Why is there no sudden death in boxing (extra round?) in the event of a draw?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just have an extra round in the case of a tie. They have it in most other sports, so why not boxing?

By the time they finish adding up the judges scorecards and determining the winner the fighters have been waiting around for some time. I don't think it would be safe to have a grueling 12 round fight, have the fighters stand around for 5 minutes or so, and then tell them that they have to fight some more.

Other sports can end in a tie as well. For example, the NFL has ties every year. They don't continue playing beyond a certain point for safety reasons. They only go to a "sudden death" type of scenario in the playoffs, because somebody has to continue in the tournament. Boxing is not done that way, so there is nothing wrong with a draw. The fighters can always have a rematch once they both recover.

I don't see whats so bad about a draw, from a fight fans perspective.

The USBA used to have a 13th round for their title fights in the event of a draw back in the '80s. And, while those contests in which it was used did produce a winner the additional rounds were usually sloppy efforts between two mentally, emotionally & physically fighters. So, it was done away with.

On common criticism of Kellerman was moving from 15 rounds (an odd #) to 10 or 12. I don't mind draws, and I'm not sure I'd like the idea of waiting ten minutes, going over the cards, then restarting. NHL had ties for years, and then did this silly 3/3 shootout crap. One smart UFC did on TUF was call them "sudden victory"... for obvious potential PR disaster reasons...

By the time they finish adding up the judges scorecards and determining the winner the fighters have been waiting around for some time. I don't think it would be safe to have a grueling 12 round fight, have the fighters stand around for 5 minutes or so, and then tell them that they have to fight some more.

Other sports can end in a tie as well. For example, the NFL has ties every year. They don't continue playing beyond a certain point for safety reasons. They only go to a "sudden death" type of scenario in the playoffs, because somebody has to continue in the tournament. Boxing is not done that way, so there is nothing wrong with a draw. The fighters can always have a rematch once they both recover.
That can be fixed if they just track the scoring round by round like they do in the amateurs. I think it would keep judges more honest too if they knew their scorecards were being scrutinized live. There is no reason that scorecards need to take five minutes to add up.

That can be fixed if they just track the scoring round by round like they do in the amateurs. I think it would keep judges more honest too if they knew their scorecards were being scrutinized live. There is no reason that scorecards need to take five minutes to add up.
They had a round scoring system before, it didn't account for knockdowns or anything. So Pacman/Marquez 1 would've been a pretty dominant win for Marquez on a rounds scorecard as he would've won like 9 rounds to 3, but that dismissed the 3 knockdowns Pacman had in the first round.

I think it would only be acceptable in the case of open scoring.

However, that would open a lot of fan conjecture about promoters and channels having influence on that open scoring to get more rounds out of fighters / increase the fan entertainment.

A countback on significant strike might encourage more action.

They had a round scoring system before, it didn't account for knockdowns or anything. So Pacman/Marquez 1 would've been a pretty dominant win for Marquez on a rounds scorecard as he would've won like 9 rounds to 3, but that dismissed the 3 knockdowns Pacman had in the first round.
It wouldn't be that hard to score for knockdowns. I don't see why it wouldn't be better.

On common criticism of Kellerman was moving from 15 rounds (an odd #) to 10 or 12. I don't mind draws, and I'm not sure I'd like the idea of waiting ten minutes, going over the cards, then restarting. NHL had ties for years, and then did this silly 3/3 shootout crap. One smart UFC did on TUF was call them "sudden victory"... for obvious potential PR disaster reasons...

Why does it take 10 minutes to read three fricken cards? How drunk are the officials?

Judging by some of the cards, very!!

Why does it take 10 minutes to read three fricken cards? How drunk are the officials?
it's not so much that there are reasons why, one is time for replay between when the scores are read. Another is the scorecards are individually collected then copied over to the Master scorecard sheet, which takes a little time, then they let the doctors look at the fighters to make sure they aren't in dire need of medical attention to attend the reading of the cards and they are also positioning media members and cameras, tv ring announcers around and in the ring for post fight interviews and such. State athletic commissions also are not going to be forced to hurry themselves by a promoter or crowd. You try getting your local government to work at the speed you want them, tell me how it goes.

The shootout is lame, but 3/3 has been a fun idea. I wouldn't mind ties in the NHL, though.

I hate three on three. It favors teams with speed over everything else.

America’s hatred it ties is so counter to its participation trophy mentality. I can’t put the two together.

Back