Why Jones Will Beat Cormier... Again

Pain4Pain

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
As you all know, Jones is highly regarded for his fight IQ as it can't be denied that even when he comes up short in the first or second rounds of the handful of competitive fights he has been in, he manages to figure out a way to beat his opponents.

Anyhow, here is my breakdown:

I believe that Jones performed worse in this fight due to the animosity that built up between the two fighters well before fight week. In this fight, was saw Jones and DC fighting emotionally, and it impacted Jones's game plan more severely than it did Cormier's. This is because Jon is used to picking apart his opponents at what they're weakest at, and especially at a distance where he can strike with no worry of being countered by a powerful punch or kick. When he fought Rampage, he ran and he almost entirely avoided exchanging in the pocket and picked him apart either from a distance, against the cage or on the ground.

cormier%2Buppercut.gif

When he fought Glover he only exchanged with >2 strike combos in the pocket when Glover had his back against the fence, where he is unable to generate as much power and has to worry about the TDs.

He even went far enough as beating Daniel soundly at his own game.

Jon%2BJones%2BTrip%2BTake%2BDowns%2BDaniel%2BCormier%2BUFC%2B182.gif

Cormier rumored that he made some adjustments in training during an interview weeks before Jones v DC 2. Despite this, Cormier and Jones are close in speed, but DC is disadvantaged in size, reach, endurance and striking.

Jones v DC 2:

I predict that Jones will implement a lot of uppercuts during this fight when DC tries to close the distance.

In boxing, the uppercut is one of the best counters against shorter opponents who attempt to close the distance. It is less effective against taller opponents because it is more telegraphed as the punch must travel a farther distance in travelling from the upper abdomen to the opponent's chin, resulting in a semicircle path. Shorter fighters are typically more adept at avoiding straight punches and hooks than against taller fighters. This is because their shorter stature makes it easier for them to weave underneath hooks as they employ a crouched stance against taller opponents to make it easier for them to slip straight punches.

However, a well placed uppercut is hard to avoid when charging forward as it throws you off balance.

Notice how short Conor's uppercut needs to travel to Brimage's chin.

mcgregor-knockout.gif

Gustaffson's uppercuts v. Teixera speaks for itself, so I don't need to explain this.

The uppercut can also be used by shorter fighters in devastating fashion ONCE THEY CLOSE THE DISTANCE. As long as a shorter fighter closes the distance, they can devastate taller fights with powerful hooks and uppercuts as long as they fight in close quarters. Once a shorter guy closes the distance, the taller fighter is at a defensive disadvantage as they can't weave through punches as easily as the shorter guys can and they lose a lot of power as they can't strike in their optimal range to fully engage their kinetic chain.

3827703-2838454487-Tyson.gif

23r3ebr.jpg

Alright enough of the uppercuts, outside of that Jon will do well by using his long jabs, eye pokes, and rangy kicks to keep Cormier away. I don't even need to comment on the grappling.

Also, hopefully he utilizes more knees in this fight as well.

method_get_s_jon-jones-shogun-gif.gif

I am not a Cormier hater but I have no need to explain how he can win as the odds are severely against him. I feel that the Gus/Cormier fight showed Jon just so many more tools he can implement against DC. Outside of good boxing and KO power, Jones simply does not have any holes in his game.

Before you couch potatoes call me out my experience is as follows: Recreational boxing/mostly self-trained for 5 years w/a lot of sparring throughout, muay thai less than a year, BJJ no gi/gi white belt and a bit of collegiate wrestling.

EDIT:
The X-factor for Jones.

Jones has been focusing a lot on his JJ this past year. No, I don't expect to see ADCC Jones, but we could be in store to see him make better use of his ground game. I don't expect to see him pull off an armbar or anything, but in the past he has been able to land his vicious elbows on opponents such as TRT vitor from the top position.

Last edited:
Jones is going to get starched.

I think if there is anything that will gives Jones the edge, it will be his youth.
Cormier is older than in his first bout, and Jones might still physically be in his prime.
So Jones could play the range game again.

In the first match, Cormier was in possibly the best shape of his life.
I think Cormier could still be OSP Jones.
But if Jones is in much better shape that the OSP fight, Cormier is in trouble.

If Cormier does win, I'd love to see him submit Jones.
I wouldn't be satisfied with a slow-grind decision.

Last edited:
I think if there is anything that will gives Jones the edge, it will be his youth.
Cormier is older than in his first bout, and Jones might still physically be in his prime.
So Jones could play the range game again.

In the first match, Cormier was in possibly the best shape of his life.
Four years later, I think Cormier could still be OSP Jones.
But if Jones is in much better shape that the OSP fight, Cormier is in trouble.

If Cormier does win, I'd love to see him submit Jones.
I wouldn't be surprised with a slow-grind decision.
I think we could confirm in the first fight that Cormier was already gassing out in the 4th round. Against Silva he also gassed out after laying on top of him. It would be a different story if he was still in his mid thirties.

Meh

Bones has fought virtually ONCE in the past 2 years.

He's got USADA breathing down his neck now with his shady history, and his eye-pokes are now ilegal.

This is a pick-em fight.

Jones is going to get starched.
Lol no. As much as I hate Jones, DC is to old, shop worn and simply not good enough to take out Jones.

Jones via bigger, blacker, better.

Look at the height of knee as he launches himself @Shogun it don't look good for Daniel if tall Jon fires off a rocket knee. I know the church boyz will be here soon saying he can't jump that high now post USADA.

$
DC better pray to God he don't get backed against the cage and get a Jon knee like this...

sGpFwmv.gif

Can't wait for this fight. I mostly agree with you, I do think Cormier has the better boxing but Jones has an insane reach advantage and no matter how, DC will have to eat punches to close the distance.
If Jones wins comfortably, he is the GOAT, no question about it, no matter his failed drug test.

Off the juice, it might be a different person in there....not to mention ring rust, if he does beat Cormier convincingly, then he has to be considered the GOAT of the LW division, but it should have an * by it due to the damn juicing!!!!

I think we could confirm in the first fight that Cormier was already gassing out in the 4th round. Against Silva he also gassed out after laying on top of him. It would be a different story if he was still in his mid thirties.

Yea but DC was game in the Gus fight.

Meh

Bones has fought virtually ONCE in the past 2 years.

He's got USADA breathing down his neck now with his shady history, and his eye-pokes are now ilegal.

This is a pick-em fight.

The eye poke rule did not change anything with Gus in his last fight...

He extended his fingers and got warned but no points taken away.
He poked and got warned but no points take away
Not sure what you think Is going to happen in a big title fight? But I don't see him losing any major points from it..

That tyson gif, where he ducks under the hook is not remotely impressive, the dude that throws the hook at close range literally used 0 defense and threw wide open hook hands near his hips after, god awful boxing. Lol and people think every boxer is god of hands.

The million dollar question is: will Jones get popped for PED masking agents again....or will he time the cycle right this time.

I just hope USADA Jones is 90% of dick-pill Jones. Would love to see him punch Cormier in that fat head!!!

Jones rolls D.C. Cause he's younger faster stronger more athletic lengthier great td defense razor sharp elbows better kicks better at controlling distance. Only chance D.C. Has is if he gets early takedowns

Going to add that this is the first fight I'm ever betting on, will edit this post with the bet slip once the fight comes to fruition.

Jones had to juice to beat DC and still barely beat him. No way a clean Jones beats him. Cormier is just the better fighter

Back