Why isn't Mousasi talked about in the GOAT discussion?

MMAProfessional

Golden Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
44-6 with an insane amount of high caliber wins. People with only 6 loses usually have around 20 or so wins with no notable wins like Moose has.

44-6 with an insane amount of high caliber wins. People with only 6 loses usually have around 20 or so wins with no notable wins like Moose has.

I am a mousasi fan, but I think because he has a weak wrestling, and he lost big fights like against machida, jacare, King Mo and so on.

I think he's a special fighter, very good fighter, but not a goat, as he has never been a champion in major org, I don't count strikeforce as a major either, especially lhw division.

It's because everyone knows Elvis Sinosic is the GOAT.

inconsistency. He oscillates between GOAT and CAN often. His dominant wins are very impressive.

Thats the guy who got beat up by smashed by jacare righ?

Most people remember him getting out-classed by Machida and never winning when it mattered.

I like Moose, but he tends to lose to the high level/elite fighters he faces

King Mo
Machida
Jacare

He beats opponents he should beat, but he doesn’t beat the top tier. He has a very impressive record and is underrated, but he isn’t in the GOAT discussion.

Because that would be ridiculous and demean the term GOAT even more

because his losses to Machida & Jacare put that discussion on life support, and his leaving UFC pulled the plug.

and i've been a huge fan since the early '06 or so days. i acknowledge that his bandwagon fan base got overzealous (which predictably created an overzealous backlash). many crowned him a goat candidate too soon, instead of waiting for the evidence to mount. and the evidence simply never built.

IMO he's one of the best. others disagree. there will never be real consensus, because he didn't fight and beat even a small subset of the best fighters of his era.

which is great for some, because now we get to play the "ya but what if ... " debate forever. for example, "what if he did fight Whittaker? styles make fights you know!!1!" and shit like that. we now have a forum junkie fixed, and it's called "ya, but Mousasi could have been GOAT if...."

Last edited:
If he stayed in the UFC and somehow got the belt he'd have a much better case

Hes a guy thats ben held back and fucked over hed have to go far beyond and over to get a title shot in ufc. Not to mention ufc cant promote for shit his loss to machida and hall and king mo set him back even though hes dominatef higher rank openants since weidman ect. Doesnt matter gegard is the underground goat mw imo just shows ufc is trash when they let one of the best fighters in the division leave so easily... Same with rory who was popular with fans now every champ in ufc is gonna be a wrestle stall hump fest there ratings will keep falling the whole companys goal is to keep mcgregor relevant.

Because he's very, very good... but has been nowhere near consistent or dominant enough to be in GOAT talks.

Do you really think his career stacks up against Anderson, GSP, Jones, Fedor, Aldo and MM? Because I don't.

To be clear, I don't think he's a mile off. He's a tier below the GOAT discussion, IMO.

I'm not much into the GOAT arguments but TS should be making a better case..

List some quality wins or argue the UFC held him back or something..in a court of law your case would be thrown out for lack of evidence..

Because he came to the UFC and lost to every high level fighter he faced except Weidman. And even that fight may have gone differently if Weidman wasn't playing the system.

Back