Why not Khabib or Rafael?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by mxkey, Oct 6, 2013.

1. mxkey

mxkey Blue Belt

Firstly Thomson vs Pettis is a sick match up as it will likely be action packed and i have the utmost respect for Thomsons skills/career. Having said that it seems unusual that hes getting a title shot with just one win. Is there a reason why he was chosen to replace tj over guys like Dos Anjos or Khabib? Khabib is green but as a replacement fighter i think his case is better than thomsons. My guess is the UFC 1) believes thompson will make the fight entertaining and 2) believe Pettis has a good chance of winning and it will bolster his apeal to the fans.
    Please understand this is not about me believing my opinioms should dictate the ufc it just seems like an odd choice and im wondering if theres more to the story.
    thoughts?

2. Drake

Drake Guest

3. Kneeuinthenutz

Kneeuinthenutz Steel Belt

Miyagi Do - Cobra Kai Dojo Kicking Major Ass.
    There are lots of reasons, but I think the main is simply paying respect to the guy in their division who's been fighting longer than anyone by a long shot, and has been one of the best LW's in the world much longer than anyone. Not sure everyone got the memo yet, but giving fighters who've competed outside the UFC for a long time their just due is no longer frowned upon by the UFC.

On top of that, he just completely destroyed and stopped Nate Diaz (AKA one of the UFC "elite" that are far better than strikeforce or WEC fighters).

Not to mention Pettis and Thomson were suppose to fight going back a few months, and then Pettis got involved with the title fights.

4. Mr. Hammer

Mr. Hammer Silver Belt

Lol at RDA getting the title shot over Thomson. Who should have won the Melendez rubber match prior to knocking out Nate Diaz.

5. mxkey

mxkey Blue Belt

I didnt know they had a previous match-up scrapped. Good point and just what i was looking for. The rest of your comments about the ufc giving charity title shots to veterans because they just deserve it is stupid.

6. spetanink

spetanink Blue Belt

I think Thomson's age plays into it to. Dos Anjos and Khabib have plenty of time left in their careers. Thomson is a good draw and is 35. Others mentioned his style, and I think that is a big part of it too. Dana knows he will stand and bang with Pettis and it will be a war. Dana (I think) thought that Anjos' decision over Dunham was a robbery, I believe he tweeted about it. Khabib is a solid up and comer, but he may want to build his name with a couple more fights.

7. mxkey

mxkey Blue Belt

So its laughable that a a guy with 5 wins including a top ten gets a title shot over a guy with two straight wins but only if you count a loss as a win?
    Remember we're talking about a replacement fighter for an injured TJ.......

8. artisabang

artisabang Green Belt

Wasn't Tj replaced by Thomson before Khabib beat Healy?

9. mxkey

mxkey Blue Belt

Probably the best answer so far. Thomson is definitley the bigger name.

10. Bigj383

Bigj383 Gold Belt

Josh has already finished Pat Healy and just destroyed Diaz like no person ever has. Why is Thomson getting the shot over RDA. Because Thomson won more impressively. There has been debate on dome of Dos Anjos'es recent wins if he deserved the win.

11. artisabang

artisabang Green Belt

Heres the answer!!!!!!!

Thomson replaced tj the 17th september,
    3 days prior to khabibs fight against healy!!!!!

12. RaskeDanzig

RaskeDanzig Black Belt

People who think Dos Anjos or Khabib deserve a shot over Thomson are kidding themselves. Just because they're on longer winning streaks doesn't mean they are bigger contenders. Dos Anjos last win was a close fight against Cowboy, Khabib's a decision over Healy (his only top 10 win). Thomson KTFO Nate Diaz (who owned Cowboy), arguably beat Gilbert Melendez twice, and finished Pat Healy.

13. mxkey

mxkey Blue Belt

Im hearing this alot. I only remember Cerrone and Njo-whatchamaspellit which i believe were both one sided smotherings.

14. mxkey

mxkey Blue Belt

15. Gatts

Gatts Green Belt

Prop's to Dana for giving Josh's non-UFC record the weight it deserves.

I can't see Khabib losing to a non-title contender so he'll get there eventually.

16. Kneeuinthenutz

Kneeuinthenutz Steel Belt

Miyagi Do - Cobra Kai Dojo Kicking Major Ass.
    And what comments were those?

I remember stating they probably gave it to Thomson because he's been fighting much longer than the entire division, and one of the best LW's in the entire world much longer than the entire division, and coming off a huge win. I don't recall anything about charity.

Could you clarify?

17. Nova44

Nova44 Brown Belt

Khabib has 1 good win...

18. mxkey

mxkey Blue Belt

As i understood your comment you basically said Thomson gets the title shot because he been around the longest and been at the top for a long time and therfore a title shot was his "just due". You also made mention of how this demonstrated the UFCs newfound respect for fighers from other organizations ( i did not get the memo).
    At any rate a few people have argued that its Joshs marketability that makes him the best choice which i have to agree with. Although, from the purist point of view i would still contend that with TJ injured, RDA is the most formidable match up.

19. Nelly

Nelly Black Belt

Pretty sure Thomson is from CA and that played a factor.

20. mxkey

mxkey Blue Belt

I guess the consensus is that Josh is the most marketable match up and that my contention that a guy with a multi fight win streak should be considered over a guy with just one is ludicrous and without any logical basis. Ive also learned that wins sometimes count as losses (vice versa), and that your only as good as the sum total of your entire career.

The marketability point is a good one amd i can accept that.