Why is sugar bad?

Its not sugar, its fructose, the body can process only 50grams a day, everything else gets turned into triglycerids, also sugary food doesnt really fills you up so its pretty easy to overeat with sugary foods than fat.

Also the whole sugar vs fat overeating debate is like the gun vs knives, sure in the end both can kill, but its far easier to do with one over the other.

So its not likely that you will binge 2k calories of pizza and then eat something else 3 hours later (you will probably be full for the rest of the day), if you eat 2k calories of ice cream you will be feeling hungry 2 hours later.

Its not sugar, its fructose, the body can process only 50grams a day, everything else gets turned into triglycerids, also sugary food doesnt really fills you up so its pretty easy to overeat with sugary foods than fat.

See, the big problem with sugar, is that you take shitty facts at face value and fail to actually evaluate those claims.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0026049511000953
One of the proposed causes of obesity and metabolic syndrome is the excessive intake of products containing added sugars, in particular, fructose. Although the ability of excessive intake of fructose to induce metabolic syndrome is mounting, to date, no study has addressed whether a diet specifically lowering fructose but not total carbohydrates can reduce features of metabolic syndrome. A total of 131 patients were randomized to compare the short-term effects of 2 energy-restricted diets

Interesting. It's best not to think about nutrition much. Just go Paleo muhaha.

Just eat whole foods as much as possible within the calorie range that will get you to your goals. If you're working out, eat enough protein. Eat enough fat.

I think most of us that have been here a while have seen so much nonsense and so many crazy ideas go around but we've all come to similar conclusions. I still use intermittent fasting, intermittently, for the purposes of calorie restriction only since it makes it easier for me. But there is no magic bullet, no secret diet, no super "evil" ingredient - most people, if they have even a rudimentary understanding of nutrition, could put together a sensible diet.

Seeing threads like this still go around makes me sad. It should be so much simpler, but everyone is looking for quick fixes and scapegoats.

You cherry picked an extremely highly sugary fruit and probably dried fruit in your bullshit example. Five dates? What size? What weight?

A date palm is 75% sugar... Our ancestor monkeys did not grow up in Iraq and did not eat dates. A banana is 12% sugar.

Haha right? I wonder why he didn't pick Tomatoes, Eggplants, or Avocados to prove his point about "Fruits being like gummy bears"

Ignorance is a self inflicted disease.

Also the whole sugar vs fat overeating debate is like the gun vs knives, sure in the end both can kill, but its far easier to do with one over the other.

So its not likely that you will binge 2k calories of pizza and then eat something else 3 hours later (you will probably be full for the rest of the day), if you eat 2k calories of ice cream you will be feeling hungry 2 hours later.

It's not like you'll eat 2k pizza then eat 3 hours later???

That sir, sounds like a challenge i'll gladly accept! ;)

You cherry picked an extremely highly sugary fruit and probably dried fruit in your bullshit example. Five dates? What size? What weight?

A date palm is 75% sugar... Our ancestor monkeys did not grow up in Iraq and did not eat dates. A banana is 12% sugar.

I asked you a very specific question - to explain why refined sugar, with identical chemical composition, is "the crack cocaine of food", while the sugar in a date (or any other fruit) is not. You made a bold statement, and I want you to justify it.

I didn't cherry pick anything, as that's the nutrition data for five average sized fresh dates, which are one of the oldest cultivated fruits in existence. You could pick figs, the oldest known cultivated fruit, and you'd get a very similar profile - but the choice doesn't matter. I'm not going to discuss your paleo allusions, because it has nothing to do with my original question. I wonder though, if you apply the same razor to your protein and fat choices.

By the way, the grapes you feed your son have very low micronutrient content and the exact same sugar composition as refined sugar. The only principle difference between them and candy is their water content, essentially making them little balls of sugar water. Food for thought.

Last edited:
Haha right? I wonder why he didn't pick Tomatoes, Eggplants, or Avocados to prove his point about "Fruits being like gummy bears"

Ignorance is a self inflicted disease.

You probably shouldn't put things in quotes that aren't actually a quote. I never said anything about "fruits being like gummy bears". I simply asked him to tell me why the sugar in the dates, or any other fruit, are healthy - while refined sugar is "the crack cocaine of food".

I would never equate fruit to candy, and if that's what you got from my question then you completely misunderstood me. Plenty of fruits are full of micronutrients, and due to their water/fiber content, are highly satisfying foods. Many are also full of sugar, which is chemically identical to the sugar constantly being demonized, and that really just makes zero sense.

It's rare to have someone so aggressively dogmatic on this board, and I'm trying to take the opportunity to see what makes him take the stance he does.

Last edited:
You probably shouldn't put things in quotes that aren't actually a quote. I never said anything about "fruits being like gummy bears". I simply asked him to tell me why the sugar in the dates, or any other fruit, are healthy - while refined sugar is "the crack cocaine of food".

