Why isn't Helwani respected as a serious journalist?

EndlessCritic

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Throwback to some of the greatest sports journalism in modern history, when he got Lyoto Machida's dad to pee in a cup and then drink it during an interview.

He's been involved in some of the funniest segments, made fun of, and has been controversial in his takes and interview style. And he's been called out by a lot of MMA personalities and fighters for it. But I respect Helwani. Listening and watching his stuff for years, this guy has the heart and passion in it.

Wow didn’t know about this video

Most of it comes from Dana hating him, if Dana hates him he can´t be that bad

It's because of his clickbait interview style and how he manipulates people to get information

Most clever people respect Ariel as a serious journalist.

It's just that whenever you get respected by some, you get immediate disrespect, cuz that's how things work.

Imagine if Ariel had been 5'8, we would see countless threads ridiculing him for his (lack of) height.

But he's rather tall, so can't go there.

MUST. RIDICULE. HIM. FOR. OTHER. STUFF.

That's how it is.

Helwanis technical knowledge of the sport is Zero

But the reason he's famous is because he asks spicy questions and fans love that. That's why he's the most popular journo by a mile. The sport has enough stenographers like Brett Okomato, John Morgan etc. It needs more Helwanis who ask the uncomfortable questions.

The fighters dont like him neither does UFC but the casual fans do.

"can't help the kind of shape I'm in, I' can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin"

Its difficult to respect a self serving lunatic whos was only ever good at being an instigator. Of course some of you would reduce this to something as arbitrary as looks or being to "casual" to recognize his journalistic greatness but this is just my opinion after years of listening to the goof.

He's been involved in some of the funniest segments, made fun of, and has been controversial in his takes and interview style. And he's been called out by a lot of MMA personalities and fighters for it. But I respect Helwani. Listening and watching his stuff for years, this guy has the heart and passion in it.

He's close to them ... like Harry Carpenter used to be to big boxers ... but it took a f*ck of a long time for him to get there. I think the informal nature of the interviews make it difficult to see him as a serious journalist and more a well informed semi-insider.

People will benefit greatly from the doors he has opened, and I think to be fair will improve on his work. MMA Journalism is so full of bias and f*ckery that it's got a long way to go before the sector as a whole is respected.

Reactions: Gio
giphy.gif

Most MMA fans are attracted to him and uncomfortable about it.

Most clever people respect Ariel as a serious journalist.

It's just that whenever you get respected by some, you get immediate disrespect, cuz that's how things work.

Imagine if Ariel had been 5'8, we would see countless threads ridiculing him for his (lack of) height.

But he's rather tall, so can't go there.

MUST. RIDICULE. HIM. FOR. OTHER. STUFF.

That's how it is.

And you know this how?
You asked them?

Throwback to some of the greatest sports journalism in modern history, when he got Lyoto Machida's dad to pee in a cup and then drink it during an interview.

that's not special.
some random brazillian chick on a mic exchanged pee cups with lyoto machida and drank it together romantically.

He's an instigator and fence sitter. He tried multiple times to spark drama between fighters and used his UFC contacts to report inside stories (the Lesnar UFC 200 story most famously). He somehow didn't understand that you can't be on good terms with the UFC, basically working for them during his FOX run, and meanwhile using info you get to benefit your "journalist" career and social media following.

He's a raging narcissist, but he has qualities that make him stand out as well. I think his style is good for Youtube and social media, but not for TV so much.

Back