why liddels looping punches work

Boomstick said:
I call it 95% of the other MMA fighters have shitty defense and the other 5% try to trade with a guy who can punch. I mean seriously have you ever seen to many MMA fighters slip a punch, parry, or even skillfully block a punch with something other than their face.

Chuck has decent power and times people pretty well with decent shots that seem to come out of nowwhere. He has decently quick hands and can combo. He is the best striker in MMA but is that really saying all that much? that is like saying a Vespa is the fastest scooter but when you compare the other scooters to a Vespa you see why real quick
gomi vs pulver,there was a lot of punching,combos,head shots,body shots,parrying,slipping and blocking,best display of boxing in mma imo

Slightly off topic, but to be honest Chuck's Takedown Defence isn't that impressive... heis sprawl is good, but the main reason he is so hard to keep on the ground is that he uses the cage to pull/push himself back up again. His loss to Rampage was to a large extent because he's used to simply getting straight up off the ground, and so has poor ground grappling (both Rampage and Randy passed his gaurd, to which he simply sticks his arms in the air and flails).

You know, I'm a big user of straight punches, but sometimes when you see guys use looping punches like Chuck, I think it's actually a sign of a more advanced striker.

Put it this way. If everyone you fought was a complete idiot or beginner, you would only need to use straight punches. The purpose of the hook is to get around the guard from the straight punches, and the uppercut is best used when the hook is being blocked at close quarters.

When guys are really good at defending the basic boxing arsenal, it's the looping punches and overhands that start messing with them. I'm sure Chuck Liddell, in all his years of martial arts, can throw the basic punches of boxing. The looping ones just keep guys on their toes, and hey, they work for him, so why not use them?

I used to get frustrated with the stand-up in MMA, because I came from a background in karate and Krav Maga, and I learned boxing, but I never had an "alive" background in stand-up. (I do wrestle though) So when I saw a lack of form in the Octagon I though it was because they were bad strikers. Actually it's because sparring and fighting is not as pretty as shadowboxing and the heavybag.

liddell has a natural ability to throw an effective punch.
it isnt textbook, but that is what makes his punch effective.
he has good hand speed
his punches come at you from different angles making it hard to predict where they will land so you have a hard time blocking or countering
i agree that when you are a fighter who throws mainly punches, you have to be confident that you have a good chin, and cant be afraid of being hit.

Madmick said:
Based on what? Not opponents or record, obviously.

So I'm guessing your approach is theoretical. What about Arlovski's striking is superior?

I swear, the way people talk about Andrei, it's as though they forgot grappling is his BASE. He was a 2x national sambo champ, for christ's sake.
Fuck records or opponents. That's my opinion, Chuck is not as good a striker as Arlovski.

Iceman5592 said:
I used to get frustrated with the stand-up in MMA, because I came from a background in karate and Krav Maga, and I learned boxing, but I never had an "alive" background in stand-up. (I do wrestle though) So when I saw a lack of form in the Octagon I though it was because they were bad strikers. Actually it's because sparring and fighting is not as pretty as shadowboxing and the heavybag.

I go by the old school principle-I train how I fight and I fight how I train. Everything i do in training I do in sparring if I train straight tight crisp punches i throw tight crisp punches in sparring if I work on head movement I use head movement. That is the reason why you train to put principles into practice.
Also the sloppy motherfuckers dont look good training or sparring and they usually have short sparring careers because as soon as they get in with someone who can apply the basics of boxing they get beat up fairly badly. A looping punch is the easiest to block because it takes the longest to get there and when you throw a looper it takes more energy to do so than if you threw a straight punch. It is also easier to time a looper because you can see them getting ready to throw a punch by how they cock their arm, move their body and tense up.

How bout the look on Overeem's face when he got smacked by Chucks over hand - one of his eyes went lazy- it was money baby-

I dunno if I would call Chuck the best striker - I don't care what anyone says about why Rampage wooped Chucks ass, the fact is he stoped him with a crisp straight jabs - He got inside Chucks effective but self-exposing overhands just like Randy Couture did in their first match. So I mean, if someone with basic boxing skills and some huevos like rampage can get inside the "Best striker in MMA" well that makes my Brown pacific islander ass a lil skeptical - ya know what I mean

Back