why my leg kick always land on my foot not my shin?

rizky

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I always practice with my shin but when it comes to spar i always land it on my foot and it doesnt bother my opponent? Any tips?

Gotta get closer. Maybe try faking a punch before you kick.

footwork and timing. you either got to step forward to get close enough, or kick as the guy comes forward.

that being said: nothing wrong with a solid lowkick with the foot. as long as you know what you are doing.

Most likely you're too afraid of your sparring partner and thus throwing them from too far away.

Because you're leaning backward instead of trying to lean more forward when you kick

Throw it when you feel like you are too close. If you're setting it up with punches first, most opponents retreat. Unless you are filling the space as he is creating it, what seems like the correct distance becomes a longer range than you anticipated.

leanback too far. instead you should lean forward but keep your head off center (like taking an angle). also pivoting on the foot gives a lot of distance

Another possible reason is that your leg is bent too much in the knee. Try keeping your leg more straight/extended.

All good answers so far!
I found for my self, having shorter legs, I really try to get closer to my target by stepping in and out on an angle (this seems obvious but worth mentioning). If you step straight in you're more likely to get countered and your kick will be "shallow". Stepping out to the left (assuming you're orthodox) while advancing keeps you safer and opens your hips which will allow for a longer reach on your kic. This is assuming you're kicking correctly and rotating your hips etc.

3 possible reasons:
- You're bad at judging distance.
- You don't step in deep enough.
- You don't engage your hips.

Watch this:

You're not in proper range dude. It happens in the beginning and you just need time sparring to get that feel

Back