1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

why isnt boxing pushing new stars?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by CaliKid45, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaliKid45

CaliKid45 Yellow Belt

i like boxing and love mma. Why arent boxing promotions pushing the young stars like julio ceasar chavez jr and Robert Guerroro

2. MeBig

MeBig Brown Belt

3. mschatz

mschatz Hamma: I has it

They are actually doing too much of it, if you ask me. Thats why we get all these "showcases" with prospects taking on career losers on Friday Night Fights and Fight Club. I know these kind of mismatches are necessary to build a career, but they shouldn't be televised in my opinion.

If you aren't aware of prospects in boxing right now, it is solely because you are not following the sport.

4. Carbone Junior**

Carbone Junior** Banned Banned

[​IMG]

5. Trance

Trance Blue Belt

You must not watch a whole lot of boxing then. Friday night fights, Showtime's the New generation, HBO's under cards, and many more are constantly building up fighters. I can think of 10 or so fighters easily that have been getting built up lately, Several that may end up reaching Pacquiao or Mayweather status in the next few years. Many of these fighters already have a huge following, Like Juanma.

I can ask the same about MMA as well, Who are they building to be the next Liddell? I'm not being a smart ass, I really don't know because they hype everyone to be a God given gift to MMA and someone we'll talk about years from now. I honestly don't see them producing someone like that again for a while, Say what you will but him knocking everyone out drew the crowds.

6. CaliKid45

CaliKid45 Yellow Belt

funny thing is.. no one in the gen public no of any boxers beside floyd, pacman, cotto, mosly. They need to start putting their cards together like mma cards, 2 bouts on a card isnt enough.

7. CaliKid45

CaliKid45 Yellow Belt

ufc has tons and tons of prospects that people know off. lesnar draws more ppv than any human on the planet and i hate that man!. Shit GSP is known Worldwide, voted the most dangerous man on the planet too and im not fond of him either.

8. Fisticuffa

Fisticuffa Purple Belt

Why do ultimate fightin' fans make such dumb posts?

First off, Lesnar is not a "prospect" and is like 33 years old. The reason he is such a star is because of the WWE, it's laughable for the UFC to try to claim credit for making him into a star when in fact he was already a star coming into the sport.

GSP is not known worldwide unless by worldwide you mean Canada and suburban US, he is dwarfed in recognition by someone like Pacquiao worldwide. MMA is not even very popular within Brazil.

None of these guys except Brock could match a prime Liddell in drawing power, and I already explained the reason for why Brock is such a big draw.

9. Steakeater**

Steakeater** Banned Banned

I dont think JCC jr and Guerrero are even that good. Devon Alexander and Berto are going big

10. Nightmare Woody

Nightmare Woody Brown Belt

Lol at Chavez Jr being a star. If that dude's last name was Gonzalez no one would give a shit.

11. Trance

Trance Blue Belt

How many people in the general public know of these MMA star prospects? The star prospects I speak of are guys like Saul Alverez, Juanma Lopez, Gamboa, Danny Jacobs, Rigondeaux, etc. They are already amassing a following and are covered by major sports outlets, They are being built to take the place of the large names you mentioned. Many consider Juanma to be the next Cotto, Just like Cotto was the next Trinidad to Puerto Rico; These guys have drawing power as it is.

Like Fist said, and Like I said above, Liddell was the power draw; He was the UFC's version of a Mayweather or Pacquiao and no one else is coming close to him in terms of drawing that the UFC solely built up.

The cards are kept small for many reasons. One of which is you can readily recognize names; It's easier to get someones name out there when they're sharing a card with 5 other fighters. The second reason is pay, Less fighters on a card means more pay for the fighters gracing it. I'll throw in one more: Frequency of cards. Friday night fights have one every week for more than half the year, Same with many local shows and for a while Showtime and networks like them had a card on a week. You can't have multiple huge cards with every fight being a possible headliner every week, It's not possible and you'll lose face when you put of a joke of a card and have people pay for it.

12. Del the Funk66

Del the Funk66 Purple Belt

LOL!!!! Back to the Heavyweight section with you! More popular than any human on this planet?!?! HAHAHA.

Fista got it right. When prepubescent teens follow Lesnar into MMA from WWE, there's no question why he ended up with a big following. Just remember Lesnar is stacked with like 5 OTHER CARDS. WOW..... :D

13. Del the Funk66

Not to mention Bute, Lemiux(sp?), boytsov (thanks MC), Kahn, Maidana. A lot of good up and comers now a days. I just want Pac May over with so we can start seeing those guys get the spotlight. They deserve it.

14. Trance

Trance Blue Belt

Even with the 10 both of us mentioned, There's even more! But Boxing is dying, Make no mistake!

I'm excited to see all of these guys, They all have star quality and everything there to be the next Superstar.. Now they have to fight it out!

15. TheRainSong

TheRainSong Purple Belt

TS, did you watch Bradley vs. Abregu on Sat? Pretty sure Tim Bradley is an up and comer.

16. Del the Funk66

Right?! We're only scraping the top of the barrel. There's a bunch of newbies in the works.

17. Del the Funk66

Yeah but I personally think he's over-rated.

18. TheRainSong

TheRainSong Purple Belt

The same can be said of alot of current prospects....I like Tim though, I hope he takes his career to the next level.

19. Cracky

Cracky Fanny Pack

Actually, boxing seems to be shifting in the same way the music business has shifted... the focus has moved from substance to bling.. and Floyd is a big part of the reason.. (before you bash me, I know Floyd has substance. Not saying that he doesn't.) He promotes himself based on the bling though.

Floyd has brought in an element of fans that want a backstory. They want drama.. and they value that drama over the appreciation of certain skillsets.. Fernando Vargas also did his part to draw from this pool of fans.

So the people that are getting promoted are the guys that bring extra bling into the ring, and the quality fighters that should be getting promoted based on skill are getting put on the back burner.

20. mschatz

mschatz Hamma: I has it

Some of the guys you are mentioning are not "prospects" any more. Bradley? Bute?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.