Elections Why isn't there an age maximum for president?

SmoothPies

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
It makes complete sense to me that you shouldn't be able to run for president until you're 35. You don't have enough life experience yet to be able to have a well rounded perspective.

But... why doesn't it work the other way? Wouldn't it make sense to have the age maximum to run for president be 70? And that's being generous.

This isn't a direct post about Biden, it's about many candidates we've had (i.e. Trump and Bernie too).

If a plane crashed on an island with 100 people, and you had to pick a leader.. would anyone even consider a 75 year old?

End of rant

Americans are the oldest they've ever been and the median age of the population is just going to keep increasing over the next 70 years.

When you understand the entire population is aging it makes sense why we are electing older presidents.

If a plane crashed on an island with 100 people, and you had to pick a leader.. would anyone even consider a 75 year old?
I mean...why not? Obviously the guy wouldn't be doing all the heavy lifting at 75, but maybe he has really good organizational skills etc.

People age differently. Some people noticeably decline pretty early and others are pushing 100 or even over 100 and still sharp as a tack. It should be taken on a case by case basis; i.e. vote. I wouldn't agree with some age limit.

I'm not saying I agree with or admire the man, but Mitch McConnel is 80 and he's still good at what he does. Unfortunately what he does is act like a cunt, but he's clearly still pretty skilled at it imo.

Everybody ages differently, so it would be difficult to settle on what that age should be. Some have lost most of their marbles by 65, and others are sharp as a tack at 90.

Or, why do we vote for people that should have retired by now?

Why does there have to be a rule? Voters could just not vote for anybody who's old, but I think we all kind of know that leaving anything up to voters is a little too risky.

For all the screeching about "our sacred democracy", nobody actually thinks the administrative state is trusting the public to make informed decisions and select their own leaders.

FFS, democrats have won elections with a dead guy, a guy with severe brain damage, a guy on video smoking crack with hookers, a guy who won an election from a mental institution, and the most votes in history to a guy with brutal dementia.

I think it should be “shall not be more than or equal to 65 at the time of their swearing into the office of President of the United States.”

Truthfully it should be that way or congress as well.

Maybe we say anything from 70-200 years old is a no go, but over 200 is OK

Yeah, I agree. 140 could be a fluke, like a straight up Weekend at Biden's type thing with full blow brain rot and a heart quivering at 190 beats a minute or something. You get to 200 though, that's science. Dracula level shit. A brain in a jar.

MV5BNzU0OGU4ZWYtOGJlMy00MGU4LTk4N2MtMjI3N2EzYmE3YzcwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

The average life expectancy when the constitution was adopted was about 35–the age needed to run for President. Even if this is a skewed statistic because of high infant mortality, I still don’t think the founding fathers thought we would have half a dozen candidate in their 70’s and 80’s credibly running for the job.

70 should be a hard limit. i was tempted to say 65 but nowadays with a bit of care you can be quite sharp longer. i'm more concerned about the work load. a president is always supposed to meet people, to travel outside the country, and inside. it's easier to handle in your 50s than in your 70s, even though the mental acuity might still be there.
so you should be no older than 70 when you get in office.

Seems like practically everyone is agreeing with the proposal.

The problem is, getting lawmakers (Congress/Senate/President) to agree with anything that limits their own career aspirations.

So there's as much of a chance of it happening as getting term limits passed into law, although they don't have a non-selfish argument as to why they shouldn't be in government positions until they die.

If we are dumb enough to keep voting in these old scumbags, thats on us.
If we're given a limited amount of choices.

It's berserk that people are even mentioning Trump and Biden in 2 years. Thankfully neither will be up there.

age is just a number. there are some very lucid and wise old folks out there, why exclude them?

Americans are the oldest they've ever been and the median age of the population is just going to keep increasing over the next 70 years.

When you understand the entire population is aging it makes sense why we are electing older presidents.

No it doesn't. Older people should understand the effects of dementia and just the general toll of aging.

Back