Why is sugar bad?

There are SERIOUS health benefits from them, much of which you can only derive from fruit.

Honestly, I forgot about all those things. Apologies.

I focused a lot more on the whole "sugar=absolute bad and should be avoided at all costs!".

In a word, insulin. Insulin resistance. Insulin is an effective fat building hormone. The future estimates of diabetes in the US are staggering, basically one in three Americans born today will become T2 diabetics.

Sugar is also addictive.

I eat donuts once a month or so, have dark chocolate bars once or twice a week, a Jack and Coke maybe twice a year, I do eat fresh fruit daily and coconut water couple times a week. Sugar from fruit like blueberries for example is combined with fiber to gradually hit your bloodstream, whereas skittles will just make your blood sugar levels explode then tank and build insulin resistance.

Insulin resistance can build to the point that your body is so used to elevated blood sugars that your body will actually break down muscle into sugar to maintain a high blood sugar, because that is now what your body considers homeostasis.

In a word, insulin. Insulin resistance. Insulin is an effective fat building hormone. The future estimates of diabetes in the US are staggering, basically one in three Americans born today will become T2 diabetics.

Sugar is also addictive.

I eat donuts once a month or so, have dark chocolate bars once or twice a week, a Jack and Coke maybe twice a year, I do eat fresh fruit daily and coconut water couple times a week. Sugar from fruit like blueberries for example is combined with fiber to gradually hit your bloodstream, whereas skittles will just make your blood sugar levels explode then tank and build insulin resistance.

Insulin resistance can build to the point that your body is so used to elevated blood sugars that your body will actually break down muscle into sugar to maintain a high blood sugar, because that is now what your body considers homeostasis.

I'm not saying your lying but do you have a source for that last paragraph?

Sugar is also addictive.

Yeah, this is pretty much all wrong. Go home.

It isn't inherently bad, but a lot of the foods that are popular have sugar in extremely large doses compared to how much of it you should be taking in within a given day.

I'm not saying your lying but do you have a source for that last paragraph?

Robb Wolfs Paleo Solution book, medical books, etc. Look up insulin resistance in any medical surgical book.

magick, I don't need a wiki page for insulin bro lol, I never said that all insulin does is build fat, pointing out the obvious link between sugar and insulin, is a good place to start when discussing the problem with sugar.

Seriously-Dead, your post brings nothing to the table, where do you want to start dweeb with a blog with 10 views?

Seriously-Dead, your post brings nothing to the table, where do you want to dweeb with a blog with 10 views?
HAHAHAHA Internet tough guy is severely outmatched.

Pssttt ... He is a researcher for an endocrinologist with a focus is on the inflammatory and endocrine progression through the states of obesity, metabolic syndrome, and Type II diabetes.

OK his post still brings nothing to the table, don't care who he brings coffee to

Robb Wolfs Paleo Solution book, medical books, etc. Look up insulin resistance in any medical surgical book.

magick, I don't need a wiki page for insulin bro lol, I never said that all insulin does is build fat, pointing out the obvious link between sugar and insulin, is a good place to start when discussing the problem with sugar.

Seriously-Dead, your post brings nothing to the table, where do you want to start dweeb with a blog with 10 views?

When someone asks for a source, you'll gain much more credibility by actually providing a primary source - not a vague list including "medical books"/a book on a fad diet.

A food being insulinogenic doesn't make it "bad" - that argument is criminally oversimplified. If that's your reason for calling out sugar, I would love to hear your thoughts on whey.

Ad hominem does you no favors.

I guess my first post in the diet/supplement forum struck a nerve with some of you people. Scottm, you don't seem like a real man trying to get personal and shit. You want to try and talk shit to a stranger online, shows what a bitch you are.

This diet/supplement forum, which I have only briefly browsed as I am usually on grappling/striking/ufc subforums, seems eager to say sugar is okay.

World health organization says sugar should be 5% or less of your caloric intake. Average american intake of sugar is 150-170lbs of sugar a year. These are facts. This is why we have people whose full time job is studying fat people. I am more interested in performance, not fat people.

