Movies Why isn't Judge Dredd popular amongst Superhero films?

Because he is grimdark as how heros should be

Glory to the emperor

Dredd was created by British John Wagner way back in fucking 1977. It has a longevity but has never been super mainstream.

The Stallone movie was just flat out awful save for a few decent scenes.

And so when it came time for the 2012 reboot they could only go on a 30-45 million dollar budget, only get one real mainstream actor, and there was no hype at all with the movie when it came out in September 2012 and it bombed. Just 41 Mill globally and 13.5 domestic. Which was a shame because I thought it was a very fun movie written and led by Alex Garland. Opening action scene was great. They used the R rating to full effect very mean action. Which I liked although a few moments were a bit much. But it was very impressive futuristic action for such a low budget movie.
They chose to have a contained story revolving around one building very Die Hard esque, which was a shame I wish it was more about mega city 1. Also it's a rare movie where I wished it was much longer (only 96 min) and had a bigger ending to it.

For the rest of his life Karl Urban will be asked when is the sequel but as previously mentioned on this thread the owner of the rights are cucks and studios dont want a sequel of a box office bomb

Other than Karl, Josh Brolin would be a great Judge Dredd he has the Jaw and Voice that Karl didn't have.

Cause Dredd's a British thing. The British are, even without trying to be insulting, a cucked society that's forged to love rules, bureaucracy and worships shit like NHS as a secular religion. Dredd might work there. But nobody sane, infatuated by freedom and self respect wants to be that asshole or live in his world.

Meanwhile everyone wants to be Batman, Punisher, Spider-Man, etc.

Also, the 2012 movie sucked.

That said, the character and that whole world's been around for so long - many fun stories and tremendous artists have spawned from it all. So I think a great Judge Dredd flick could be made, even with all the necessary characteristics in tact.

Actually the reverse, the original British Bredd comics the character isnt treated entirely seriously, he's a satire of authoritarian fantasies, the US films on the other hand treat him and what he stands for much more seriously.

I mean look at the design of the character, he's a cartoon facist

Actually the reverse, the original British Bredd comics the character isnt treated entirely seriously, he's a satire of authoritarian fantasies, the US films on the other hand treat him and what he stands for much more seriously.

I mean look at the design of the character, he's a cartoon facist
Ok but then how do you explain Hollywood turning him into a cartoon with Sly and when the AD British folk took over with the reboot, it turned all serious Nolan-wannabe? Urban even saying he doesn't give a fuck what Sly thinks, like he's a joke and they're so sold on their own shit?

Ok but then how do you explain Hollywood turning him into a cartoon with Sly and when the AD British folk took over with the reboot, it turned all serious Nolan-wannabe? Urban even saying he doesn't give a fuck what Sly thinks, like he's a joke and they're so sold on their own shit?

The Sly version was lighter in tone perhaps but I think it treated the idea of Dredd and the judging system in a straighter fashion, very little satire. The story itself does show some fallibility of that system but doesnt seem to disagree that its a legitimate system.

Generally I think the popularity of Dredd in the US tends to ignore the satire alot more and plays into a much stronger police authoritarian streak in the culture.

I ask myself the same question about Swamp Thing.

The Sly version was lighter in tone perhaps but I think it treated the idea of Dredd and the judging system in a straighter fashion, very little satire. The story itself does show some fallibility of that system but doesnt seem to disagree that its a legitimate system.

Generally I think the popularity of Dredd in the US tends to ignore the satire alot more and plays into a much stronger police authoritarian streak in the culture.
In terms of the satire aspect, how did you feel about RoboCop? Which started as a Dredd rip off. Was that closer?

Dredd was created by British John Wagner way back in fucking 1977. It has a longevity but has never been super mainstream.

The Stallone movie was just flat out awful save for a few decent scenes.

And so when it came time for the 2012 reboot they could only go on a 30-45 million dollar budget, only get one real mainstream actor, and there was no hype at all with the movie when it came out in September 2012 and it bombed. Just 41 Mill globally and 13.5 domestic. Which was a shame because I thought it was a very fun movie written and led by Alex Garland. Opening action scene was great. They used the R rating to full effect very mean action. Which I liked although a few moments were a bit much. But it was very impressive futuristic action for such a low budget movie.
They chose to have a contained story revolving around one building very Die Hard esque, which was a shame I wish it was more about mega city 1. Also it's a rare movie where I wished it was much longer (only 96 min) and had a bigger ending to it.

For the rest of his life Karl Urban will be asked when is the sequel but as previously mentioned on this thread the owner of the rights are cucks and studios dont want a sequel of a box office bomb

Other than Karl, Josh Brolin would be a great Judge Dredd he has the Jaw and Voice that Karl didn't have.

I liked dredd a lot. I thought they were trying to make urban look like Stallone.

Well the question is why haven’t their been anymore Dredd films since Dredd 3D? And that’s an easy answer.

