Why isn't Gregor Gillespie being pushed more?

I think it's because with his fight with Yancy for example, people were complaining about the fight saying it was boring yet Gregor was wearing him down and trying to get the finish.

I don't agree with it, I think he should be pushed more but I think this is why they're not prioritising fights for him.

People are idiots. This is the exact same thing Khabib does except Gillespie finishes more of his fights.

Because eventually he will lose for being under-sized. Featherweight needs him more.

Maybe he doesn’t want to be pushed not really interested in fighting as much and has other things to do?

This ^

Dude doesn't seem that interested in being “pushed”.

I dont blame him either, have fun with your life, MMA is such a shit career anyways.

It's not the UFC's job to make someone a star or push them if all they do is talk about fishing, go fishing and blog about fishing. That's all the guy seems to want to do besides train.

Fishing is boring as fuck, by the way.

Gregor will eventually have to start calling out ranked fighters. I suspect that plenty of the Top 10 fighters really don't want any part of Gregor as his wrestling and physical tools make him an extremely dangerous opponent. The ranked fighter could easily lose to an unranked fighter (Gregor) that does nothing for his career (high risk - low reward). Thus the push for the fight needs to come from the UFC which means Gregor needs to give the UFC a strong reason to match him up with a ranked fighter. Gregor should call out a Top 10 fighter with solid wrestling credentials so the opponent will not be intimidated by Gregor's wrestling and top game. If he asks for a striker with a known weakness against top heavy wrestlers, its probably not going to happen. Once Gregor beats a Top 5 or Top 10 fighter, the better match-ups will start happening more often because he will then be a legit title contender.
makhachev would have fought him in a heart beat. hes another guy who cant get top 15 fights.

I think he's going at the right pace. No need to speed him up to a title shot, the division is already stacked. It never really helps a younger fighter to get pushed too fast. Always ends in the balloon getting popped.
hes older than khabib and many fighters in the top 15. hes not one them younger fighters.

hopefully he doesn't get James Vick'd.

because his fighting style

What style is that? Last I checked he has a wrestling base and uses it to grind and smash his opponents.. an awful lot like the current LW champ.

And while Khabib has 6 decision wins in the UFC (and some against mediocre opponents), Gillespie has finished 5 of his 6 wins in the UFC

Because the goof just shoots for takedowns!
<31><{danayeah}><31>

He should fight Al Iaquenta, Charles Oliviera or Kevin Lee.

I imagine each of those is a difficult match to make, for slightly different reasons. Al I probably thinks he 'deserves' someone ranked higher, Oliviera may not want to face that style, and Lee probably wants an easier fight after his last several.

And therein lies the problem.

People are idiots. This is the exact same thing Khabib does except Gillespie finishes more of his fights.

Khabib is polarizing though.

Even as a relative unknown, he was wearing the Sambo tshirts that made jokes about BJJ, the big furry hat (no disrespect, I just don't recall its correct name) and being brash in his call outs.

Add into that is controversial views about women along with a deep entanglement of his religion and sport. Conor is the biggest name in the sport and that was his springboard, on the back of dolly-gate.

Gregor is one of the most important prospects in the division right now and he's quietly a problem for everybody. He needs a breakout win to get his marquee fights lined up.

Got booed in his home state.......after a win. Let that sink in.

It's not the UFC's job to make someone a star or push them if all they do is talk about fishing, go fishing and blog about fishing. That's all the guy seems to want to do besides train.

Fishing is boring as fuck, by the way.
That's what the UFC is sucking at.

The UFC should dedicate themselves fully to promoting their fighters. Their product is their fighters, and they should treat them as such. A company should never trash it's own product.

1. He doesn't promote himself or shown any desire in progressing his career. He fights, then goes home and you hear nothing from him. If people ask him what he wants, he says "to go home and go fishing"

2. Very inactive, which ties goes back to him having no desire to really progress his career

3. Has fought nobody, which partially toes back to him having no desire to progress his career. He should have been campaigning for ranked opponents one or two fights ago.

What style is that? Last I checked he has a wrestling base and uses it to grind and smash his opponents.. an awful lot like the current LW champ.

And while Khabib has 6 decision wins in the UFC (and some against mediocre opponents), Gillespie has finished 5 of his 6 wins in the UFC
Gillespie's offensive wrestling is the best in the UFC. It's on a different level than Khabib's. Khabib excels at riding guys on the ground though, and maybe he's better than Gillespie there. Gillespie is like Sonnen version 2.0 but better.

Back