lot of doubt as to whether he can even survive against Condit in a five rounder.

I doubt he'd beat Woodley or Lombard either.

Rory will never become the champ unless Rogan judges on all 3 scorecards.

Hendricks is learning to pace himself better, there goes Rory's chance to take over past the 2nd and win on points. And while Rory's TDD looks better, he still makes greenish mistakes. Plus, Johny's a brawling southpaw who's learning to box, his ceiling is higher than Lawler's.

Woodley still slows down, and he's technically inferior to Johny. Rory probably wins that one.

Go back and watch the first round. Relatively boring and little action, but I thought Rory landed the better shots.

Also, in the third round, Rory had Robbie on his back and Mazzagatti forced an absolutely atrocious stand-up for unknown reasons (Rory was staying busy).

I haven't finished rewatching it as of this comment, but I've just finished the first round. I would say Robbie landed the better shots while also having landed the most. Neither landed anything that showed to have impact. So if you narrowly thought Rory landed better shots, he landed like 10-13 less in the round with little landed as a whole. Robbie wins round 1 easy.

Edit- Rory was doing everything in his power to hold Robbie on the ground. While Robbie was doing everything to stand, I think the ref acknowledged that Rory was holding him for dear life and attempting to rest. He wasn't passing he threw a single insignificant elbow, and was told to work. He did move his hand to maybe to get in a position to pass, but the ref didn't see the small movement. Rory took to long to attempt it. In contrast when Rory got top control the second time he was much more active. So the stand up was fine when he was initially rocked.

Last edited:
damn buddy get off his jock. he lost very clearly to lawler and evey time he has to step up he will choke its in his DNA

Back