1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Why isn't grappling more popular?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by BSRufio, Sep 5, 2010.

1. BSRufio

BSRufio White Belt

This question has been floating around my head for the past few days and I can't come up with a good reason. I love grappling. Passionately. It seems like most grapplers are the same way. I guess I don't understand why so many people are indifferent or uninterested. It's fun to do and learn about, it's fun to watch (dare I say beautiful?), and it's an awesome workout. I don't get it.

Any ideas?

2. Broski

Broski White Belt

Because people don't like sports with a big learning curve. For example, you can learn the basics of football in an afternoon, watch a game, and fully understand everything that's going on. Not the case for grappling.

3. CollarTie

CollarTie Blue Belt

I think homophobia has alot to do with it. Alot of people just can't get over the idea of grappling.

4. ohyeah290

ohyeah290 Blue Belt

Essentially sums it up. In high school all I ever heard was "You wrestle? I would never do that. I don't want some other guys balls rubbing on my head."

5. bjornvil

bjornvil Blue Belt

This!

I think alot of people try grappling and can't stand the fact that they get worked and don't have the patience to learn and get better.

6. chino3

chino3 Purple Belt

I think that's total bs. Every boy grows up wrasslin with their friends. It's something you're used to, unless you are insanely insecure about your sexuality to the point you're about to be flipped.

Anyways I think it's a few things:

1) how many people actually get out and train ANY martial art?

2) of those few people, how many can handle actually being tested? By that, I mean you get roll and actually see your skills at work, where as say MT you practically NEVER ever spar to the point you would in a full blown fight. Grappling is humbling, period.

3) people are dumb. It's sad to say but few people these days don't have the attention span or concentration to handle the mind game that grappling is.

I've brought many friends to class to train just for a week, and all of them love mma and support me being a Bjj player, but when it came down to it, they all bailed after 3 classes max. They never talked shit, but instead only acknowledged and appreciated the work it takes to actually perform.

7. Eagle Press

Eagle Press Brown Belt

I think it's a combination of everything mentioned so far.

The idea that it's more difficult to understand the intricacies of grappling than more mainstream sports, homophobia, and how you often have to be humbled before you start to get better:icon_chee

8. adoniscomplex

adoniscomplex Orange Belt

as far as watching
    high level grappling can be vary slow

i was at the boston gq recently and watched the the super fights
    the popviatch match had maybe 3 things happen the whole 10 mins

i enjoy grappling /watching and training but understand why others wouldnt

9. chino3

chino3 Purple Belt

At worlds there were a lot of amazing bb fights, but the most action packed divisions were the brown belts and the purple absolutes. Checkmat and Roger really created an amazing atmosphere. In the past though the upper levels had a majority of slow matches so I agree

10. bora y

bora y Purple Belt

i agree with you all to a point, but i'm catching a vibe of superiority and elitism here.

some people won't like it just because they don't. i can't explain it for them, i don't even think they could if you asked them to. something about it might just be missing.

i didn't like windsurfing. it wasn't that i was shitty at it, it wasn't that there was a lot of terminology, it wasn't that i was worried about looking goofy in my wet suit. something about it just failed to catch my interest. i'd much rather swim or lie on the beach.

i think a big part of it is that people don't have the time or money to spend on grappling. it's not that they don't have 2 hours a night and 100 bucks a month, it's that grappling isn't where they want to spend their energy.

11. tenniswhiz

tenniswhiz Steel Belt

It's gotten pretty popular in the past dozen years.

I remember when most schools were satellites run by blue belts.

Now most major cities have more than one black belt academy, and many cities have several.

There was a time when a purple belt student was a very rare sight at an academy. It's still a major achievement, but you see them in most academies now. I'm talking about the dark ages, before guys like Matt Serra and BJ Penn got their black belts.

12. FXG

FXG Orange Belt

1) dudes think its gay

2) Guys are afraid of MMA

13. Falcyon

Falcyon White Belt

One of the few biggest regrets was not wrestling in high school under the whole lame gay excuse. Too bad because my HS had a really strong wrestling program. I finally picked up judo and wrestling and wished I had done both earlier.

14. wiseguy$$

wiseguy$$ Blue Belt

I offen think about what I'm doing on Monday night Tue and so on !
    People are parting staying out late meeting freinds ! Going to movies or fun things and I'm in a gym sweating hot tired with some guy trying to screw my head off! Or my doing the same ! And then a overwellming Peace takes over me !

And I know that I have the power or what ever you want to call it to break some fools arm or leg or knock them out cold ! This helps me stay cool when other are not ! And that is why I do it ! Call it passion call it want you want but if you have put in your time you know what I mean !
    When I am out I have a confidence , I move like a jungle cat watching taking it all in .

15. Hamsterdam

Hamsterdam Orange Belt

I don't think it's so much to do with homophobia as it is with the intricacies of grappling. If you don't have a good understanding of the mechanics of grappling, it's going to look like two guys flopping around on a mat.

16. keynote

keynote Purple Belt

we smell funny and our ears are gross

17. justkidin

justkidin White Belt

This just about sums it up. But seriously, a lot if kids in high school said they wouldn't because it was gay. Others saw how hard we worked and how much we ran. Football players didn't believe us when we told them one normal wrestling practice was harder than a 2 a day. And then others would come and try it, throw up a coulpe times and never come back. Its a complicated issue whith as many reasons for people to not like it as there are those people. Its like a religious man wondering why everyone doesn't worship his god. To each their own.

18. Tropics1020

Tropics1020 Brown Belt

it's funner to hit people perhaps?

19. Calibur

Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

I rarely see someone try nogi grappling and not enjoy it. The only exceptions usually being the rare guys who are really good at striking already and don't feel comfortable being so out of their element.

Nobody really minds play wrassling a little bit once they get their feet wet, even girls. The question is whether they are going to dedicate their time and money to it and not something else. That's the deal breaker.

Oh, but in terms of watching grappling or using a gi, A LOT of people I have introduced to the game have no interest in it.

20. [Tycho?]

[Tycho?] Brown Belt

What isn't _______ more popular?

Where _____ can be ping pong, arhcery, water polo, high jump, marathon running, ultimate frisbee or rock climbing.

There are lots of sports out there, and only a select few become extremely popular and well known.