Why is Tyson underrated?

db03892

Brown Belt
Reaction score
All p4p lists are missing iron mike. ESPN has him ranked 50.

Tyson deserves much more credit. Tyson used to be feared in the 80's early 90's. From his extreme speed to devastating ko power. He was a danger for anyone he faced.

All p4p lists are missing iron mike. ESPN has him ranked 50.

Tyson deserves much more credit. Tyson used to be feared in the 80's early 90's. From his extreme speed to devastating ko power. He was a danger for anyone he faced.

Hes considered so overrated that hes now underrated. Pretty much everyone knows of mike tyson, and boxing elistists are quick to put him down because of him not facing top competition during his prime.

i agree that he was so over-rated by casual fans back in his hayday that it is now deemed the norm by boxing elitists to put tyson down.

Tyson in his prime would ko every man who onced walked on the face of earth.
./

Buster Douglas
Evander Holyfield
Lennox Lewis
Danny Williams
Kevin McBride

The fact is the only great boxer he beat was Larry Holmes and he was on the way down. Micheal Spinks was a very good boxer, and he beat a few good boxers in Bruno, Ruddick, Mathis, Tucker, etc.

The thing was that he could have been great but he was a head case. Even before the rape conviction he was on the way down. He was fun to watch and before Cus died, he showed the skills but ultimately he wasted it.

You know what, sometimes in life you just have to learn to think for yourself. I could care less what anyone else thinks about Mike Tyson.

I personally rank Tyson as a top 50 greatest boxers of all time and and easily #10 greatest heavyweight of all time. Whether he was a head case or not was irrelevant. Few mortals have reached that level of boxing prowess. Mike Tyson in his prime had top notch defense (head movement), great knock out power, speed, and competitive spirit. He may not have reached his full potential due to personal problems, but the short time he was 100% focused on boxing spoke volumes of his talent.

Tyson is the youngest heavyweight champion in history and united all of the belts during his reign. He was a storm of ferocity inside and outside of the ring. He will always be remembered!

-J

Last edited:
You know what, sometimes in life you just have to learn to think for yourself. I could care less what anyone else thinks about Mike Tyson.

I personally rank Tyson as a top 50 greatest boxers of all time and and easily #10 greatest heavyweight of all time. Whether he was a head case or not was irrelevant. Few mortals have reached that level of boxing prowess. Mike Tyson in his prime had top notch defense (head movement), great knock out power, speed, and competitive spirit. He may not have reached his full potential due to personal problems, but the short time he was 100% focused on boxing spoke volumes of his talent.

Tyson is the youngest heavyweight champion in history and united all of the belts during his reign. He was a storm of ferocity inside and outside of the ring. He will always be remembered!

-J

At the end of the day Tyson will be remembered as a tragedy not a success. You are 100% correct about what tyson had. But and this is a big one, he lost to Buster Douglas when he was young and in his prime. That was the first knock on him. Losing to Lennox and Holyfield is nothing to be ashamed of but an all time great would have beat them.

Maybe he had the talent to be a top 10 guy but he blew it.

When he fought Danny Williams and McBride, Tyson was already out of his prime.

Buster Douglas - Tyson would've won a rematch easily.

Michael Spinks was a great boxer and he's considered better than Tyson, so for Tyson to beat him in like a minute shows how talented Tyson was.

Tyson was washed up by the time he fought williams and mcbride, but you can't pretend it didn't happen.

Douglas, he would have won the first fight too if it was only hypothetical. There was no way Douglas belonged in the same ring as tyson, until he beat him.

Spinks was a very good boxer, great is debatable. His two big opponents were Holmes and Tyson. He beat Holmes twice (both times in close fights) and was destroyed by Tyson.

It is debatable who was tyson's best win Spinks or Holmes. I would argue Spinks seeing as he had beat Holmes and holmes was fading by the time he fought tyson. They are both very good wins, even a faded Holmes was a tough out right up to the end. However, compare those two guys against the quality of guys that the best HW in history fought. Ali's era alone had 4-6 guys in that level.

