Why Pacman and Floyd are more popular than Klitschkos or most HW's?

And lets not let mayweather off the hook either, some of his fights are boring as hell, I guess people are so used to seeing his kinds of fights that they don't mind. Pac is a dream, even when he lost, those fights were exciting, and the marquez fight was fucking epic. Those kinds of fights are great for the sport.

I'm not sure if I believe you've watched Mayweather fight.

And lets not let mayweather off the hook either, some of his fights are boring as hell, I guess people are so used to seeing his kinds of fights that they don't mind. Pac is a dream, even when he lost, those fights were exciting, and the marquez fight was fucking epic. Those kinds of fights are great for the sport.

How is Mayweather boring? His fights are great if you understand boxing and know whats being done. I never understood how people saw Mayweather as boring.
The fight Seano just put up of Wladimir Klitschko vs Sultan Ibragimov is the definition of a boring fight. I just watched the first two rounds of it and Klitschko had thrown 0 right hands at that point.
All he did was pump a left jab and smack down Sultans right jab for the entire first two rounds. He easily couldve thrown effective straight right hands, but typical of a Klitschko fight, he wont start throwing his right hand bombs until mid way thru the fight.

Also the reason Klitschko fights are boring are because of their competition. They dont have anyone to fight. They are definitely great but I wouldn't consider them top 10 of all time in the HW division.
Lennox was the last great HW and he busted Vitali up.

ok, let me rephrase or clarify, compared to what a good fight used to be, mayweather is boring. Him getting paid to run against delahoya is not what the sport is about. He's fought some good fights though, the maidana fight was ok, though a little overrated because people are used to seeing him dominate.

ok, let me rephrase or clarify, compared to what a good fight used to be, mayweather is boring. Him getting paid to run against delahoya is not what the sport is about. He's fought some good fights though, the maidana fight was ok, though a little overrated because people are used to seeing him dominate.

Mayweather is a textbook boxer.

He BOXED de la Hoya because Oscar was the much bigger guy.

the fight stunk, his fight against Corrales was great though, he knows the sport better than anyone else now boxing so give the devil his due but I won't be mistaking him for Sugar Ray (either) anytime soon.

It's funny how Rjj was never near as big as Mayweather even though he employed the same style but did it while hardly ever losing a round. He never had a guy like Delahoya to build anything on though. Delahoya was a commercial phenomenon and the kind of guy who could make a career.

the fight stunk, his fight against Corrales was great though, he knows the sport better than anyone else now boxing so give the devil his due but I won't be mistaking him for Sugar Ray (either) anytime soon.

I've seen two fights with Floyd that I thought were truly boring because of Floyd. The Oscar fight which was because it would have been stupid for him to fight any other way, and the Baldo fight, where I felt he could have done more.

oscar wasn't really that big, people forget he won his first title at 130 and I remember hearing all the "too big" talk during the Pac buildup but when I saw them standing side by side I thought "Oscar isn't much bigger, he's gonna lose". The one thing neither Floyd or Pac had to deal with is an Oscar of ten years before who may have been able to beat Mayweather and most likely would have kayoed Pac with a left hook.

I've seen two fights with Floyd that I thought were truly boring because of Floyd. The Oscar fight which was because it would have been stupid for him to fight any other way, and the Baldo fight, where I felt he could have done more.

I remember the Oscar fight. It was like Canelo-Mayweather but with even way more buzz to it.

It was my first year out of high school when that fight went down and there was a huge party with all my friends and their friends who most never cared about boxing, but wanted to watch that Oscar-Floyd fight.

Most of them left that night the same way they came in.
It wasn't the type of fight to showcase to non-boxing fans who were looking for a KO.

One of my good friends said the reason he doesn't watch boxing (he doesnt watch MMA either) is because he has a hard time watching non HW's fight and the only fight he really ever saw was Oscar-Mayweather and it was uneventful for him.

oscar wasn't really that big, people forget he won his first title at 130 and I remember hearing all the "too big" talk during the Pac buildup but when I saw them standing side by side I thought "Oscar isn't much bigger, he's gonna lose". The one thing neither Floyd or Pac had to deal with is an Oscar of ten years before who may have been able to beat Mayweather and most likely would have kayoed Pac with a left hook.

Oscar was clearly the bigger man.

If its not happnin in the USA, then it isn't important to them. That's how its always been there.

Maybe I'm out on a limb here, but popularity in fight sports tends to happen for a few reasons, or in a few ways. Racial/National/Regional affiliation being the big one. Put "Irish" in a name and every 1/8th mick who sees a guy fight roots for him. The Klits are huge in Europe in part for this reason.

Another way is consistently winning. Both have, so both have a pretty big fan base where they get televised - Europe.

The third way is by winning career fights. Holyfield beating the piss out of Tyson. Ward beating Gotti. MMA example - Chris Weidman. The big crossover Klits fight for American box-casual fans was with David Haye. David vs Goliath, or Black Rocky vs 'That huge Russian guy'. Either way that fight was holding, smothering, boring work. It's what most people hear about the Klits brothers, which isn't always the case. That fight could have been a BIG entry into the American crowd if Wlad has brought the sauce that night. He won, easily, but managed to make the fight boring as fuck.

Thats easy. The HW division is boring, the klits fighting style is boring.

Pac is an exciting fighter
Floyd is exciting and has made himself into an icon that people always tune into see if he will lose his next fight.

Besides those two there are just a great number of people and fights to watch.

Klits fights were broadcast in the united states and got let go. There fights are just plain boring

Oscar was clearly the bigger man.

Didn't oscar weigh like 162 the day of? Idk
From an article I found:

http://www.secondsout.com/columns/thomas-hauser/de-la-hoya-pacquiao-and-the-business-of-boxing

One day before the fight, Pacquiao weighed in at 142 pounds (about what was expected). Surprisingly, De La Hoya tipped the scales at 145 (two pounds beneath the 147-pound limit). At the stare down following the weigh-in, Manny was wearing high-soled shoes while Oscar was in his stocking feet. That made them look closer in height than the four-inch differential between them.

The assumption was that De La Hoya had dried out considerably more than Pacquiao to make weight. One night later, just before the fight, Oscar got on the

The answer is pretty simple. Pacquiao and Mayweather are the two best boxers of their generation and will unquestionably go down as all-time greats. Additionally, Pacquiao also happens to be one of the most exciting fighters of this generation. Fighters like these don't come around often, and their ilk will probably become even rarer as boxing's popularity declines.

The Klitschkos obviously aren't as good, which is forgivable since the heavyweights rarely are. The bigger problem though is that they're boring as hell, and this is made worse by the fact that everyone else in the division is garbage. Why care about a fight that will not only have a predictable outcome, but also be completely boring? Concerning Wlad, I don't think I've ever seen someone with such a high KO percentage be so boring. The only way anyone outside of several European countries can care about them is to have them fight each other, but that will obviously never happen.

the de la hoya fight wasnt very exciting,but that isnt only may's fault,and ive liked most of his other fights since then. Even if you had mayweather winning by a high margin against maidana it was an exciting fight to watch. His domination of Canelo is exciting to watch.The cotto fight is awesome. There is no Lean-fest like wlad against Povetkin

Back