Why not create a "new normal" to prevent other deaths?

Hadron90

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
1 out of every 4 deaths in the US is due to heart disease. That's a death every 37 seconds. If lives are more important than freedom or economic factors, why do we not restructure society around fighting heart disease? It could come in the form of a ban on unhealthy foods, state monitoring of your exercise levels via your electronic devices such as step counters and heart rate monitors, and community policing (do you see someone who looks too fat? Call the cops. Is someone eating too many calories? Call the cops. Someone is being lax during mandated exercise periods? Call the cops.). These measures would create a direct and almost immediate impact on the average US life expectancy, and would certainly save more lives than the coronavirus lockdown, while having less economic impact, and arguably less impact on personal freedoms.

We're probably heading that way. It'll be interesting to see how much more attention than normal seasonal flu gets when coronavirus has passed.

It's just the flu, settle down.

the left that wants to decriminalize knowingly transmitting hiv is the same left that wants zero tolerance on covid, when there is no other public health risk with the same zero tolerance approach being used to justify a loss of freedom.

it's also the same left that wants to protect against "fat shaming" but has gleefully engaged in various forms of covid-shaming, including the surge of "told you so" news stories about supposed "deniers" who then got covid.

cognitive dissonance.

giphy.gif

You should change your picture from an elf to a troll.
576881.jpg

We're probably heading that way. It'll be interesting to see how much more attention than normal seasonal flu gets when coronavirus has passed.

The flu is the most talked about virus every single year. I'm sure you've noticed that every year there is a heavy focus on getting flu shots and holding flu clinics. Why would there be more of a focus than we already have?

It mostly comes down to people making the same amount or more sitting at home than working want this to continue. There is really no other logical reason to want this to last indefinitely. Wear a mask out and don't go to nursing homes.

The flu is the most talked about virus every single year. I'm sure you've noticed that every year there is a heavy focus on getting flu shots and holding flu clinics. Why would there be more of a focus than we already have?
Sure, but what I'm wondering is if there will be a new level of hysteria surrounding it with running death tallies on the news like coronavirus. For example, we've discussed swine flu. If that happened 2 years from now instead of 2009, would the response be the same?

1 out of every 4 deaths in the US is due to heart disease. That's a death every 37 seconds. If lives are more important than freedom or economic factors, why do we not restructure society around fighting heart disease? It could come in the form of a ban on unhealthy foods, state monitoring of your exercise levels via your electronic devices such as step counters and heart rate monitors, and community policing (do you see someone who looks too fat? Call the cops. Is someone eating too many calories? Call the cops. Someone is being lax during mandated exercise periods? Call the cops.). These measures would create a direct and almost immediate impact on the average US life expectancy, and would certainly save more lives than the coronavirus lockdown, while having less economic impact, and arguably less impact on personal freedoms.

Eating unhealthy is something we have an option to do. EVERYONE does it a little, sometimes, or alot cause we all love sweets like candy, chocolate, soda etc.... We also love our salty snacks and our fats. Now when it comes to Covid no one loves it and no one wants to get it. Did you not know the difference TS? I mean you should of thought about this before you made this very thumb thread.

giphy.gif

Sure, but what I'm wondering is if there will be a new level of hysteria surrounding it with running death tallies on the news like coronavirus. For example, we've discussed swine flu. If that happened 2 years from now instead of 2009, would the response be the same?

The level of hysteria is a direct result of the way that Covid19 wreaked havoc on Italy, Spain, and now America, all without any effective antivirals or availability of a vaccine in the near future. It's not just some media creation, it's a very real situation. The unpredictability Covid19 made it far more troubling for everybody, for good reason.

The reason we have a running death tally is because we had to take measures to flatten the curve, and because we have very little idea of what to expect. We have a very good idea of what to expect from the flu. We know the general range, we know the availability of antivirals and when to expect vaccinations, etc.

I think if we encountered another novel Flu that posed a significant risk, people would just be more prepared this time since we've been through this social distancing process. I don't think we'd initiate lockdowns or anything like that, I just think some people would choose to break out their old Covid masks and be more aware of their proximity.

In a lot of ways, I feel like people are really arguing against extremes, from other extremes, when in reality the majority of the country is being very reasonable about all of this.

This thread

giphy.gif

However much of a twat this guy is, and it's not insignificant, that people take the time to do stuff like this really speaks to there being an underlying reality to "TDS." This much creative energy devoted to a sort of latent hatred of such an unworthy douche likely isn't healthy. Vote him out, or wait for his term limits to be done, and call it a day. Hatred of Trump has become a hyperbolic fetish of the West at this point.

Eating unhealthy is something we have an option to do. EVERYONE does it a little, sometimes, or alot cause we all love sweets like candy, chocolate, soda etc.... We also love our salty snacks and our fats. Now when it comes to Covid no one loves it and no one wants to get it. Did you not know the difference TS? I mean you should of thought about this before you made this very thumb thread.

giphy.gif
<Huh2>

You don't seem to have thought that through very well.

Doing what you just did in the opposite direction would be to say people like going out in public and earning a living, but when it comes to heart disease, nobody loves it and nobody wants to get to get it.

I don't know the difference. I'm talking about saving lives. You seem to be talking about something else.

The level of hysteria is a direct result of the way that Covid19 wreaked havoc on Italy, Spain, and now America, all without any effective antivirals or availability of a vaccine in the near future. It's not just some media creation, it's a very real situation. The unpredictability Covid19 made it far more troubling for everybody, for good reason.

The reason we have a running death tally is because we had to take measures to flatten the curve, and because we have very little idea of what to expect. We have a very good idea of what to expect from the flu. We know the general range, we know the availability of antivirals and when to expect vaccinations, etc.

I think if we encountered another novel Flu that posed a significant risk, people would just be more prepared this time since we've been through this social distancing process. I don't think we'd initiate lockdowns or anything like that, I just think some people would choose to break out their old Covid masks and be more aware of their proximity.

In a lot of ways, I feel like people are really arguing against extremes, from other extremes, when in reality the majority of the country is being very reasonable about all of this.
Swine flu was pretty deadly. It just wasn't hyped. Some estimates have swine flu deaths at around 500,000 worldwide. Don't mistake me for saying coronavirus isn't serious. I'm just wondering if the reaction we see to it is a sign of the times. Will we panic every flu season now?

Why is no one addressing why this isn't a good idea? I'm dead serious. I am always on here raising awareness about heart disease and obesity-related risks. If we are now going to be in the business of "new normals", I want heart disease to get in on this. With the new safety-first culture, obesity should become public enemy number 1.

Back