Spinks and a faded Holmes does not a top 10 all time make.

He was a great HW, but his prime was so short and at the end of his career people mainly watched because of the theatrics. He beat good fighters in his prime but nobody really great other than Spinks (who was a small HW). I think after he got rid of Kevin Rooney he was never the same. He had waaay too many distractions and just did it for the money. He also never avenged any of his losses and showed pretty weak heart throughout his career. He was a classic bully and when you fight him back and aren't scared (Holyfield) he wilted. Granted that was post prison but you can't make excuses for the guy all the time. He's a top 10 HW all time but he's viewed mostly as a tragedy and what could have been.

You'll find quite a few around here that disrespect Tyson's accomplishments. They will usually say his competition wasnt strong etc. Like they know what they're talking about. :rolleyes:

How many here fought the heavyweights in the 70s, 80s and 90s and are thus qualified to tell us which era had the best heavyweights? Thats right, none.

They rely on old footage, what this guy or that guy said, all while pretending they are absolutely right, and you're absolutely wrong, that Tyson was never that great to begin with and he basically fought nobodies.

They will then point to him getting beat by Lewis as proof he was nothing, conveniently overlooking everything else up until that point. Its disgusting really.

You'll find quite a few around here that disrespect Tyson's accomplishments. They will usually say his competition wasnt strong etc. Like they know what they're talking about. :rolleyes:

How many here fought the heavyweights in the 70s, 80s and 90s and are thus qualified to tell us which era had the best heavyweights? Thats right, none.

They rely on old footage, what this guy or that guy said, all while pretending they are absolutely right, and you're absolutely wrong, that Tyson was never that great to begin with and he basically fought nobodies.

They will then point to him getting beat by Lewis as proof he was nothing, conveniently overlooking everything else up until that point. Its disgusting really.

I don't think anyone has done that. I grew up during the tyson era. I remember the shock of him losing to Douglas, the controversial counts, everything.

His loss to Lewis was a footnote really, it means very little to his overall legacy.

And because I haven't been fighting hw boxers since the 20s I can't compare fighter from.different era's? That is a bullshit cop out. I didn't play NBA ball either but I can tell you why Jordan is better than lebron.

Well, I guess only Larry Holmes is allowed to comment on how good Mike Tyson is then. Unless you're him...

I don't overlook his prior two losses to Holyfield or his loss to Douglas at all. Nor do I let him off the hook for not fighting Mercer, Morrison, Foreman, Moorer or Tua during his supposed prime (while fighting lesser competition). Even before that I try to be fair and take into account the fact that he didn't qualify for the Olympics as an amateur.

And because I haven't been fighting hw boxers since the 20s I can't compare fighter from.different era's? That is a bullshit cop out.

Really?

So the fact these assholes Im speaking of, who base their opinions on observation,are fair to completely dismiss his position in the history of hw boxers?

How can you say which decade had the best heavyweights? Its all a matter of opinion, not fact, isnt it? Bullshit cop out? Nah, I dont think so pal.

Well, I guess only Larry Holmes is allowed to comment on how good Mike Tyson is then. Unless you're him...

I don't overlook his prior two losses to Holyfield or his loss to Douglas at all. Nor do I let him off the hook for not fighting Mercer, Morrison, Foreman, Moorer or Tua during his supposed prime (while fighting lesser competition). Even before that I try to be fair and take into account the fact that he didn't qualify for the Olympics as an amateur.

This is exactly the kind of person Im speaking of in the original post. A hater who says absolutely nothing good about the man, while shitting all over him.

When I think about what kind of sacrifice a boxer like Tyson made in the sport of boxing, we're talking about hard work only a fraction of Sherdoggers could truly begin to comprehend, what the man accomplished in his career etc. to read this kind of bullshit is enough to make me wish I could stick my hand through the monitor.

Its cats like you Breakfast who have absolutely no respect that I had in mind in the post you quoted.

This is exactly the kind of person Im speaking of in the original post. A hater who says absolutely nothing good about the man, while shitting all over him.

