Why Ronda v. Cyborg CANNOT Happen at a Catchweight

She's willing for non title catch weight too. Ronda still keeps her belt, if anything she has more to gain and nothing to lose.

Thats not how it works, UFC don't just bring people for one-off fights.. especially against their biggest stars. If anything, Ronda and UFC have everything to lose in this scenario and nothing to gain:"

Scenario A Ronda wins at catchweight:
- Good ppv sales, bit better than what she usually gets - very short term reward

Scenario B Ronda loses at catchweight:
- Invincibility aura is lost - reduction in ppv sales, people don't care about Ronda because she is the champ, they care because she has the invincibility aura
- Zero chance of a rematch
- The girl who beat Ronda is not fighting in UFC, so they can't even try to build up Cyborg and try to make money off her
- The entire 135 division becomes irrelevant

Are you blind? Her physique has changed radically since she got caught, and if you're going by that rationale, didn't Rousey get massive?

It really didn't

Cris-Cyborg-Esther-Lin-Invicta-FC-11.jpg

015_Cyborg_vs_Van_Duin-1030x687.jpg
carano_cyborg_weigh_in.jpg

Holy shit, just looking at those images, Cyborg actually got bigger since her bust.. I guess there was a reason why she asked to be released from UFC the day after out of competition drug tests were announced

Last edited:
I have never in my life, except right now, used the phrase "talked shit". I'm not taking Dana's word that it will do 2.5M, I'm taking his word that he actually believes it. Cyborg is not unknown. Stop saying that. If she were so unknown then Rousey and Dana would not even mention her or say that the show would be the largest ppv buy for the UFC.

Other fighters that used banned substances have called out people in lighter weight classes and vice versa.

I think that you are so far in the Rousey forest that you can't see the trees.

The point is not if Rousey needs Cyborg for the money or for legacy. Rousey and Dana have both spoken about this fight being "huge", and I am saying if that is true than compromise and book it.

There needs to be comprising between the parties or there needs to be a "no comment" moratorium on the Cyborg/Rousey talk.

Rousey has negotitiated her contract with the UFC and with film companies and she did not receive everything that she wanted or vice versa. There has to be a compromise.

Cyborg isn't fighting at 135 ever and Rousey doesn't need to fight at a disadvantage at 145 either. So compromise at 140 if Cyborg can make it.

Unknown to casual fans . And yes, she absolutely is. Casuals do not watch Invicta. To get anything near 2 million buys you are going to need to get a LOT of casuals on board. The mma media covers everything, so yes they bring Cyborg up all the time. Doesn't mean the average fan knows who she is. We're on an mma forum, so obviously most people posting are not casual fans. You think the average person is watching Bellator, Invicta, WSOF, One fc, etc?

Just lol at your logic that they need to not mention her name or give her a cw. Says who, you? The media will keep mentioning her, so yeah her name will come up. Currently, she has nowhere near enough leverage to demand things like a cw fight. Shes not on Rondas level with drawing power, celebrity, etc. She doesn't get to dictate terms, Ronda does. Cyborg is the one making chump change to fight in a no name org man.

Again I'm not even a big Ronda fan, her personality is annoying tbh, but this is all just common sense stuff. And still lolz at the idea that Dana believes everything he says. I guess he believes efery ifc card is the best card ever, and every current champ is the all time pfp goat too. He's a promoter. Ronda gets millions per fight wither way, sne doesn't HAVE to fight Cyborg. Ever. If Cyborg wants the fight she better start playing ball, because her tactic of trying to demand everything on her terms isn't getting her anywhere except for crushing cans for cheap in obscurity.

I guess gsp and jon jones weren't real champions then. Such a silly argument. You don't have to fight outside your natural weightclass to be a "real champion". Cleaning out your own division is more than enough.

Not when your division is garbage and your are biggest favorite in history due to such poor quality opponents

Lol believe whatever you want man. I'm not even a huge fan of wmma i general. I wanted Tate to beat her because she's hotter, but Tate has no fignt IQ.

good write.

it's like a school playground here. these kids think if they use meaningless taunts like "Ronda is ducking Cyborg" then it will somehow get Ronda to take the fight. It's the equivalent to "you're chicken" except with well established athletes. It's pretty pathetic.

Thanks. Yeah their logic seems to be well if Ronda doesn't fight her, people like us are gonna say she's SCARED. Lol ok then, doubt she cares.

