Why not have a substitute fighter if the injury bug goes chaotic?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Luger, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Luger

Luger Rabbi of Platinum Nation Banned

With fights being scheduled so far ahead and even with promises of "if A wins B, he will fight C..." why not have a fighter that is not signed to fight on a publicly noticed standby?

There have been times where fighters are complaining about being healthy and not getting any fights, and at the same time there are others that are constantly signed to fight that don't go through.

Sarah Kaufman recently said:

Why would it hurt to have a fighter like her on standby?
    She (and every fighter that could jump in to fight) would probably train harder knowing that she might get the call to fight.

Is it not a win-win situation?
    Fighters would not have to step in on a short notice (out of shape/deal with a horrible weight cut) and the fight would not have to be postponed for months.
    The person that was scheduled to fight did not train hard for nothing.
    The fans/the org gets a fight.

2. Lyoto Jackson

Lyoto Jackson Purple Belt

Lets do it.

3. CerebralKnievel

CerebralKnievel Silver Belt

I feel like people who concoct notions like this exist in a wonderful world where they ride rainbows to their job at gummy bear land.

4. the can

the can fat guy belt

good idea. you should work for the ufc.

5. Degen Gambler

Degen Gambler Silver Belt

They have Donald Cerrone on standby for every card.

6. Guardian MMA

Guardian MMA Purple Belt

Cerrone vs Romero, Cerrone vs Werdum, I like.
    Cerrone first 5 division champ.

7. countswagula

countswagula Gold Belt

What fighter would be willing to go through a training camp, putting enormous stress on the body and a significant financial setback on the off-chance someone on their weight class gets injured?

8. Bearknuckle

Bearknuckle Brown Belt

Maybe a guy who is outside of top 15. As long as the substitute is willing and agrees to it.

They use to do that when i wrestled. If you placed like 4th in league u traveled with the team to be an alternate in case.

9. TrueBias

TrueBias Silver Belt

Ive already suggested it and I think its already underway. Sometimes even the 'understudy' isnt prepared.

10. Luger

Luger Rabbi of Platinum Nation Banned

I thought about mentioning him in the OP but I thought everybody would think that it was just a nuthugging thread about him.

Unfortunately, he is just one fighter and not every weight class has a fighter like him, willing to step in.

11. johnyboy

johnyboy Silver Belt

The fighters that would agree to be on stand by would only be fighters that are ranked lower the the guys fighting. So if your opponent goes down what do you get? A chance at losing to a lower ranked guy. Not worth it.

12. jitzmonkey

jitzmonkey Green Belt

A catch weight fight would make this more feasible.

13. trblesome1

trblesome1 Silver Belt

Who in the hell wants the job of being a stand by fighter, this could really only work effectively for the lower level fights, Unless you enjoy watching fights like Cormier/Cummins

14. warriorscommando

warriorscommando I will always protect you

Any worthwhile substitute fighter should be booked for his own fight. You want Machida out of booking because Silva might get hurt? Think things through.

15. warriorscommando

warriorscommando I will always protect you

In the case of the UFC you'd have somebody outside of the top 15 as a substitute, basically as a can to get a hiding. So the UFC loses a good fight in the future when the fighter heals up and instead gets a can smashing and possible injury for the valuable fighter.

16. TrueBias

TrueBias Silver Belt

Anyone.

If a fighter doesnt have one planned or has a different fight planned, they can be asked "if shit hits the fan, would yiu step in?" Why not say yes if they're already training? Only ones I can see declining are those that dont train in between fights.

With the ww division the way it is right now, I am sure this is being bounced around. Money to be made regardless.

17. BJ@LW&WW

[email protected]&WW Gold Belt

idea:

have a 'fighter on call' for each division that signs to fight anyone who loses an opponent in his division. he stays in fighting shape, is ready to cut weight within a weeks notice, and gets paid a running salary along with the regular fight purse. Duration of the fighter on call period can be like three months.

the ufc can use him whenever they feel necessary. the fighter on call can be a high level fighter who doesnt have a scheduled fight yet.

18. Andre Xiong

Andre Xiong Silver Belt Professional Fighter

I think there are enough baristas and regional fighters that it's not worth UFC paying a substitute to train. They rather buy a short notice substitute, if needed, than pay in case they need one.

It would suck to go through all the motions not to get to fight though, even with some financial incentive ($2,000 + $2,000? :p )

19. Andre Xiong

Andre Xiong Silver Belt Professional Fighter

we make it sound great but to a fighter, it may be comparable to being asked to come in to work on a Saturday.

20. maccer349

maccer349 Blue Belt

A lot of these guys/girls get paid very little to show up and fight. I'm not sure who is gonna pay for a training camp for somebody who might fight. Then you got to figure that you would need an alternate for each weight class represented on the card. If you have 4 MW fights scheduled do you have 4 MW alternates trained as well? Nobody is gonna pay for that. It seems that there are a lot of gyms out there with lots of guys training all the time. It cant be that hard to find someone in reasonable shape to pinch hit on short notice.