There haven’t been anymore Dredd films since Dredd 3D because despite the fact that the film was very good, fanboys decided to stream it for free rather than support it in theaters. So it “bombed.” It lost money. Therefore there’s no more Dredd movies for the foreseeable future.

The moral of the story is: support the movies you want to see by paying to see them in theaters or VOD. Otherwise you have no right to complain and totally deserve your fate: having to watch Disney live-action remake after Disney live-action remake for eternity.

Well the question is why haven’t their been anymore Dredd films since Dredd 3D? And that’s an easy answer.

There haven’t been anymore Dredd films since Dredd 3D because despite the fact that the film was very good, fanboys decided to stream it for free rather than support it in theaters. So it “bombed.” It lost money. Therefore there’s no more Dredd movies for the foreseeable future.

The moral of the story is: support the movies you want to see by paying to see them in theaters or VOD. Otherwise you have no right to complain and totally deserve your fate: having to watch Disney live-action remake after Disney live-action remake for eternity.
A bit of a simplistic explanation. Every Lionsgate flick - especially around that time - had shit promotion. Even the trailer dropped late June 2012 when the movie was out in September. Few folks knew it even existed. And like Chael says about fighters: doesn't matter how good and undefeated you are, if people don't know you - you don't exist. Same with anything else. Add to it in 2012 Avengers, Dark Knight Rises (+hype about Man of Steel), Spider-Man reboot, Hobbit, Hunger Games, Tarantino being back, new Bond flick, Prometheus, even The Expendables sequel - a lot of other things were sucking up the attention oxygen.

And the trailer itself.... look at this pitiful shit:

CGI city that looks no better than the Total Recall remake landscapes from the same year, some gay ass song in the background that's demanding me to shut it off, some shit about drugs, close of up some lady that's not pleasant to look at... this is shit. But! Skip right to 0:50, right there. If the they had started the trailer from that point, you would've gotten your sequel.

They were outmatched in terms of marketing budget, but also fucked up with what they had control over. It was a marketing fiasco and not the fault of fans.

it was a dope movie, but didn't do well

Plus it was arguably just a comics version of Raid: Redemption

what's crazy is the original Stallone one is actually made BETTER by having Rob Schneider IMO. that's rare

A bit of a simplistic explanation. Every Lionsgate flick - especially around that time - had shit promotion. Even the trailer dropped late June 2012 when the movie was out in September. Few folks knew it even existed. And like Chael says about fighters: doesn't matter how good and undefeated you are, if people don't know you - you don't exist. Same with anything else. Add to it in 2012 Avengers, Dark Knight Rises (+hype about Man of Steel), Spider-Man reboot, Hobbit, Hunger Games, Tarantino being back, new Bond flick, Prometheus, even The Expendables sequel - a lot of other things were sucking up the attention oxygen.

And the trailer itself.... look at this pitiful shit:

CGI city that looks no better than the Total Recall remake landscapes from the same year, some gay ass song in the background that's demanding me to shut it off, some shit about drugs, close of up some lady that's not pleasant to look at... this is shit. But! Skip right to 0:50, right there. If the they had started the trailer from that point, you would've gotten your sequel.

They were outmatched in terms of marketing budget, but also fucked up with what they had control over. It was a marketing fiasco and not the fault of fans.

The marketing for it was utter dog shit to be sure and pushing it as a 3D only release was a huge mistake as I think a lot of people (myself included) were still not sold on 3D at that time. There was also the sour taste of the original Stallone camp fest lingering over the Dredd character which would have probably been the only knowledge casuals would've had of him. I doubt very much it had anything to do with fanboys streaming it rather than paying to go see it in theatres as the other fella said. I consider myself a pretty big Dredd fan having read the comics for a number of years as a teenager and I went to see it twice in the cinema and bought the bluray so I did my bit. :cool:

I saw the 1 with Stallone but not the other. I think I might have to watch it now.

So there is a TV series called Dredd: Megacity One that's in development but was halted by the pandemic:

"Jason Kingsley, who heads the company which produces the 2000AD comics starring Judge Dredd, told the apocalyptic YouTube chat show V2A Emergency Broadcast System that a script has been written for TV series set in Mega-City One, the post-nuclear state in which Judge Dredd lives, but the project is on hold due to the coronavirus pandemic."

"I want there to be a sequel [to 2012 movie Dredd]. We've got the rights back so we can do it, we've just got to get rid of this virus thing that's going on at the moment, and then hopefully things can kick off in all sorts of different areas of making film and TV, it's just– it's all very messed up at the moment for everybody," he said.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/scifi/2020-07-28/judge-dredd-tv-show-script-written/

This is fucking great news because that first film is absolutely fire. Just watched it again and it holds up 100%. Sounds like Jason is planning a series and a film at least. That's pretty damn exciting. He said he wanted the Dredd actor and Sly to make appearances.

Back