1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »
Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Social Why Matthew Yglesias Left Vox

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Lead, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Lead /Led/ blanket Platinum Member

So Ygelsias is out at Vox. Still seems like a friendly transition as he will continue doing his Weeds podcast for Vox still but will not longer be writing for them. Big loss for the publication imo as him and Klein are the top contributors there.

From this interview with him, they seem to cite two reasons for his departure:
    1 'His managers wanted him to maintain a “restrained, institutional, statesmanlike voice,” he told me in a phone interview, in part because he was a co-founder of Vox. But as a relative moderate at the publication, he felt at times that it was important to challenge what he called the “dominant sensibility” in the “young-college-graduate bubble” that now sets the tone at many digital-media organizations.'
    2 'One trend that exacerbated that challenge: colleagues in media treating the expression of allegedly problematic ideas as if they were a human-resources issue. Earlier this year, for instance, after Yglesias signed a group letter published in Harper’s magazine objecting to cancel culture, one of his colleagues, Emily VanDerWerff, told Vox editors that his signature made her feel “less safe at Vox.”......
    I asked Yglesias if that matter in any way motivated his departure. “Something we’ve seen in a lot of organizations is increasing sensitivity about language and what people say,” he told me. “It’s a damaging trend in the media in particular because it is an industry that’s about ideas, and if you treat disagreement as a source of harm or personal safety, then it’s very challenging to do good work.”'

For more on the article:
    Why Matthew Yglesias Left Vox
    The Atlantic
    [​IMG]

He touches some issues he has found with the media recently, some of his own differences with the left, and I'm sure we will start hearing more about it with his shift to his own blog.

I'd strongly recommend if you don't know this guy to read some of his stuff or check out the Weed's podcast. He is a clear example of diversity on the left leaning side and his takes/ political interests are often unique and underrepresented.

He's moved over to his own blog on Substack, a service that allows bloggers to create their own content and charge a subscription for access to their content. I highly recommend giving his page a try:
    https://www.slowboring.com/?s=03

Additionally, here's a recent episode of the weeds discussing the prospects of Biden's upcoming term, his chance of getting anything accomplished with a divided congress, and aspects of the labor market
    https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...ake-a-biden-boom/id1042433083?i=1000498429665

2. GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom. Platinum Member

@Lead, with all due respect, who gives a shit?

Project 2501 and brother mouzone like this.
  3. TheOneAboveAll3 Banned Banned

If I remember correct I believe @Jacksavage has listed him as one of his favorite leftist. Personally I dont watch him.

4. Lead /Led/ blanket Platinum Member

Thought it was an interesting topic and thus made a thread. I know it isn't as popular as BLM, COVID, or election fraud and it might not interest most people but I've made peace with that.

5. Yehudim Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

He’s one Joe Rogan appearance away from being referred to as a right wing grifter

6. Lead /Led/ blanket Platinum Member

Jack reads his stuff as well, along with Klein's.

7. Lead /Led/ blanket Platinum Member

I don't think he'd be opposed to going on those platforms. He already went on Shapiro's show but so did Klein. Something like Rubin report though would be pretty funny because Rubin doesn't really have any depth while Matt is very policy/detail oriented.

He fits into a narrative Rogan probably would like having on the show but I don't think Matt necessarily wants to feed that.

8. wonderbread Stiff Member Banned

9. ElKarlo Yellow Card Yellow Card

Think there's a trend of real journalists leaving these companies. There's too much restraint and even mores limiting what you can say and do.
    Hopefully they don't restart this whole woke nonsense and cancel culture again. That's where they went wrong.

10. Lead /Led/ blanket Platinum Member

A side piece to this topic is Substack which I wasn't aware of til this development. Andrew Sullivan and Glenn Greenwald both left their publications as well and moved over there. For the people who think Patreon was a big deal, they should also look at Substack writers and consider getting some content from there. I could see many who do editorials going that route in the future if they feel they have enough of a following. Not sure if it will improve or hurt the quality of their work but definitely something to watch for.

11. ElKarlo Yellow Card Yellow Card

That's why I mentioned a trend. Glenn was ery recent and a pretty big deal. Substack might be the next news blog. Like youtube but for articles.
    Would be nice, especially if they stay away from nonsense and actually reported news. Feel like most news now is poorly put together school cafeteria food. And some of these guys are like chefs and can't handle that

12. Lead /Led/ blanket Platinum Member

I don't know if they'll be able to do as much reporting as maybe opinion articles. It's possible though if they are in a very specific field maybe but it can be expensive if it's something that requires travel and resources. Major publications still have a place for sure for that reason. Having independent writers just also helps keep things healthier imo.

13. Trotsky Banned Banned

This doesn't even make any sense. You're displeased with editorializing and analysis instead of simply dry factual reporting (i.e
    "just report the news). But you liken Yglesias and Greenwald, both of whom primarily editorialize and neither of whom do much original reporting (GG does more), to chefs?

14. Kandyland Banned Banned

Vox would be great toilet paper if it was a printed version.

They are such a terrible publication.

15. Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

I wouldn't say that, but I do like him a lot.

TheOneAboveAll3 likes this.
  16. ElKarlo Yellow Card Yellow Card

True they would need a budget. I do think some of these guys have the money to do so though.

17. Wadtucket Yellow Card Yellow Card

Reminder that this is the literal soy boy @Jack V Savage blows his wad over (and in) smh

brother mouzone likes this.
  18. ElKarlo Yellow Card Yellow Card

Because there hasn't been any news reputed I a long time. Fact wise.
    There also hasn't been anything broken via investigation journalism.
    Basically journalists now is Googling Rhode Island a drinking out it was a plantation.
    Traditional news media offers us nothing

19. Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

Yeah, it's the opposite. All three of the people being talked about are old-school star bloggers who do opinion stuff and don't like the constraints of working at places that are more similar to traditional news media. They want to do less news and have more editorial control. Perfectly understandable from their perspective. It's like if a stand-up gets a hit TV show and misses just being able to do his own thing.

Lead likes this.
  20. MoparOrNoCar Silver Belt

The lack of testosterone in this man is concerning. Check this out. Makes Shapiro sound like Sam Elliott.

Handsome Bruce and Wadtucket like this.