Why McGregor Might Reject Late-Notice Opponent If Khabib Pulls Out of UFC 229

I'm not going to watch your video but I think Conor would fight Diaz as a replacement if they asked because he's never shied away from short notice fights. People on Sherdog act like he's scared of people but he never even hesitated to take short notice fights on multiple occasions. Diaz he's familiar with and his loss was due to arrogance which he corrected in the second fight and Porier is a hill billy
It's cool mate. No worries. It's just for context.

Conor isn't afraid. Definitely not. My argument is more is business related. Even if you were told weeks in advanced that a replacement is available, it feels a bit amatuerish to have a fighter prepare for two different fighters at this level.

Doubt it, he signed to fight Khabib and there isn't a matchup worse for him.

If Khabib does pull you can be damn sure the UFC will strip him and make the new fight for the belt.

they should strip him if he pulls out....when was the last time a champion has ever pulled out of a boxing match, due to an alleged injury? how many times has floyd mayweather pulled out? how many times did Ali pull out or any great world champion? very very rarely...it's almost unheard of...If khabib pulls out, he should be stripped of the title completely and have conor fight tony for the title...

Conor will never fight a fighter in training camp on short notice.....Meaning he won't fight Kevin Lee/Tony Ferguson, who are already training for other fights.

He only fights guys with no training like Manlet Mendes and Cabo Diaz..........who were drinking tequila and fucking bitches before the call, and have like 10 days to prepare.

That's the only way he fights on short notice, the man has no balls.
ROFL you Conor haters get more and more creative every time he proves you wrong.

Conor really receives no credit around here. He gets shit on for accepting short notice fights when others in his position have tanked entire cards and get credit for being “smart.”
I give McGregor a huge amount of credit for what he has done in the past in terms of accepting late notice fights. But I also wouldn't expect him to take a late notice replacement here.

ROFL you Conor haters get more and more creative every time he proves you wrong.
Proved me wrong?

The only time he proved me wrong was when I thought Conor had enough to finish Cabo Diaz, a man without training camp and a gatekeeper at Lightweight.......But boy was I wrong...Conor got killed by Cabo Diaz, literally a man who was drinking tequila and fucking bitches 10 days before in Cabo....That's fucking embarrassing.

Conor really receives no credit around here. He gets shit on for accepting short notice fights when others in his position have tanked entire cards and get credit for being “smart.”

He was set for massive paydays in those instances, the other guys who tanked cards were gonna get paid peanuts. And he has a history of picking stylistically advantageous opponents, at 189 he picked Mendes, who was out of shape, instead of Edgar, who is always in shape and was a horrible fight for him because of his great wrestling/top game/movement/chin/recovery, and at 196 he picked Nate, a plodding brawler who was wildly out of shape, which blew up in his face when he got stopped within two rounds.

I give McGregor a huge amount of credit for what he has done in the past in terms of accepting late notice fights. But I also wouldn't expect him to take a late notice replacement here.

You have to understand Conor will. His management team may advise against it, although I'm sure they know better than to do that. There is no fear there.

Conor will never fight a fighter in training camp on short notice.....Meaning he won't fight Kevin Lee/Tony Ferguson, who are already training for other fights.

He only fights guys with no training like Manlet Mendes and Cabo Diaz..........who were drinking tequila and fucking bitches before the call, and have like 10 days to prepare.

hahahah...so fighting the best wrestler on a weeks notice, is conor not having balls? how is it conor's fault that aldo cried injury(which was fake)? how is that conor's fault...conor fought the guy the ufc put in front of him...and if you honestly think mendes wasn't training the entire time, you're naive...go listen to what mendes was saying before the fight...listen to what his team was saying before the fight..how he was in such great fight...it's only after he got destroyed, did the excuses flow...

You're just a hater. nothing more...that's what usually happens, when a guy pulls out, the guy you bring in, is almost always on short training camp...but aldo has a long reputation for pulling out of fights...you don't think alpha male knew that. and mendes was training the entire time...don't be naive.

