Why isn't JDS talked about when it comes to P4P rankings?

Sticks too heavily to one style and its hard for HW's to ever be put in P4P discussions. Silva, GSP and Jones get mentioned because of how they can dominate in so many different ways and the inventive ways they go about doing it.

How does that work though?

JDS is tearing through everyone at HW. A scaled-down version of JDS with the boxing, TDD, BJJ and natural power would be near the top of any division IMO

HWs tend not to be as skilled as the smaller guys though. They rely more on power. And JDS just doesn't display enough to compare him to smaller fighters that display so much more. All JDS does is punch with the occasional knee. Would that be enough to win against the likes of Aldo, GSP, or Silva if they were the same size? I don't think so, but of course it's all theoretical. There is no way of truly determining it.

Mainly because that P4P rankings shy away from HW's in general.

Because, by definition, p4p rankings are meant to compare lighter fighters to larger ones. You're not gonna get into a p4p discussion as a heavyweight, as theoretically, you should be the best fighter, period.

If JDS can, at this moment, defeat every other fighter lighter than he is, and STILL would beat them if they were scaled up to his size, then yes, he could be in the discussion. But p4p discussion is generally reserved for smaller fighters.

That is not true about it being reserved for smaller fighters. Fedor was in p4p discussion as a heavyweight all throughout his prime years.

JDS pretty much cleaned up his division to become the champion, since he had to get 90340093248 UFC wins to get a TS.

Right now people can think of only 2 real contenders he hasn't beaten yet, Overoids and Cormier

P4P rankings are pretty useless, but by definition it's just basically if everyone was the exact same size, who would win. So the reason why heavyweights don't normally make P4P ranks are because they don't really have as much skill to rely on if they no longer have the size and power advantage of being a heavyweight. It'd be like if you made GSP and JDS the same size and fought, the easiest example I can think of would be like GSP fighting like Ellenberger/Hendricks I guess (power + antiwrestling). If you're like me, you probably think GSP wins that fight, which is why he's ranked higher. For heavyweight, it all depends on the fighter's style for making their P4P rank. Brock and Fedor both made P4P ranks as a big strong grappler is good at any weight, and a fast man with KO power and submissions also translates well across weightclasses. JDS really just has mind numbing power, and he seems to have good defensive wrestling but it's easy to see that style getting into trouble at lighter weight classes especially as his ground game in unknown. Hope that clarifies things

Read my sig.

P4P Rankings are meaningless theoretical nonsense designed to make small men feel more important than physics, and physics- like me- doesn't give a shit.

Exactly.

P4P rankings are there for people who like to get all excited about imagining a little fighter being 9 inches taller and 100 pounds heavier, without losing any speed, flexibility, dexterity, or endurance.

Yeah, guys, that's exactly how it would work if they were bigger.

p4p should be for everyone under hw,
heavyweight champs are just that, the heavyweight champ...

naw p4p is no matter how much you weigh you are still bad ass, that being said JDS is probably in the top 5 now in p4p

This formal definition of P4P people mention is kinda stupid, IMO, for reasons that have been posted already.

I like to think of it as the guys who is more dominant in his division.

I would not be surprised if "small LHW" guys like Rashad Evans think they has more chances of becoming the champion on LHW than fighting AS in MW. The same goes for smaller MWs.

All in all, I could see people who can fit well in two divisions choosing to fight JBJ or GSP than Silva.

And I could see small HW/big LHW thinking they have a better shot fighting JDS than JBJ.

Because p4p is meaningless, and it's proponents pretend that gaining (or losing) 100 pounds would have no effect on their ability to move, etc...

LOL come on dog. If JDS and Brock were to fight today, yesterday or on Brock's best day he would lose. Beat up Couture, unified the belt against Mir and survived the 1st to come back against Carwin. Most overrated title reign ever. According to 95% of Sherdog Mir sucks anyway he's only brought up in his losses never in his wins. JDS beat Mir and Carwin anyway. Brock/JDS would be a more brutal version of Brock/Cain.

Healthy Brock actually would have done better against JDS than most of his other opponents did. If Brock didn't take JDS down, he would have at least pushed him against the cage and held him there for some time, possibly drag him down.

JDS has already shown that standing up with him is not the answer.

He is the UFC HW GOAT. So he has that going for him.

ufc hw goat ?? are you out of your mind? he only has 1 title defence. in 1 week all the nuthugging is going to stop after cain will bigfoot him

He is the baddest man on the planet and thats enough

ufc hw goat ?? are you out of your mind? he only has 1 title defence. in 1 week all the nuthugging is going to stop after cain will bigfoot him

Out of all potential cantidates for UFC HW GOAT, JDS has the best resume. But keep imagining that Cain is going to magically change his skillset and beat Dos Santos. I'm looking forward to you abandoning this account in a week.

That is not true about it being reserved for smaller fighters. Fedor was in p4p discussion as a heavyweight all throughout his prime years.

Right. You need to be so much better than everyone else, that you'd still be considered better even if they were your size.

His resume stacks right up there with the best of them. You'd have to be blind to not see that.

Hasn't been a dominating champion yet, because he hasn't really had the time frame to do it in...yet.

P4P is such a strange, strange concept on forums now, it should be used to compare the 'best of the best' weight categories excluded. (and the best of the best is generally a dominant champion, hence -> p4p - Silva - GSP.

JDS will have his time, heavy weight is the hardest weight class to be dominant Id think, just cause everyone is SO big that...well mistakes cost more at the lack of available durability.

I don't buy this thing about HWs not being respected in the p4p rankings.

JDS gets knocked because he only has one title defense. Its unfair because he had to win his first seven ufc fights before getting a title shot, and almost all of them were against tough guys. Nelson, Carwin, Werdum, Cro Cop. It's very rare for a guy to win that many fights against top flight comp before getting the title shot.

P4P Rankings are basically about who would beat the HW champion if they were as big as him, right? Also, they are dumb.

Back