Why Middleweight Is Now the Most Exciting Division.

It's become better lately, but it's hardly the most exicting or deepest division. Ffs, Boetsch, a former 205 journeyman, managed to become top 5 just like that.

There are a lot of exciting matchups, certainly. But there's still no real challenges to Silva. It's the perfect scenario for a guy to put together a solid win streak by being exciting more than having the skills to be a contender for the throne.

On the other hand, Souza versus Roger Gracie? Munoz versus Kennedy? Anderson versus whoever? It's still a fun division to watch.

It's been an exciting division with a decent talent pool for some time, people just like to discredit Anderson Silva.

Also, I'd list Rockhold among those who "can do everything". Hope he gets a title shot soon.

In the past year it looks as though Middleweight has had a sudden rush of top talent coming up. They've quickly made it to the top of the division and now the days of Patrick Cote & Thales Leites fighting for the title are long gone and there are at least 10 good fights to fill out Anderson Silvas 10 fight contract. So right now middleweight has:

- The champions of the top 3 companies in the world(UFC, Bellator and the recently closed Strikeforce)
- Five of the best grapplers in the world(Roger, Jacare, Palhares, Shields and Weidman)
- Great strikers(Anderson, Cung Le, Vitor, Phillipou among others)
- Strong wrestlers(Munoz, Weidman, Sonnen, Okami)
- Fighters who can do everything(Bisping, Lombard, Weidman, Franklin)
- American heroes(Stann and Kennedy)
- Exciting mid level fighters(Belcher, Herman, Larkin)

And with the possible middleweight return of Mousasi I really can't wait to see how this all plays out. You'd be a fool to still call this division 'weak'.

I_approve_of_this_post_by_iwoenai.jpg

It's been an exciting division with a decent talent pool for some time, people just like to discredit Anderson Silva.

Its had its share of good matches down the years and I think its relative disorganisation means there are alot of fresh matches aswell, the problem becomes when Anderson fans start to equate that with in having the same level of talent at the very top as say LHW or WW.

Also, I'd list Rockhold among those who "can do everything". Hope he gets a title shot soon.

The problem I see is that I'm not sure any of those guys "who can do everything" can do anything really well, Rockholds grappling may proove to be an effective weapon but I don't think its really been tested much yet.

You look at the very best guys in the sport and they can generally "do everything" but ontop of that also have at least one clear strenght.

Divisions with strong champions are shallow, weak, and overrated.

Fair call mate and I agree, there are a lot of very interesting matchups you can make. Though if Anderson goes through and keeps beating everyone you can guarantee people will still say it's weak.

when he only defends the title once per year? unlikely.

The days of Cote and Leites? Well those were also the days of Rich Franklin, Dan Henderson, Chael Sonnen, Nate Marquardt, Yushin Okami, and Demian Maia. The new crop of MWs still have a little ways to go to prove they are on the level of these guys.

LHW is a murderer's row, it's just that none of them can beat Jones.

All the non-title fights are fascinating.

sounds a lot like another division not far away.

hint, it's not HW.

People are sleeping on MWs for a while, 2012 showed that it is a strong and entertaining division with the best champion in the entire organization.

he's fought twice every year since 2009 though. and 3 times 2008 - 2007

he's been the most consistant champion in UFC history.

last year he was out until july, defended the title vs sonnen, went on vacation, came back to fight bonnar :)icon_lol:) then went on another vacation. i think that's more indicative of what he's planning on doing for the rest of his career as opposed to what he may have done 3-4 years ago.

The days of Cote and Leites? Well those were also the days of Rich Franklin, Dan Henderson, Chael Sonnen, Nate Marquardt, Yushin Okami, and Demian Maia. The new crop of MWs still have a little ways to go to prove they are on the level of these guys.

so now demian maia was good? make up your mind, man. that's not helping your argument when you say weidman hasn't done anything.

last year he was out until july, defended the title vs sonnen, went on vacation, came back to fight bonnar :)icon_lol:) then went on another vacation. i think that's more indicative of what he's planning on doing for the rest of his career as opposed to what he may have done 3-4 years ago.

i'm with you 100% when he's actually fighting once a year, they need to fight more than that without doubt, just don't think it's fair to bash him for it yet though.

MW still doesn't really appeal to me, honestly. I haven't seen anything from any of the contenders to suggest they'd put on a competitive match with Neo. I'm not saying that there are not deserving challengers with regards to their fighting record.

I just have no interest in seeing Andy finish out his career with sparring matches. I don't care if he has to fight HW's I'd like to see him challenged.

Also I just dont' understand the constant inclusion of Okami. He never had, and will never have, a chance at beating Andy. It was a ludicrous convenience based decision to give him the shot in the first place, IMO.

I agree its a very exciting division at the moment. Loads of amazing matches to be made over the next few years! More exciting matchups than any other division at the moment. They are all extremely talented and hungry for that belt.

Last edited:
Back