Adios

Last edited:
When someone asks for a source, you'll gain much more credibility by actually providing a primary source - not a vague list including "medical books"/a book on a fad diet. .

What makes it a fad diet and if it is in fact a fad diet what diet isnt? What diet would you suggest?

I guess my first post in the diet/supplement forum struck a nerve with some of you people. Scottm, you don't seem like a real man trying to get personal and shit. You want to try and talk shit to a stranger online, shows what a bitch you are.

Attempting to apply logic that works for you but not when you attacked Seriously Dead's credibility, which would be the initial personal attack in this thread. :rolleyes:

Listen kid, I'm a grown ass man with no time for your childish trolling. If you want to have intelligent discussions with adults based on scientific fact and data, lets enjoy some healthy debate. Otherwise stop with the ad hominem crap.
If you don't want to be strangers come say hi, I'll buy you a bus ticket:

Last edited:
Attempting to apply logic that works for you but not when you attacked Seriously Dead's credibility, which would be the initial personal attack in this thread. :rolleyes:

Listen kid, I'm a grown ass man with no time for your childish trolling. If you want to have intelligent discussions with adults based on scientific fact and data, lets enjoy some healthy debate. Otherwise stop with the ad hominem crap.
If you don't want to be strangers come say hi, I'll buy you a bus ticket:
Scott Massari

FB request sent :D

Scott I posted facts and you guys tell me I am full of shit and to go home. If he posted some facts instead of saying go home I would respect his credentials a little bit more.

Can we agree that sugar elevates your blood sugar? Excessive sugar is horrible for your blood vessels right? Can we agree that one in three Americans will become type two diabetics? Can we agree that eating 150-170lbs of sugar a year is horrible for you? Can we agree that water is wet or do I need a reference for that too?

Future of diabetes - http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/20030616/one-in-three-kids-will-develop-diabetes
Fiber slows glucose absorption - http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/slow-glucose-absorption-6661.html

Muscle wasting and glucose - http://www.livestrong.com/article/548373-muscle-wasting-glucose/

So what part of my first post was the problem?

Other important point - Damage to blood vessels, in particular, means no area is safe from too much sugar. http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/how-sugar-affects-diabetes?page=2

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetes/expert-blog/high-blood-sugar/bgp-20056519

Scott I posted facts and you guys tell me I am full of shit and to go home. If he posted some facts instead of saying go home I would respect his credentials a little bit more.

Can we agree that sugar elevates your blood sugar? Excessive sugar is horrible for your blood vessels right? Can we agree that one in three Americans will become type two diabetics? Can we agree that eating 150-170lbs of sugar a year is horrible for you? Can we agree that water is wet or do I need a reference for that too?

Future of diabetes - http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/20030616/one-in-three-kids-will-develop-diabetes
Fiber slows glucose absorption - http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/slow-glucose-absorption-6661.html

Muscle wasting and glucose - http://www.livestrong.com/article/548373-muscle-wasting-glucose/

So what part of my first post was the problem?

Other important point - Damage to blood vessels, in particular, means no area is safe from too much sugar. http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/how-sugar-affects-diabetes?page=2

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetes/expert-blog/high-blood-sugar/bgp-20056519

webmd, healthyeating.com, and livestrong are mildly weak citations at best so no they don't support any of your claims.
Why do we grow weary of your drivel? Because it's been done dozens and dozens of times before and you can't see the forest for the trees. You've already ignored well presented data, and have given zero credence to the important variables of dosage and context. It is irresponsible and uninformed to damn sugar in a vacuum.
So yes those that understand get tired of swatting the same type of zealous flies that pop up continually in these types of threads.

Scott there are tons of sources on any of those subjects I posted but I won't bother, I don't really have the time or inclination to spoon feed basic information and it is kind of embarrassing that you choose to ignore it and want to dispute it. There are reasons why the World Health Organization says sugar should be 5% or less of overall diet, a few years ago it was 10% or less which I would also consider fairly reasonable. I don't see any experts arguing with this, some sugar is OK and I enjoy sweets at times but real food should be 90% or more of your diet.

WHO isn't training athletes.

Keep reading webmd and livestrong.

Last edited:
Back