Thats not how it works, UFC don't just bring people for one-off fights.. especially against their biggest stars. If anything, Ronda and UFC have everything to lose in this scenario and nothing to gain:"

Scenario A Ronda wins at catchweight:
- Good ppv sales, bit better than what she usually gets - very short term reward

Scenario B Ronda loses at catchweight:
- Invincibility aura is lost - reduction in ppv sales, people don't care about Ronda because she is the champ, they care because she has the invincibility aura
- Zero chance of a rematch
- The girl who beat Ronda is not fighting in UFC, so they can't even try to build up Cyborg and try to make money off her
- The entire 135 division becomes irrelevant

See this, this right here is why. The ufc needs to be able to push whoever wins. They can't push Cyborg if she wins a random one off fight, they would rather pass Rondas aura over to her if Ronda loses. Well that and book like 4 rematches I'm sure.

I've never said anything about a fighter ducking another fighter. But I do think Ronda is ducking Cyborg. Cyborg would jump for joy is Ronda said she would meet her at 140. Cyborg can not make 135.

If Ronda is as good as they say she is, she would take the fight at 145 and crush Cyborg up there on her own turf. Hell, Ronda already fought at 145, so it's not like she couldn't easily make it up there.

But it's bad business to do that for the UFC, so it wont happen. (But a real champion would go for it)

In your opinion was Matt Hughes, GSP, JBJ, Chuck Liddell, Weidman, real champions?
I guess only BJ Penn and Dan Henderson was real champions according to you

Ronda has everything that Cyborg wants
Cyborg can either drop the needles & lose the muscle, or stay irrelevant outside the UFC, it really is that simple

It won't happen because the UFC knows they have a cash cow in Ronda..Blonde..not bad looking and decent at fighting. If she steps in with Cyborg..then that cash cow gets butchered and the entire UFC WMMA blows up.

Based on what?
Cyborgs record? You do realized that her record is actually not that good?
Cyborg her self wanted to go down to 135 back in 2011 because the competition was better there..

Come on, you know with Cyborg's hype, and UFC's hype machine, it's a match made in heaven. Cyborg would be huge with UFC backing her.

Just look at Wand. Casuals didn't know who he was but UFC made him a household name in no time. Liddell vs Wand sold just fine, AND IT WAS WAND'S FIRST FIGHT IN UFC. I'm personally not saying Ronda/Cyborg would sell 2.2 million buys or whatever, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be huge, or the biggest female fight ever. UFC would guarantee it would be.

hahahahahah Wand!?!?
One if not THE biggest star from Pride!?!?!
Trust me people know who he was before entering UFC...

A catchweight bout between Ronda and Cyborg at 140 lbs. means the real limit is 141 lbs. cuz it's not a title fight.

And let's not forget, Cyborg already weighed 144.5 in her last fight (so it's only a drop of 3.5 lbs. to make the 'catchweight').

But that's not all...

If Cyborg misses weight by just 2 pounds (an amount so small that the fight usually goes on) she'd weigh 143 lbs. -- which is only 1.5 pounds under her last fight.

So Cyborg would only have to lose 1.5 lbs. in that scenario.

Yet Ronda could hardly cancel the fight cuz she'd be under pressure not to cancel to protect Zuffa from losing millions.

So a 'catchweight' fight means Cyborg can basically fight near her current Invicta weight if she wants to.

If her technique is as good as her fanboys claim then she should be able to beat Ronda even without a size and strength advantage, right? If she needs to have a major strength advantage to win then it means her technique is shit.

I still think Ronda would win at 145 lbs. but Cyborg's chances would be greatly increased at the heavier weight. At 135 lbs. Ronda destroys Cyborg like a hot knife thru butter. :p

The 1 lb grace lb is just one lb. But it can be dealt with easily by setting the catch weight at 139 lbs with the grace lb bringing it up to 140 on the nose. And don't forget that Ronda gets that grace lb as well, so it really isn't that big of a deal. In fact, every woman gets that lb at 135 unless it is for a title fight; does that invalidate all of their wins when they use it? Is it an excuse? Not at all.

Everything you said could be the same at 135 lbs except the grace limit lb if the title was on the line. Cyborg could still miss weight by a little bit and the fight would probably still go on, and it would still play into her being able to retain more of the mass she is used to competing with. The idea that Cyborg is bigger than Rousey is a simple fact and shouldn't be so heavily weighted. It's a super fight, not a regular fight. She's bigger for a reason: they are in different weight classes. You and others like you just insist that she change to suit your own selfish needs and desires. Others like me just want to see the fight.

A catchweight bout between Ronda and Cyborg at 140 lbs. means the real limit is 141 lbs. cuz it's not a title fight.

And let's not forget, Cyborg already weighed 144.5 in her last fight (so it's only a drop of 3.5 lbs. to make the 'catchweight').