I really don’t want to discuss all of these pull outs. Let’s just assume everything is going to be fine.

Mendes said he was training in case Aldo pulled out, and took a short few days off for a quick hunting trip. Conor himself mentions in his post-fight interview that he had to shoot backup interviews about Mendes alongside his Aldo ones in case Aldo pulled out.

Mendes was always supposed to replace Aldo.

Proved me wrong?

The only time he proved me wrong was when I thought Conor had enough to finish Cabo Diaz, a man without training camp and a gatekeeper at Lightweight.......But boy was I wrong...Conor got killed by Cabo Diaz, literally a man who was drinking tequila and fucking bitches 10 days before in Cabo....That's fucking embarrassing.

How can I prove you wrong about a hypothetical situation that you made up?

I highly doubt it. I'm no fan of Conor but you can't say he'll refuse to fight short notice opponents.

It's cool mate. No worries. It's just for context.

Conor isn't afraid. Definitely not. My argument is more is business related. Even if you were told weeks in advanced that a replacement is available, it feels a bit amatuerish to have a fighter prepare for two different fighters at this level.
Conor is pretty confident in himself and he's still going to get paid, likely even more money because they UFC knows if Conor doesn't take a replacement the card is done. He fought Chad instead of Aldo and they are completely different fighters.

This site used to have only a small % of posters were conor haters...now, they are the majority...very few people seem to ever defend him...they down play all his achievements...they over exaggerate things. "his cardio is terrible" you hear all the time. yet, he beat a diaz in a 5 round fight..that went all 5 rounds...getting tired is not gassing...everyone gets tired...nate got tired also...they down play is wins, by saying he beats smaller guys...ummm, they fought in the same weight class...they are not smaller fighters... conor has never once missed weight..not ever..and other fighters don't cut alot of weight?

I get that!

My gut feeling is that Conor would accept a late replacement because he has in the past. But the UFC has a bad history recently of very late scratches that devastate cards. Fingers crossed everything is cool this time.

He was set for massive paydays in those instances, the other guys who tanked cards were gonna get paid peanuts. And he has a history of picking stylistically advantageous opponents, at 189 he picked Mendes, who was out of shape, instead of Edgar, who is always in shape and was a horrible fight for him because of his great wrestling/top game/movement/chin/recovery, and at 196 he picked Nate, a plodding brawler who was wildly out of shape, which blew up in his face when he got stopped within two rounds.

Bullshit. Conor’s title shot was on the line against Mendes who, at the time, was one of the worst stylistic match ups for him. Very, very few other fighters would have risked the shot like that. The pay is relative; these guys forgo paydays to ensure they don’t risk a big fight unprepared.

Conor can be criticized for a fair amount, but questioning his will to be there on fight night is certainly not one of them.

Bullshit. Conor’s title shot was on the line against Mendes who, at the time, was one of the worst stylistic match ups for him. Very, very few other fighters would have risked the shot like that. The pay is relative; these guys forgo paydays to ensure they don’t risk a big fight unprepared.

Conor can be criticized for a fair amount, but questioning his will to be there on fight night is certainly not one of them.
It was between Mendes and Edgar, and both Conor and Zuffa chose Mendes for a reason, everyone knew he wasn't going to have the conditioning to go more than a round or two, and everyone knew Frankie would.

they should strip him if he pulls out....when was the last time a champion has ever pulled out of a boxing match, due to an alleged injury? how many times has floyd mayweather pulled out? how many times did Ali pull out or any great world champion? very very rarely...it's almost unheard of...If khabib pulls out, he should be stripped of the title completely and have conor fight tony for the title...
I wouldn't normally agree because injuries in mma are more frequent than in boxing but because of the stakes at UFC 229, and Khabibs multiple pullouts in the past, yeah he will probably be stripped if he does pull.

He wont turn it down. He's been out too long, needs to fight and wants the money.

Back