Why real muay thai translates so well to MMA, why American muay thai doesnt

looks like there was a bit of movement on his right leg at the end there

the one above it LOOKED like he might have used a knee bump at the end to help with the throw.

first gif you posted was a throw that i think would not be kosher for some refs.

It's quite possibly illegal on paper and tolerated in the ring plain and simple.

I would think all observations are correct in response to this thread...the referees will warn Fighters against major throws and they let the downed guy have plenty of time to get up as if he had been fouled but nobody takes a point and nobody gets dq'd under virtually any circumstances.

Every now and then I see a Muay Thai Fighter literally try to throw the other guy out of the ring yet this gets tolerated and treated like a minor foul.

I think Studios use Muay Thai as a selling term but in fact only teach a modified version.

This is simply the business of martial arts whereas the liability and equipment is too expensive for full-blown Muay Thai and a watered-down version just sells better

I wouldn't have a problem with this if we could go to the local community center and practice real Muay Thai at our public park facilities but they won't let us so what we have left is a heavily diluted version.

we have given our society over to the weakest Minds Among Us... the liability blame game is crippling America's ability to maintain the True fighting readiness of military and martial Arts amongst the civilian population that we used to maintain in the past. We used to respect boxing and wrestling in the old days....we had youth leagues High School leagues

HOWEVER nowadays Little Johnny can get out of gym cuz he doesn't want to change in front of the other boys

Roman Empire anyone?
What state do you live in? I've seen plenty of Full Muay Thai rule events in California with elbows, clinching, throws and everything. The "War of the Heroes" events in Santa Clara were especially good, too bad they went away. They would have modified rules for lesser experienced fighters however.

Of course, Lion Fight had a run there too.

And where do you get this "kicking motion" thing from @jtwarwagon4life ? I've never heard of it and i've been taught plenty of legal dumps that used no kicking motion

If you watch, the one doing the toss sort of strikes with the inside of their foot at the ankle....at the same time as they have the upper body lock.....then they dump......

It's really that small......or they jam their leg above the knee into the opponents side as they toss......

It doesn't look like a normal strike.......

If you watch, the one doing the toss sort of strikes with the inside of their foot at the ankle....at the same time as they have the upper body lock.....then they dump......

It's really that small......or they jam their leg above the knee into the opponents side as they toss......

It doesn't look like a normal strike.......
Yes in the video yes. But there are dumps you can do without that motion. As some other guy said you can’t do that pulling motion with your foot though

agree on both. 0:06 was like a suplex lol

This video is a great example of some serious Muay Thai slam work

you can see the ref scolded him a couple times but didn't take a point away

the big question is if your opponent doesn't get up after that suplex is it a KO win for you?

either way it's clear in Thailand the slam is valued and it works and that's why real Muay Thai rules the stand up game of MMA too bad we don't do it in the United States!

to begin with, "real muay thai" translating well to MMA is a myth, hence the top strikers in MMA have a different striking background (WMMA aside), actually i'd suggest otherwise, based on how far top/mid MT guys have went in MMA

Eh I don't think either translate better than another in terms of MMA. It really depends on the fighter and what region he is from. You can see muay thai guys get merked in the throwing department by Sanda guys in those chinese squash matches.

to begin with, "real muay thai" translating well to MMA is a myth, hence the top strikers in MMA have a different striking background (WMMA aside), actually i'd suggest otherwise, based on how far top/mid MT guys have went in MMA
What top guys? The one who stands out as "top Muay Thai guy in MMA" is Dejdamrong and he was One FC champ when he was almost 40...

it does translate well considering grappling portion of muay thai and the use of knees and elbows. Looking out for just the adjustments like not standing too tall and having a wider base

it does translate well considering grappling portion of muay thai and the use of knees and elbows. Looking out for just the adjustments like not standing too tall and having a wider base

no one can argue that real Muay Thai
(as it is practiced in Thailand) is by far the most effective striking art that is ever been devised in human history.

The point of this thread is that the grappling/striking transition is simply mastered in Thai boxing

with some minor modifications Muay Thai is simply perfect for MMA or any striking applications

no one can argue that real Muay Thai
(as it is practiced in Thailand) is by far the most effective striking art that is ever been devised in human history.
Yet you've managed to evolve it with flat footed kicks <Lmaoo>

Yeah I sure did...you see in America they have a modified version of Muay Thai but they don't really tell students that when they sign up for classes.
Sooo, american kickboxing, got it.
100(50).gif

thailand doesnt give a shit about MMA

Yet you've managed to evolve it with flat footed kicks <Lmaoo>
Actually its Anderson Silva, Fedor and jon jones to blame not me but thanks for the compliments....nice cartoon, really reminds me of who I'm talking to

Actually its Anderson Silva, Fedor and jon jones to blame not me but thanks for the compliments....nice cartoon, really reminds me of who I'm talking to
Anderson Silva and Jon Jones clearly raise their heel when throwing round kicks. Fedor isn't a good kicker.

Are you an instructor?

Back