Movies Why isn't Judge Dredd popular amongst Superhero films?

In 2012 I bought a 3D tv that died in May of this year. I only had about 6 or so 3D blu rays for it, but I’m definitely going to miss being able to watch Dredd 2012 in 3D ever again. The slow mo scenes were really something else in 3D. :(

First movie I ever watched in 3D. Loved every minute of it:cool:

Because he's not known compared to them. And the 2012 movie was ok but not more than a 6.5-7/10.

The Punisher is a vigilante

Dredd is a Judge, you didn't read 2000AD did you?

Yes I did, the guy was asking about the movies. And you are being pedantic.

"Taking the law into his own hands" suggests he's stepping outside the legal system. He IS the legal system and follows the rules to a T

He is taking the law, literally into his own hands, because he is the law. Like I asked @William Huggins , using one sentence, how would you describe the movies to someone who had never heard of any 2000AD material.

I think there is an obvious difference compared to Dirty Harry though, thats an authoritarian fantasy were as Dredd is at least partly a satire, well at least the comics were/are.

Too realistic. We have superhero movies lodging in the best movies of all time lists these days. What an absolute joke.

Yes I did, the guy was asking about the movies. And you are being pedantic.

He is taking the law, literally into his own hands, because he is the law. Like I asked @William Huggins , using one sentence, how would you describe the movies to someone who had never heard of any 2000AD material.

"Wagner suggested the new title needed a cop story, and his proposal, "Judge Dredd", took the Dirty Harry archetype further, imagining a violent lawman, empowered to dispense justice on the spot"

<45>the Punisher lol

"Wagner suggested the new title needed a cop story, and his proposal, "Judge Dredd", took the Dirty Harry archetype further, imagining a violent lawman, empowered to dispense justice on the spot"

<45>the Punisher lol

So because I haven't read that quote, Dredd has absolutely zero similarities to the Punisher? <45>

How come we get 10'000 Batman films and 10'000 Spider-Man films every decade, but only 1 Judge Dredd film every millennium?

Dredd 2012 was an absolute masterpiece!
It's a shame we haven't seen a sequel yet.
Today’s society has a problem with absolute authority?

I think because the snowflakes would think Dredd is right wing, kills people and it would severely rustle their jimmies. They don't like cops or anything that has to do with authority either.

Cause Dredd's a British thing. The British are, even without trying to be insulting, a cucked society that's forged to love rules, bureaucracy and worships shit like NHS as a secular religion. Dredd might work there. But nobody sane, infatuated by freedom and self respect wants to be that asshole or live in his world.

Meanwhile everyone wants to be Batman, Punisher, Spider-Man, etc.

Also, the 2012 movie sucked.

That said, the character and that whole world's been around for so long - many fun stories and tremendous artists have spawned from it all. So I think a great Judge Dredd flick could be made, even with all the necessary characteristics in tact.

You compared a niche character most have never heard of, to two of the most iconic characters in the industry. That's why.

Would have loved to see a sequel to 2012 dredd though.

I loved the one with Stallone as a kid, have not seen it since.

The newer one is amazing, marvelous movie!

The Stallone one is unbearable to watch. A lot is actually awesome but Rob Schneider’s character ruins everything.

2012 version is awesome. Similar to The Raid but still its own movie.

As for why he is not liked so much, perhaps it’s because he is awesome but not relatable in even the slightest way?

I wonder if a lot of people not familiar with Dredd think he is a Robocop ripoff so they didn't really give it a chance or older people who watched the Stallone ones tarnished it so bad that they didn't give the new one a shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back