Why is there such a low standard for striking in mma?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by king of theRing, Dec 18, 2016.

1. king of theRing

king of theRing Black Belt

Idk maybe cause kickboxing was my first love and love boxing, but just so many times I look back and see some of most memorable fights in mma from viewers eyes, had the worst striking I have ever seen in my life. You got your obvious bonnar vs griffin which is basically two grapplers who wish they knew striking. Then zombie vs Garcia 1( I preferred the 2nd) which was like a elementary school level.

Now of course we got fighters who have good qualities. Cruz footwork and movement is great, but his boxing period is not, but I see high level movement. Then of course Anderson, Aldo, barboza and overeem. But in terms of high level kickboxing outside of reem and maybe a prime Anderson, we don't have anyone. Conor has good boxing traits and knowledge for an mma fighter, but not a good level. But for what the sport is and how crap alot are, it's very decent. I see Wonderboy as just like a Raymond Daniels, who's kickboxing career is mainly knocking out low level mma fighters who wanted to be kickboxers for a night and getting smoked when he fought decent talent. Yes I know he is like 57-0 as a kickboxer, but not fought literally one good opposition.

But the main point is we praise as great or amazing for what really is is mediocre or average.

Guess I never just seen why. Shouldn't mma be at a level now to where that is unacceptable these days? I can understand back then but damn its almost 2017.

Nothing wrong or shocking about a guy not being good on the feet if it's not his game, it's the fact I see mediocre to average (sometimes even lower than that) strikers getting praise like they're good ones.

If I seen alot of the fighters you guys praise as having damn good striking in a kickboxing ring on a big stage, I'd probably asked for a refund, or you they atleast pay me

Thug Rose and dontlaugh like this.
  2. SuperNerd

SuperNerd Season Mode.

Because strikers have other sports. Grapplers do not.

3. The Best JG

The Best JG Platinum Nation!!

Because if u only train striking then royce gracie chokes you dead. Did you not see ufc 1 you fucking amateur?

4. skullmaskkid

skullmaskkid Banned Banned

if you are watching kickboxing for high level striking you are doing it wrong. kickboxing full of boxing washouts or just guys never good enough to make it.

RichardN7 and FlowchartKen like this.
  5. billharford

billharford 181 Likes

because you have to learn about six different disciplines instead of drilling down on just one?

6. bad_k

bad_k Brown Belt

the best strikers in MMA will destroy your favorite boxers in strikes only match.

RichardN7, ZacMyBoy and Air Lats like this.
  7. Acoustic

Acoustic Yellow Belt

You can't compare boxing to MMA technique, and you can't compare kickboxing to MMA technique.

So many things change once you add grappling, kicks, open gloves with fingers, octagon vs ring, ect.

I use to think the same about how well kickboxing looked compared to MMA striking. Then I started training and realized how different they are.

Also why it's silly to have a kickboxing coach, a wrestling coach, a BJJ coach, ect. The MMA version of all of those are very different. You need at least one coach that can link all of those together and adapt for MMA.

8. king of theRing

ok ok ok. You're missing my point. I said fans wise. Not cause they have other aspects to train

9. Threetrees

Threetrees Donald Trump is a Hoe

Who is praised for being a good striker that's not one
    My apologies, I only skimmed the OP - Wonderboy is your example?

10. king of theRing

The main point is why Is not that good, great in the viewers eyes?

11. SuperNerd

SuperNerd Season Mode.

It's relative. We are aware MMA fighters are doing more, training other things. We do not expect them to be as good as boxers/kick boxers.

It's unfair to hold them to the same standard.

Jblizzle, Fyreborn and paynebringer like this.
  12. cocky

cocky Red Belt

Because MMA guys have to concentrate on far more than just striking.

Rebel_LioN and paynebringer like this.
  13. Threetrees

Its not, most MMA fans acknowledge that MMA striking is pretty bad

Air Lats and SuperNerd like this.
  14. king of theRing

Yes Wonderboy is a great one. Then you see people day that Choi kid has such great boxing, when it's really just well....... novice and good basic

Air Lats likes this.
  15. Air Lats

Air Lats Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

At a restraurant eating a succulent Chinese meal.
    Interesting idea! (No sarcasm)

To TS:
    Dude, I really thinks it's mostly the takedown threat.

MMA striking won't ever tick ALL your boxes for 'great striking' because it's just not possible to do all those things and not get taken down.

It's a different game so it going to look different.
    Just my opinion ...

16. king of theRing

Best I could say to prove my point is no kickboxing purist thinks Raymond Daniels is any good at a good level, yet if you're primary mma fan, they tend to think he was something special.

Get my point now?

Boy God likes this.
  17. Threetrees

"Novice and basic" is good
    Also
    "If it works it's good boxing" look at some of the really good boxers of old, not all of them were textbook. MMA striking is behind boxing, it's a new sport - trainers and fighters are still searching for tactics that work, and this isn't boxing where dudes have been doing padwork since their early teens a lot of these guys have been striking part time for 5 years or less. Boxing is HARD, it might be one of the hardest sports on the planet to do well and it's not completely transferable to MMA

When a guy has the basics right, we marvel at it because it's very hard to do. Conor is not a great boxer, not by any stretch. But he's not bad, he does the right things for the right reasons and for MMA he's great. Same with Silva back in the day. Cruz is sloppy with his hands, but his footwork is tight and his punches while looping land with deceny accuracy - so it's good striking and we're fine with it.

Striking is hard. It's harder in MMA.

mon, MartiniSIDe, g*r*b and 2 others like this.
  18. king of theRing

You can even look at it without looking in mma and focus on striking only sports.

19. Threetrees

Wonderboy wasn't anything special when he transferred over either. He was flashy but he was hittable and not a great striker, he was just better than his competition. People didn't start to think he was really good until he made adjustments and styled on Hendricks then shutdown Rory (who does look like a textbook for stretches when he strikes) in impressive fashion. I agree, his striking is a bit overrated - but relative to the field? He's good

And that's all that matters, how good are they relative to the rest of their contemporaries. If they're better than everyone else, they're great.

Fyreborn and SuperNerd like this.
  20. SuperNerd

SuperNerd Season Mode.

In comparison to their MMA favourites, yeah maybe.

I think a rational human adult would be able to adjust his opinions.

It sounds like you have your mind made.

Rebel_LioN and Threetrees like this.