I would never equate fruit to candy, and if that's what you got from my question then you completely misunderstood me. Plenty of fruits are full of micronutrients, and due to their water/fiber content, are highly satisfying foods. Many are also full of sugar, which is chemically identical to the sugar constantly being demonized, and that really just makes zero sense.

It's rare to have someone so aggressively dogmatic on this board, and I'm trying to take the opportunity to see what makes him take the stance he does.

Touche, I suppose. But when I put "Fruits being like gummy bears" I was referring to the guy who listed out all the sugar contents and then said in so many words how fruits were like candy. Quotes don't have to mean actual quotations from people.

But yes, your right, I don't understand it either.

I'm not a scientist in any kind of relevant field or anything but I wanted to offer my take on sugars vs sugars. Different forms of sugar (natural ones, refined is just shit regardless) do have different chemical differences and this can be seen in stuff to do with different chains or something I think they call it. For example, moonshine made with refined sugar is always a little harsh on the palate. Moonshine made with nothing but malt and corn is normally quite smooth but a single malt is unrivalled in how smooth on the palate it is.
Brandy and eau de vie, or vodka made from grains or potato starch are usually smoother to drink then vodka made from sugar wash. However vodka isn't always a good benchmark due to carbon polishing and stuff so never mind it for now.
Moonshine made with refined sugar is primarily fermenting sucrose. Malt and corn is maltodextrines and dextrose, and usually the dextrose in the corn begins as starch and is converted into dextrose by the alpha and beta amylase enzymes contained in the malt during the mashing in process. Single malt is maltose and/or maltodextrines. Fruit ferments are fructose.
The zymurgical process involves yeast consuming and processing the sugars available. The fact that different sugars produce different results when fermented and distilled might be some kind of indication that organisms (ourselves included) react differently to different sugars...?

Just a thought I had. My .02

simple sugars found in soda, chocolate, sweets give you a huge hit of energy and then a come down later ... as the sugars are simple carbohydrates that your body breaks down so quickly.

What you want is complex carbohydrates which take longer to break down, thus being slow releasing energy, this is more stable release of energy over a longer time. Instead of a boom/bust type energy release you get from soda/sweets. Complex carbs found in brown bread, beans, brown rice, vegetables etc.

Having a boom/bust in energy can probably affect your mood.

Love how you avoided saying anything about fruits.

Sugar is also very bad for the teeth, because it provides easily digestible energy for the bad bacteria in the mouth. Sugar contains a lot of calories, with no essential nutrients. It also causes tooth decay by feeding the harmful bacteria in the mouth. Eat less sugar if you want to live longer.

Weight Gain :
It is no surprise that consuming too much sugar can make you gain weight. Extra sugar your body does not immediately require for energy can easily be converted to triglycerides, a type of fat that can then be stored around your waist as well as in your hips and thighs.
Diabetes :

Impaired Immune System :
Your immune system is one of the most important defense mechanisms your body has against infections.

Chronic Diseases :
In addition to elevating your blood sugar levels, constantly eating too much sugar can also result in elevated insulin levels

we are provide to all diabetes medicine visite site : buy karnim online in affordable rate

I drink pop or anything high in sugar right after a workout to replace the lost glycogen that you depleted in your workout. The rest of the times i eat carbs but there complex carbs. The reason why i don't take in complex carbs right after the workout is because i want to replace the lost glycogen as fast as i can.

Sugar is also very bad for the teeth, because it provides easily digestible energy for the bad bacteria in the mouth. Sugar contains a lot of calories, with no essential nutrients. It also causes tooth decay by feeding the harmful bacteria in the mouth. Eat less sugar if you want to live longer.

Weight Gain :
It is no surprise that consuming too much sugar can make you gain weight. Extra sugar your body does not immediately require for energy can easily be converted to triglycerides, a type of fat that can then be stored around your waist as well as in your hips and thighs.
Diabetes :

Impaired Immune System :
Your immune system is one of the most important defense mechanisms your body has against infections.

Chronic Diseases :
In addition to elevating your blood sugar levels, constantly eating too much sugar can also result in elevated insulin levels

we are provide to all diabetes medicine visite site : buy karnim online in affordable rate

Yeah but you can say too much of anything weather it be carbs, fats, and proteins will make you gain fat.

I've noticed a lot of nutritionists in the media now say fruits are bad due to the fructose (sugars) in them. It makes me want to mix several superfood fruits together, like goji, acai, blackcurrants, red grapes, etc. and ferment them into a dry wine. I'm sure a glass or so a day would be an excellent way to receive the nutrients without the sugars.

It causes diabetes and inflammation in the body it's much better to eat sugars naturally through fruit's for example then it is to eat a box of candy.

Lol.

Seriously though I bet a fermented health tonic made from several "superfood" fruits would be great for the body, in moderation of course.

Fuck it, I'll go buy some EC-1118 and a bunch of superfruits and see how it goes :)

Back