But that's not all...

If Cyborg misses weight by just 2 pounds (an amount so small that the fight usually goes on) she'd weigh 143 lbs. -- which is only 1.5 pounds under her last fight.

Yet Ronda could hardly cancel the fight cuz she'd be under pressure not to cancel to protect Zuffa from losing millions.

So a 'catchweight' fight means Cyborg can basically fight near her current Invicta weight if she wants to.

If her technique is as good as her fanboys claim then she should be able to beat Ronda even without a size and strength advantage, right? If she needs to have a major strength advantage to win then it means her technique is shit.

I still think Ronda would win at 145 lbs. but Cyborg's chances would be greatly increased at the heavier weight. At 135 lbs. Ronda destroys Cyborg like a hot knife thru butter. :p

no one denies any of this-

THATS THE WHOLE POINT-
Can Rondas skill overcome the size?

Many good fighters have done it.

I guess gsp and jon jones weren't real champions then. Such a silly argument. You don't have to fight outside your natural weightclass to be a "real champion". Cleaning out your own division is more than enough.

Exactly!
This is a superfight! No different than Mighty Mouse vs Dillashaw or Weidman vs Bones or McGregor vs Pettis. It's just two fighters putting on an amazing fight. Ronda should be retiring Cyborg instead of facing another cupcake in her division.

Ok and? Ronda doesn't like Cyborg, because she is a steroid cheat. That's confirmed at this point, not a rumor anymore. She's on record saying that as the champion she sees no reason to go up in weight to accommodate a known ped user. Like it or not, that was her reasoning.

And unlike the other examples people keep bringing up ( most of those fights never happened either btw), these aren't champions of equal standing making it a true superfight and money fight.
Cyborg is the Invicta champion, a champ most people have never heard of in an org most people have never heard of. We couldn't get gsp vs Andy or andy vs bones, and everyone involved there was a huge star in mma.

Cyborg fans don't seem to grasp that outside of the hardcores, Cyborg is a nobody. Her fights generate next to no media interest or hype, and nobody knows who she is. If gsp or andy or jones didn't want to take a potentially dangerous superfight that truly WOULD be a big money fight due to risk, why on earth would Ronda take a potentially dangerous fight outside of her natural weight class that has next to no upside for her? She ALREADY makes millions a fight, why jeapordize that to fight some no name from invicta? So that no names fans will stop bashing her? Lolz ok.

Whether the public knows about her now or not does not take away from the fact that this would be a VERY promote-able fight. All you have to do is inform people.
Rousey's division hasn't come up with an answer to her and doesn't seem likely to except on the off chance that Miesha manages to pull off an upset. I'd love it, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. Cyborg makes for a great bad guy, and Rousey fans would eat it up. They'd feel real stress as she was going to do battle with a monster of a woman. Their face-offs would be electric, almost iconic, with the (supposedly) pretty, smaller champion who markets herself well against the deep-voiced, unattractive/unfeminine, muscled foreigner "terminator" of Cyborg. It makes for a great story line and the MMA media (who certainly knows about Cyborg) would eat it up and spread it to the masses as much as they could any fight. It would be big. A lot of it would be due to Rousey, but Cyborg would be a great counterpoint to her.

View the below before & after photo.

http://proteinfart.proteinfart.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/mustafa-mohammad.jpg

So you still think Cyborg will die if she tries to lose 5-8 lbs. of muscle tissue to fight Ronda? LOL. Duh.

Lots of the world's top bodybuilders (who compete with far less fat tissue than Cyborg has) have lost 50-70 pounds of pure muscle tissue just by changing their protein intake and scaling back strength training, while increasing cardio training.

Obviously they quit taking steroids too, but they also had to decrease protein and strength training (along with reducing protein supplements).

**If you're serious about losing muscle tissue it's about the EASIEST thing in the world to do.

Maintaining excess muscle tissue isn't a natural process, it takes EFFORT to keep a muscle based physique like Cyborg has.

Cyborg refuses to lose any muscle tissue for Ronda cuz she wants a strength advantage, cuz her technique is shit.

LOL at the fanboys who think Cyborg will die. Talk about ignorant. :D

But that's not all...

Shes always gonna be stronger and bigger than Ronda, even if she is drawn out for the weigh ins, Cyborg hasnt really shown a bad gas tank either, so if you think (I know you arent actually thinking but humor me non the less) 2-3 lbs is gonna be the difference maker here you are out of your mind

Either way I think eventually its gonna happen , the list of contenders is getting slimmer and slimmer, Meisha x4 in 2016

Back