Why is the reason 12-6 elbows are not allowed?

Why is the reason 12-6 elbows are not allowed by nevada? They are used in muay thai and they can be super useful in GnP.
McCarthy said it was a compromise when rules were being decided. Almost like a concession to whoever wanted a lot of rules/banned strikes.

Rogan has literally been talking about it for 10 years. Cruz finally told him to STFU

I get why they’re illegal, for sure.

What I DONT get, is Big Johns explanation that the same movement/strike is allowed the person throwing has their body at an angle that changes it from 12-6 to, say, 3-9. Which is fucking stupid, because it is exactly the same strike regardless of what angle the person throwing is standing at.

That explanation just proves to me that they don’t even know why they’ve banned it.

Uh, there is this thing called 'gravity'. At 12-6 you can put your weight into it in a way you can't at 3-9. Your explanation just proves you don't know Newton.

Uh, there is this thing called 'gravity'. At 12-6 you can put your weight into it in a way you can't at 3-9. Your explanation just proves you don't know Newton.

I call bullshit pedantry on your part.

Gravity has an incredibly little part to play when throwing an elbow. If you can throw a hard elbow 12-6 when standing, you can throw a hard elbow using the exact same range of motion when your body is at an angle.

The rule is stupid and everyone knows it's stupid.

Ty. So sick of the ice breaking story or whatever it was Rogan brought up

Rogan gave the true story. They just had to make some shit up for the rule books.

A Karate guy could snap a skull in half like nothing.

If you have ever been hit by 12-6 once or repeatedly you understand why. if you haven’t go let someone do it to you, before you post they should allow it.

Elbow is more dangerous than a fist with no gloves on. The force you can create with it and it being one the most boniness protruding part of the human anatomy makes one the most deadliest blows.

If anyone trains or fights knows this. If you are trying kill someone in hand combat. I highly recommend 12-6 elbow blows to that person face and skull until elbow goes through their face or skull.
cAfCO5Z.gif

There is more torque generated in a spinning elbow than anything you can generate going straight up and down. Just like how a spinning roundhouse kick will generate more torque, and power, than an axe kick ever will. It's basic physics.

Last edited:
It's kinda a dumb rule

But a small part of me wants it to stay illegal just to spite joe rogan for telling that stupid story a million times

I've never heard a compelling argument to justify them being banned.

I'm just going to chalk it up to some arbitrary compromise they made to please the commission.

Why soccer kicks were allowed and elbows weren't was even weirder

Not really. They didnt like fights being stopped due to cuts and werent big fans of lots of blood. You could elbow the body though.

Not really. They didnt like fights being stopped due to cuts and werent big fans of lots of blood. You could elbow the body though.
Absolutely true. When Bellator did same day tournaments they banned elbows for the simple reason of trying to limit the amount of cuts to fighters faces.
PRIDE was in the same boat.

so we just have to accept/believe that a 12-6 elbow in ground & pound is more dangerous than a full spinning elbow in the face. =)

cAfCO5Z.gif

There is more torque generated in a spinning elbow than anything you can generate going straight up and down. Just like how a spinning roundhouse kick will generate more torque, and power, than an axe kick ever will. It's basic physics.

people miss way more with spinnin elbows than are landed. It’s harder hit direct blow with a elbow while spinning. You have no clue if that person going move before you turn around 360 degrees to land that blow. No one has landed spinning elbow on me but have been hit by a 12-6. Also landed my own 12-6 elbow blows to someone, I seen and felt damage what 12-6 does.

The downward force of body weight plus using your muscles to generator power, short close torque. What punch delivers more power long over hand or upper cut?

when you have someone back or mounting you can’t do a spinning elbow. You can land 12-6 in the clinch, having someone back, or mounting someone. It way more dangerous tool to have vs spinning elbow.

If I wanted to break bones, 12 -6 elbows is what i would do.

I hate elbows in fighting in general because they are pointing and cause cuts easily.

Back