Why it’s okay to tap

The "tapping makes you a pussy" crew on Sherdog are one of the biggest cancers on here

my question is: is it okay to nap?

as an adult?

because I’ve been getting mixed signals on that for years

Shogun tapped to strikes. If that doesn’t tell you it’s ok to tap then I don’t know what to tell you. If idiot fans want to judge fuck them.
Would Dan Henderson tap to strikes? Bisping? Lauzon? Sanchez? Al? Elkins? DC? Weidman? Tony? Nick? Nate? Frankie? TJ? Robbie? Condit? Dom? Faber? Aldo? Max? PVZ? Don Frye? No, they would never tap to strikes, it would go against their nature and every instinct in their body. As Chuck said, some guys are fighters some guys are flyers; I'm a fighter. Lol at Shogun being a measuring stick for toughness and ego among cage fighters.

Would Dan Henderson tap to strikes? Bisping? Lauzon? Sanchez? Al? Elkins? DC? Weidman? Tony? Nick? Nate? Frankie? TJ? Robbie? Condit? Dom? Uriah? Aldo? Max? PVZ? Don Frye? No, they would never tap to strikes, it would go against their nature and every instinct in their body. As Chuck said, some guys are fighters some guys are flyers; I'm a fighter. Lol at Shogun being a measuring stick for toughness and ego among cage fighters.
Shogun isn’t tough like those guys in your eyes? It was only in the jones fight that you ever saw that in shogun. It means as tough as you are the body has limits. Lol at you mentioning all those guys as if they are all tougher than shogun. Based on fuckin what?

That makes no sense. Patches in his cardio means he quit? Getting caught and tapping doesn’t make you a quitter. It happening 8 years ago matters because he was greener on the mat. People get caught they tap. He wasn’t getting out against Duffy. Or Diaz. Or khabib. And Diaz and khabib are studs on the ground.
You know the phrase "go down swinging?" Well, he didn't. He got knocked around the ring a bit completely gassed took about 3 unanswered blows and knew if he didn't swing the ref stops the fight. Swinging at Floyd would have prolonged his beating. It would have changed the ref's mentality. It was obvious. He quit. He didn't want to get stiffened by firing back.

The "tapping makes you a pussy" crew on Sherdog are one of the biggest cancers on here

They've also never stepped foot in a ring or cage in their lives. If you know you're completely finished and are eating fight ending strikes there is nothing wrong with tapping. Someone taps to an armbar so they don't break their arm and that's fine, but tapping from elbows to the temple over and over so you don't break your fucking BRAIN is somehow "pathetic"... Keyboard warriors baffle me.

When you're getting choked out and losing blood to the brain, I don't know if everyone is mentally capable of actively choosing to let themselves faint.
I bet most of us would just tap out as a subconscious reflex.

You tap out in training all the time, so it might just be muscle memory in some cases.

Last edited:
It's obviously more admirable to go out cold or get your arm snapped like Big Nog in the cage
I prefer to see a fighter come back and get a new fight as soon as possible, rather than to allow themselves to get injured and have to stop fighting for a long period.

I mean, if a warrior is losing a battle they don't always have to to stand their ground and get slaughtered, they could retreat if that would allow them to come back and win the next battle.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with tapping, the reason people rip on Conor for tapping is all the shit he talked, then in both cases he basically handed his opponent the submission so he could quit

When you know the fight is lost its smarter to tap than to choose to go unconscious or take extra unnecessary damage. I don't really see anything admirable about choosing to go to sleep rather than just admit you are done.

Not to strikes @AnotherOldGuy

Tapping to strikes is the worst thing a pro fighter can do. Tapping to grappling holds is completely normal.

The like is for old times sake - how many times have we debated this? Its almost a ritual at this point. In fact we could probably do a good job reversing this - you giving my normal argument, me giving yours; I suspect we could both do the opposite side justice at this point.

Anyway, here's my standard response:

In order of long term medical danger, the least dangerous (and by a very long shot) is not tapping to chokes - there's simply almost no long term or short time consequences in a sporting environment, where the ref will stop and revive you immediately. Next is not tapping to locks (except for spinal locks), which has short term (ie a few months) consequences but small long term consequences. And the most dangerous thing not to tap to is strikes, which generally leads to CTE which will follow you the rest of your life. This is why several countries medical associations want boxing and MMA banned, but no medical association wants BJJ or judo banned - chokes and locks simply aren't that dangerous.

Therefore medically it makes most sense to tap to strikes, then to tap to locks, and its pretty much 50-50 on whether or not to tap to chokes. In old time judo you were looked down upon for tapping to both locks and chokes in competition (in practice any tapping was okay, it was just practice), because neither had long term consequences. Sometime in the 40's it became okay to tap to locks but not to chokes. Then in the 60's it became somewhat okay to tap to chokes in minor competitions (but not in high level competition). Now its okay to tap to chokes and locks at all levels of judo competition.

So if you're talking about warrior spirit, the least warrior spirit is tapping to chokes (tapping to something without consequences), the next worst is tapping to locks (saving yourself from being sidelined several months), but the most understandable for a warrior is tapping to strikes (saving yourself from a lifetime of headaches, depression, slurred speech etc).

Though the reality is, if you're done you're done, and unless someone's life is on the line (ie a non-sporting environment) you might as well tap and beat the guy next time.

Next time let's do the other guy's argument ...

Last edited:
The like is for old times sake - how many times have we debated this? Its almost a ritual at this point. In fact we could probably do a good job reversing this - you giving my normal argument, me giving yours; I suspect we could both do the opposite side justice at this point.

Anyway, here's my standard response:

In order of long term medical danger, the least dangerous (and by a very long shot) is not tapping to chokes - there's simply almost no long term or short time consequences in a sporting environment, where the ref will stop and revive you immediately. Next is not tapping to locks (except for spinal locks), which has short term (ie a few months) consequences but small long term consequences. And the most dangerous thing not to tap to is strikes, which generally leads to CTE which will follow you the rest of your life. This is why several countries medical associations want boxing and MMA banned, but no medical association wants BJJ or judo banned - chokes and locks simply aren't that dangerous.

Therefore medically it makes most sense to tap to strikes, then to tap to locks, and its pretty much 50-50 on whether or not to tap to chokes. In old time judo you were looked down upon for tapping to both locks and chokes in competition (in practice any tapping was okay, it was just practice), because neither had long term consequences. Sometime in the 40's it became okay to tap to locks but not to chokes. Then in the 60's it became somewhat okay to tap to chokes in minor competitions (but not in high level competition). Now its okay to tap to chokes and locks at all levels of judo competition.

So if you're talking about warrior spirit, the least warrior spirit is tapping to chokes (tapping to something without consequences), the next worst is tapping to locks (saving yourself from being sidelined several months), but the most understandable for a warrior is tapping to strikes (saving yourself from a lifetime of headaches, depression, slurred speech etc).

Though the reality is, if you're done you're done, and unless someone's life is on the line (ie a non-sporting environment) you might as well tap and beat the guy next time.

Next time let's do the other guy's argument ...

Haha, I'm happy to see you around. I will read it when I have time.

Back