Why McGregor Beats the Snot Out of Aldo (Feel free to Bump In the Future)

Aldo is used to fighting smaller guys like Edgar, Mendes, Swanson etc. and hasn't faced someone of the physical size of McGregor.
As others have pointed out, Aldo has faced guys bigger than him. The size discrepancy isn't so wide that it will present a problem.

A lot of people on here say that Aldo is faster ... NO he ain't. McGregor's speed is incredible, even in slow motion, he is moving so fast.
I don't think either guy is fast enough to make it a factor in this fight. More important is the meta-game. When you're a counter-puncher, you use attacks to draw an opponent to a specific action, then counter through the utilization of speed and power. To casual fans, this may look like "pure speed", but if you've baited someone into an attack, it's all meta-game to exploit them.

Do I expect both guys to beat the other to a punch a few times? Without a doubt. But if you're suggesting that Conor is just going to flat-out run circles around Aldo, that's ridiculous.

No other featherweights hit with the same power as McGregor.
Conor does hit hard, while Aldo has a strong chin. Aldo also hits hard, while Conor's chin is unknown. It'd be best for either guy to avoid getting hit too often.

Strength also comes into play with grappling, of which I've seen that Aldo is capable. McGregor remains an unknown with elite competition.

The biggest weapon of McGregor is his self-belief. He is fearless and doesn't fear Aldo at all. He is going to land on Aldo and take him apart.
As a challenger or a professional fighter, you'd better be confident. But Aldo isn't the champion by mistake. Aldo very much believes in himself and doesn't fear Conor, otherwise he wouldn't be at the top for so long. Let's not act like this is a remote inkling of an advantage for Conor, any more than it was an advantage for Sonnen. Promoting yourself is well and good, but Aldo isn't weak in this area.

Where confidence can be swayed, is in the heat of the moment, not before the fight. Confidence will come into play when adversity takes the forefront, and you have to maintain your composure. Everything changes when you get hit, or realize your plan A isn't working as well as you thought. For me, confidence comes into true effect, when you don't have an advantage, and bump up against doubt.

Aldo has faced down the worst in his division, and guys who've actually held top spots because they were that good. That's not to say that Conor isn't that good, but there isn't any question that Edgar or Mendes are absolutely elite. Aldo has that experience, while Conor does not. We'll see how his confidence holds up during his first real test. Personally, I don't think he will win, but I hope he does well. The lighter weight divisions need star power and even in losing, he'd have great fights ahead of him.

Most of the people that say Aldo wins is by "leg kicks" and "take downs" ... Aldo ain't going to be able to take Conor down, period. Aldo has strong leg kicks and McGregor may eat a few, but it won't be enough to stop him. By the time the leg kicks start doing any damage, Aldo is going to be a bloody mess.
I think the leg kicks will be a factor, but not by themselves. Aldo puts together very nice combinations to set them up, and that's where points are scored and momentum shifts. Judges like the flurries, aggression, and control.

Conor has a tendency to move straight back, then come forward, in order to take advantage of his range and counter-punching. He likes to use spinning kicks to advance or pressure his opponents. Meanwhile, Aldo likes to come forward and is comfortable at any distance. We'll see how Conor reacts when forced out of his comfort zone.

10896892_773186059437569_5492621992886435581_n.jpg

I have to agree with Goonerview here - Siver got lucky... twice!

1st luck at 4:22:
20u4vv4.gif

2nd luck at 2:34:
2aexfkj.gif

As a side effect of his Karate stance, he is vulnerable to leg kicks, although some results in the past indicate he can overcome that difficulty as he has broken a leg on a check early in his career against Conor Dillon.

[GFY]LeftHorribleHoopoe[/GFY]

In the UFC against Max Holloway, Conor broke Max's foot on a check as well.

[TWEET]368925750377717760[/TWEET]

Here is my analysis on how this fight goes down, feel free to bump this if Aldo proves me wrong (he won't).

Why McGregor wins:

1. Size difference:

McGregor is 175cm and reach of 74 inches.

Aldo is 170 cm and 70 inch reach.

Aldo is used to fighting smaller guys like Edgar, Mendes, Swanson etc. and hasn't faced someone of the physical size of McGregor. McGregor will be towering over Aldo and he first to the jab/straight.

Dennis Siver is also 170cm ... same height at Aldo, just to use him as an image of what it will be like.

2. Speed:

A lot of people on here say that Aldo is faster ... NO he ain't. McGregor's speed is incredible, even in slow motion, he is moving so fast. He moves like Neo from the Matrix.

conor-16.gif

3. Strength:

No other featherweights hit with the same power as McGregor. Poirer got rekt in the first round and Poirer went 4 rounds with KZ and proven to be robust and resilient, as has Siver, who is also notoriously difficult to put away.

4. Confidence:

The biggest weapon of McGregor is his self-belief. He is fearless and doesn't fear Aldo at all. He is going to land on Aldo and take him apart.

Aldo is already losing the psychological game by "refusing to get in the octagon" and using the lame "Conor didn't win within 2 minutes" "moral victory" line in his interviews (as if that is even a legit put down) "Haha, you didn't KO your opponent in the first 2 minutes!, you suck!" SMH ...

5. Movement

McGregor is a master of human movement, he is in and out of the pocket, cutting angles. He is constantly changing up his stances and is just a free style fighter. His style is impossible to replicate and for Aldo to find training partners that can emulate his style. McGregor can find training fighters to emulate Aldo's size and stance ... McGregor is going to be better prepared to handle Aldo, than Aldo is to handle McGregor.

Most of the people that say Aldo wins is by "leg kicks" and "take downs" ... Aldo ain't going to be able to take Conor down, period. Aldo has strong leg kicks and McGregor may eat a few, but it won't be enough to stop him. By the time the leg kicks start doing any damage, Aldo is going to be a bloody mess.

To conclude (and to quote the band Daft Punk), McGregor is bigger, better, faster, stronger than Aldo.

How the fight will go:

Aldo comes out, but Conor keeps the range, moving in and out of the pocket and landing at will. Starts to bloody Aldo up in the first, like he did to Siver. Aldo lands a couple of punches and kicks here and there, but they don't phase McGregor. As the damage builds up on Aldo, he is going to panic and start to commit more to his punches and kicks, leaving himself open to counters ... McGregor is then going to step back and start landing heavy counters ... rocking the champion and bringing him down. I predict a 2nd or 3rd round TKO for McGregor.

Bookmark this. I will and I will bring it back up when McGregor is champion.

The problem is you're basing this all on 5 fights against people who don't have even 1% of Aldo's skill. Conor has never been in the cage with someone like Aldo and it will show.

Why doesn't he give aldo a rematch? Answer: he knows he got lucky!

Back