When I think about what kind of sacrifice a boxer like Tyson made in the sport of boxing, we're talking about hard work only a fraction of Sherdoggers could truly begin to comprehend, what the man accomplished in his career etc. to read this kind of bullshit is enough to make me wish I could stick my hand through the monitor.

Its cats like you Breakfast who have absolutely no respect that I had in mind in the post you quoted.

So how much respect do you save for Ray Mercer, David Tua and other guys who fought longer (and likely harder) and were arguably better than Tyson during their eras but never got a chance to fight him and gain the millions of dollars and adoration that would have come from beating him?

And FYI you don't love Tyson because of his sacrifice, you love him because of his talent and PR. There are plenty of boxers who sacrifice for the sport. Where is your love for Reggie Strickland?

Ummm it's pretty common knowledge that Tyson is overrated by the general public because he seemed so beastly, mean, don't forget athletic and explosive as well.

And being top 50 all time isn't bad you people -.- ESPECIALLY in a p4p list. A p4p list measures ALL boxers in ALL weights. You can't really justify putting mike at 10 if you look at all fighters in every weight class through the whole era of boxing. You're tellin me he was better than:

Marvelous Marvin Hagler
SRL
Roberto Duran
Thomas Hearns
SRR
Joe Luis
Willie motherfuckin Pep
Rocky Marciano
Jose Mantequilla Napoles
JCC

I truly do not believe anyone can argue succesfully argue that Mike is better than any of these.

I don't overlook his prior two losses to Holyfield or his loss to Douglas at all. Nor do I let him off the hook for not fighting Mercer, Morrison, Foreman, Moorer or Tua during his supposed prime (while fighting lesser competition).

Its this kind of post, from someone who clearly has little idea what they're talking about, that really pisses me off. Do you even have a clue as to what you're talking about? When exactly do you think Mike Tysons prime was? Just because Tyson was fighting in the 90s does not mean that is his prime.

But you are using that weak sauce as reasoning why Mike Tyson isnt this, or isnt that?

On November 22, 1986, Tyson was given his first title fight against Trevor Berbick for the World Boxing Council (WBC) heavyweight championship. Tyson won the title by second round TKO, and at the age of 20 years and 4 months became the youngest heavyweight champion in history.[18]

What was Tommy Morrison doing in 1986?
Win 1–0 William Muhammad TKO 1 (4) 10/11/1988 Felt Forum, New York, New York, United States

So Morrison's pro career did not even get started until 1988, yet Tyson was ducking Morrison in his prime? Its this kind of absurd argument, from people who clearly have little idea of what they're on about that really annoys the shit out of me .

Michael Moorer?
Win 1–0 Adrian Riggs TKO 1 (4) 04/03/1988 Las Vegas, Nevada,

So like Morrison, Moorers pro career is listed at 1988?

Yet Tyson was ducking these guys in his prime? lol

Ray Mercer?

Win 1–0 Jesse McGhee TKO 3 (?) 24/02/1989 Convention Center, Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States

Sad that people attempt to play games with a mans legacy, a man who accomplished great things. Great things many of us dream about, but few will ever attempt to even try.

Last edited:
Its this kind of post, from someone who clearly has little idea what they're talking about, that really pisses me off. Do you even have a clue as to what you're talking about? When exactly do you think Mike Tysons prime was? Just because Tyson was fighting in the 90s does not mean that is his prime.

But you are using that weak sauce as reasoning why Mike Tyson isnt this, or isnt that?

What was Tommy Morrison doing in 1986?

So Morrison's pro career did not even get started until 1988, yet Tyson was ducking Morrison in his prime? Its this kind of absurd argument, from people who clearly have little idea of what they're on about that really annoys the shit out of me .

So like Morrison, Moorers pro career is listed at 1988?

Yet Tyson was ducking these guys in their prime? lol

Ray Mercer?

Sad that people attempt to play games with a mans legacy, a man who accomplished great things. Great things many of us dream about, but few will ever attempt to even try.

If you love hard work, you should be hugging the whole Black Murderers Row like theres no 2moro.

Back