Why is Wilders power in the jab so underwhelming?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There isn't anything obviously bad about it but it doesn’t do any damage. Doesn't this prove that his right hand mechanics are outstanding since he doesn't have much natural strength?

He doesn't put any power behind it. It's just a flicking, distance-measuring jab that's meant for him to set up the big right hand.

A lot of big punchers didn't really have great jabs. They may have had great right hands, great left hooks, but their jabs were "serviceable" at best. Some didn't have much of a jab at all. The Sonny Liston, George Foreman types are somewhat exceptional.

A powerhouse jab like that is really unique.

Last edited:
My unscientific opinion is that he generates power in his right from his core/back/legs and when combined with his length it gives his right a much higher than average time for acceleration. When he throws his jabs, it's mostly just coming from his arm/shoulder, and he's cutting acceleration time down dramatically. He could definitely use it differently and generate more power, but I think he has developed a style where he's mostly using it to set up the right.

He doesn't put any power behind it. It's just a flicking, distance-measuring jab that's meant for him to set up the big right hand.

A lot of big punchers didn't really have great jabs. They may have had great right hands, great left hooks, but their jabs were "serviceable" at best. Some didn't have much of a jab at all. The Sonny Liston, George Foreman types are somewhat exceptional.

Miguel Cotto and GGG are modern guys who threw jabs with authority as well. Cotto is actually left handed, but fights orthodox to keep the power in his lead hand.

He broke Duhaupas’s face when he committed into it. Most of the time, he does not.

I can't think of a power puncher with a weak jab. Shannon Briggs had a monster jab, Mike Tyson too.

I can't think of a power puncher with a weak jab. Shannon Briggs had a monster jab, Mike Tyson too.

Well, it's probably harder to think of a guy like that with an outright weak jab. Especially with the physical dimensions that Wilder has, which you'd think would translate to a solid jab.

I mean, physically, he's basically a heavyweight Thomas Hearns. But Hearns had a great jab, while Wilder's is pretty shit.

I don't know what's really going on there.

Julian Jackson was a guy whose jab was nothing to write home about, but the power in his hooks was next-level.

Well, it's probably harder to think of a guy like that with an outright weak jab. Especially with the physical dimensions that Wilder has, which you'd think would translate to a solid jab.

I mean, physically, he's basically a heavyweight Thomas Hearns. But Hearns had a great jab, while Wilder's is pretty shit.

I don't know what's really going on there.

Julian Jackson was a guy whose jab was nothing to write home about, but the power in his hooks was next-level.

It's interesting to note that some guys who don't typically show great power in their jab, but show great power in their other punches, will randomly demonstrate that power with their jab as well. That sort of shows that it's not an inability to throw a power-jab, but more of a conscience decision, or stylistic choice. I've seen Wilder throw strong jabs, and it makes you wonder why it's not a bigger part of what he does.

Manny Pacquiao is another good example. He often threw "flicky" jabs to set up his straight left, and never really developed a reputation for a power jab. But then he'd randomly throw it with some conviction and it was a damn good jab, he just never developed that as a primary part of his style.

Wilder mainly only paws or flicks a jab to set up his power shots (namely his straight) which is just more evidence of his poor game planning. He has a thunderous jab when he commits behind it.

His pawing is devastating against some guys, but its not going to work against Fury.

Well It looked like taps against Fury, even when he commited.

He couldn’t plant his feet as well against a guy who moves well, and he was all about landing big.

He broke Duhaupas’s face when he committed into it. Most of the time, he does not.
Duhaupas facial damage was done with uppercuts and hooks mostly opened up cuts in the 5th round on the ropes , he was able to put shots together without the jab even working the body a lot but that’s because Duhaupas is a plodder with slow counter reaction times .

Wilders face looked worse,he had bruising himself and a closed eye if someone did damage with a jab it was the other guy in that one .

Duhaupas facial damage was done with uppercuts and hooks mostly opened up cuts in the 5th round on the ropes , he was able to put shots together without the jab even working the body a lot but that’s because Duhaupas is a plodder with slow counter reaction times .

Wilders face looked worse,he had bruising himself and a closed eye if someone did damage with a jab it was the other guy in that one .

Duhaupas´s face - especially his nose - was already bruised before round 5 and it was the jabs he had eaten weighted a lot. And yes, he is a plodder, which is basically what I implied and made him an easier target. Not sure how Wilder’s swelling is related to this discussion.

Last edited:
Wilders isn’t heavy handed ,he really has to put a lot of snap and forward progression to land his hardest shots throwing as fast as he can using the length to catch guys off the end of the glove so a hard jab is not seen much against fighters who just don’t stand there but he has a very hard jab if it lands with intent on doing damage .,so it then falls on defense issues if he’s planning on following up with shots .

It’s why he’s a one two puncher with anything rarely resembling combinations to open guys up defenses he is limited to mostly flicker jabs and won’t commit to solid quality ones as that takes better balance moving around and working behind a jab . Wilder uses the jab for measuring guys for a right hand so it looks underwhelming,

Wilder jabbing basically is having Larry Holmes in the ring and then taking away volume punching and movement as well as skills to go down stairs and upstairs ,so it’s Holmes looking clueless basically just a guy with a very fast hard jab unable to really dominate with the jab alone despite its potential.

Duhaupas´s face - especially his nose - was already bruised before round 5 and it was the jabs he had eaten weighted a lot. And yes, he is a plodder, which is basically what I implied and made him an easier target. Not sure how Wilder’s swelling is related to this discussion.
Your talking about one little cut I’m talking about causation of the damage which was not jabs by Wilder it was hooks and uppercuts .

The swelling on Wilder was caused by jabs by the other guy so yea it’s related to the discussion of throwing jabs and what they did .

Okey, if murcian biased forum. Wilder is can crushing former Olympic bronze medalist : a prize fighter. Murcians doesn't like Ruiz, that is from murcia just because he is fat. Wilder is not some kind of A.J = Oly gold medalist and world & european championships gold medalist = former amateur superstar.
Wilder did not improved at all after he get Olympic bronze medal.
I really wish to see this goats for murcians shape after he will have 2 fights with each!!! from these : A.J, Ruiz and Usyk. = will turn him into a paraplegic.
Wilder get gifted draw vs Fury and get deserved lesson in next fight.
Cos he did not improved.
Otherwise he still for HW is young and might improve a lot.
But if compare with Ruiz he is not even a boxer.

Holmes from 1980 th turned this goat into paraplegic. Holmes from 1988 most likely no.

Your talking about one little cut I’m talking about causation of the damage which was not jabs by Wilder it was hooks and uppercuts .

The swelling on Wilder was caused by jabs by the other guy so yea it’s related to the discussion of throwing jabs and what they did .

I’m talking about a guy who looked damaged before round 5 after eating a fair amount of jabs - granted, he also got hit with the left hook and right cross -, and this discussion happens to be about Wilder’s jabbing power.

That being said, it was an entertaining bout.

I’m talking about a guy who looked damaged before round 5 after eating a fair amount of jabs - granted, he also got hit with the left hook and right cross -, and this discussion happens to be about Wilder’s jabbing power.

That being said, it was an entertaining bout.
He didn’t looked damaged he had a little cut on the left bridge of his nose ,he wasn’t looking damaged until the 5th round when Wilder barraged him with those uppercuts and hooks . The discussion was me correcting you nothing more or less because you said the other guy did damage with jabs when it was the other one.

And just so you know the cut which happened in the first round was caused by a push and Wilders tape on the glove where you can see Duhaupas react after the ref breaks them apart as the tape rakes across his face the replay clearly showed during the shove so a jab isn’t even involved there either .

Back