Why Jon Jones shouldn't sign a new contract....yet

Jones' bread and butter is from his sponsorships now. The UFC is Primetime and they market the hell out of em. Not sure how Nike is gonna feel if he bolts to Bellator for 65000 PPV buys instead of the 500k plus he gets with UFC. The open market has no one that can bid up UFC. Just Jones' PPV take alone is prob higher than what Bellator can pay him.

When you have the best fighters, you get the ppv buys. I believe fans pay for the fighters they want to watch. They don't just say "hey, let's pay $55 for a ppv," no matter who is fighting.

When you have the best fighters, you get the ppv buys. I believe fans pay for the fighters they want to watch. They don't just say "hey, let's pay $55 for a ppv," no matter who is fighting.

Yeah but they'll only have the one fighter. Fight fans pay to watch top guys fight top guys. Jones is not enough to make everyone start buying Bellator PPV's. The UFC is too branded. I know tons of people that pay to watch and then ask me who's fighting. The UFC is too established. No one will switch to Bellator just for Jones.

Jones needs the ufc more than the ufc needs Jones. He'd languish in bellator for a few years and then be completely forgotten while the neckbeards and casuals will laud whatever new ufc champ they're told to like

Yeah but they'll only have the one fighter. Fight fans pay to watch top guys fight top guys. Jones is not enough to make everyone start buying Bellator PPV's. The UFC is too branded. I know tons of people that pay to watch and then ask me who's fighting. The UFC is too established. No one will switch to Bellator just for Jones.

No top fighters really want to slug it out for second best. If the best fighter in a division goes to another promotion, a lot will follow to try to beat him and be known as the true best.

Pride, affliction and strike force had hw divisions that were arguably better than the ufc because the hws wanted to fight the best.

They would be getting the number 1 fighter in what is historically the most popular division in the sport. It would give legitimacy to their entire promotion and attract the best lhws.

The investment they would be willing to make to legitimize their promotion would be substantial. It wouldn't necessarily be about seeing who would outbid the ufc, but it would be about upping his potential offer from the ufc itself.

Bellator might bid huge and put itself in a win win scenario. Either they get the best fighter in the world or the ufc must now pay out the ass for him.

There's also the chance that nobody bids on him, knowing full well that he's not going to leave the UFC, and that could actually devalue him in terms of negotiating with the UFC. Not unlike the position in which Askren found himself when the UFC didn't offer him a contract.

I don't think any other promotions can even really make a dent on his previous contract, there are no other organizations big enough to match him

Jones needs the ufc more than the ufc needs Jones. He'd languish in bellator for a few years and then be completely forgotten while the neckbeards and casuals will laud whatever new ufc champ they're told to like

images

No top fighters really want to slug it out for second best. If the best fighter in a division goes to another promotion, a lot will follow to try to beat him and be known as the true best.

Pride, affliction and strike force had hw divisions that were arguably better than the ufc because the hws wanted to fight the best.

You're asking him to take a major risk in hopes that things like that will happen. Pride, Afflication and Strike Force built those divisions in different times. The UFC is the whole game right now. If Jones leaves, which he won't, the UFC will just re-write history and say that he ran from the Gus rematch and a potential fight with DC.

Jones' bread and butter is from his sponsorships now. The UFC is Primetime and they market the hell out of em. Not sure how Nike is gonna feel if he bolts to Bellator for 65000 PPV buys instead of the 500k plus he gets with UFC. The open market has no one that can bid up UFC. Just Jones' PPV take alone is prob higher than what Bellator can pay him.

Nike sponsorship is banned from the UFC, has been for while.

Also, Jones wants to be an actor. Viacom own TV stations and movie companies.

I don't think any other promotions can even really make a dent on his previous contract, there are no other organizations big enough to match him

If Viacom thought they could really break into the market and take a huge share, they would invest. This would be a realistic opportunity at just that.

I don't think Nike and Gatorade would be cool with him going to Bellator or anywhere else. They pay him cause he's in the UFC.

This isn't the NFL.

UFC has the best fighters and the most money to be made. Exactly where Jones belongs.

No, it IS the NFL. The best league in the world with all the money to spend. He ain't going anywhere.

They past up Fedor because of M1 unreasonable demands,at a time when Fedor was regarded by many fans and fighters alike to be the best p4p fighter and had that mystical aura of invincibility around him.I'm sure they'd let Jon go if he demands anything they're not willing to sacrifice,and the ufc marketing machine turns into overdrive to create the next super star champion in Alex or Cormier.

There's also the chance that nobody bids on him, knowing full well that he's not going to leave the UFC, and that could actually devalue him in terms of negotiating with the UFC. Not unlike the position in which Askren found himself when the UFC didn't offer him a contract.

Askren wasn't the p4p best in the world nor top 5 in his division. His fights were relatively unexciting and he wasn't strongly marketed.

Jones is the opposite in all of these areas. If Melendez is drawing competing bids, so is Jones.

The matching clause could only help him. Companies would know they have to make a serious bid to acquire his talent. When promotions are competing for the same fighter, his value will only go up.

If going to the free market hurt Jones value, I would suspect collusion and some backroom deals going on.

They past up Fedor because of M1 unreasonable demands,at a time when Fedor was regarded by many fans and fighters alike to be the best p4p fighter and had that mystical aura of invincibility around him.I'm sure they'd let Jon go if he demands anything they're not willing to sacrifice,and the ufc marketing machine turns into overdrive to create the next super star champion in Alex or Cormier.

Completely different scenario. The 1 thing the ufc doesn't negotiate is copromotion and shared video rights.

They supposedly offered Fedor a guaranteed 6 million a fight and this was at a time when the ufc was making less money.

I'm sure Jones is paid a butt load anyway, don't see the point.

He's at the point where money matters less than testing himself against the best.

Back