Why is sugar bad?

Refined sugar is the crack cocaine of food. Cheap, nasty, addictive and fucks you up. You might as well defend crack as being fine if you use it in moderate amounts. As far as overeating is concerned, sugar has such a calorie value that you can overeat easily.

Where is the supporting data or well conducted studies for this statement.

Fructose-glucose syrup is something different and its put into just about everything in the US (say Coke). I refuse to eat anything with it in its ingredients.

Its utter shit. Our ancestors didn't grow up eating highly refined sugar crap in limitless amounts, if they had access to it, they'd have died out. Utterly unnatural.

Fruit has a relatively tiny amount of fructose.

Five dates contain ~90g of sugar, in equal parts fructose and glucose.

3 oz of gummy bears contain about the same amount of sugar, with the same ratio of fructose and glucose.

I would like you to educate me on exactly why the gummy bears are "the crack cocaine of food", and why the dates are not. Please compare and contrast the sugar content and quality of both.

3 oz of gummy bears contain about the same amount of sugar, with the same ratio of fructose and glucose.

I would like you to educate me on exactly why the gummy bears are "the crack cocaine of food", and why the dates are not. Please compare and contrast the sugar content and quality of both.

You can't even believe how satisfied I am that people are destroying all of the bullshit claims made in this subforum.

It went uncontested for years.

So gummy bears are as healthy as datils ?

The only benefit is the dates contain fiber which fills you up and vitamins

otherwise both are the same

The only benefit is the dates contain fiber which fills you up and vitamins

otherwise both are the same

Exactly. The fiber and vitamins are beneficial, but at the same time dosages matter.

I once worked briefly with a 400 lb diabetic who didn't understand why he could not lose weight and kept having fasting blood sugar levels of 180-200 in the morning.

First thing I asked, what are you actually eating. Whole food raw vegan diet of course. How much are you eating?

Turns out this guy thought it was acceptable to eat a full pound of blueberries as an appetizer. I strongly pointed out that while his food sources were relatively sensible, the dosages were not. He didn't want to hear that and never came back.

Fruit has a relatively tiny amount of fructose.

What?

Based on google random write-ups-

1 medium (182g) apple-
19g sugar.

1 cup (92g) grape-
15g sugar.

1 medium (118g) banana-
14g sugar.

1 cup (148g) blueberries-
15g sugar.

Blah blah blah.

1 serving of Haribo gummie-bears-
19g sugar.

And don't give me that crap about fruits having fiber (most have pitiful amounts of fiber, particularly the ones eaten by the U.S. public) and low amounts of micro-nutrients.

As far as I'm concerned, fruit is the same thing as eating gummie bears. The only difference is that fruits have a minute amount of fiber and micro-nutrients. But if you want actual useful amounts, you'd better be eating vegetables of various kinds and organ meats.

Regardless of the potential health risk of sugars, the whole "fruits are good for you and you should eat a lot of them" is complete crap in my (uneducated) opinion.

What?

1 medium (182g) apple-
19g sugar.

1 cup (92g) grape-
15g sugar.

1 medium (118g) banana-
14g sugar.

15g sugar.

Blah blah blah.

19g sugar.

And don't give me that crap about fruits having fiber (most have pitiful amounts of fiber, particularly the ones eaten by the U.S. public) and low amounts of micro-nutrients.

As far as I'm concerned, fruit is the same thing as eating gummie bears. The only difference is that fruits have a minute amount of fiber and micro-nutrients. But if you want actual useful amounts, you'd better be eating vegetables of various kinds and organ meats.

Regardless of the potential health risk of sugars, the whole "fruits are good for you and you should eat a lot of them" is complete crap in my (uneducated) opinion.

Are you seriously arguing this? The chemical structure of the sugar in fruits is harder to break down then processed candy, thus is spikes your insulin less. Also the fiber and nutrients DO make a difference. The GI of fruits is not as high as candy either for both of those reasons.

Apples skins have Quercertin which improves lung function, and helps memory and fights brain tissue damage found in Alzheimers patients. Also triterpenoids which fight cancer, and ursolic acid which is also important.

Bananas have loads of potassium and other IMPORTANT micronutrients.

Blueberries are full of micronutrients and antioxidants.

Grapes contain Reversatrol which has incredible health properties.

There are SERIOUS health benefits from them, much of which you can only derive from fruit.

Of course vegetables are amazing for you but...

Fruits=Good.

Last edited:

I don't think white refined sugar is half fructose

Here's how easily falsifiable your shitty hypothesis is:
One cup of gummi bears vs. the caloric equivalent of apples (six apples! Just to give you some perspective on density, satiety, water, and digestion).

The gummi bears come in at:
547 calories
23g of water
9% RDA Vit C
25% RDA Copper
9% RDA Selenium
8.5g protein

The equivalent calories from apples comes in at:
565 calories
943g of water
69% RDA of fiber (26g)
3g protein
15% B1
25% B2
6% Niacin (B3)
13% B5
34% B6
20% Vitamin K1
13% Vitamin E
20% Vitamin A
65% Vitamin C
7% Calcium
33% Copper
15% Magnesium
16% Iron
17% Manganese
25% Potassium (this is huge)
17% Phosphorous
8% Folate

And this is me picking a single fruit, and a not even a great one, nutritionally, at that. If I mixed in a combination of fruits that matched the ~550 calories of gummi bears, the difference in nutrients would be staggering. Using a mixture of 1 medium apple, 1 medium banana, 1 cup of orange juice, 1 cup of mixed berries, half a mango, and half a pear, it increases the overall nutrient count by 50-100% compared to the apples I used above.

Fruits are good for you, and along with dairy consumption, are one of the few defining differences in the composition of diets when comparing lean and obese populations. Yes, vegetables and organ meats are nutrient dense in comparison, but they don't taste nearly as fucking good, aren't nearly as accessible, and require way more preparation to taste their best.

And carbohydrates are useful as fuck, considering they provide energy that is required to provide your most metabolically active systems - namely the brain, heart, kidneys, active muscle, and digestive system - with their ideal substrates (glucose, fructose, lactate). And there ain't nothing wrong getting those carbs from fruit.

Apples skins have Quercertin which improves lung function, and helps memory and fights brain tissue damage found in Alzheimers patients. Also triterpenoids which fight cancer, and ursolic acid which is also important.

Bananas have loads of potassium and other IMPORTANT micronutrients.

Blueberries are full of micronutrients and antioxidants.

Grapes contain Reversatrol which has incredible health properties.

There are SERIOUS health benefits from them, much of which you can only derive from fruit.

Of course vegetables are amazing for you but...

Fruits=Good.

This!!!

Natural plant foods have so many compounds in them that aren't listed by FDA required nutritional labelling. Scientists discover new compounds in routinely consumed plants all the time, and we are just coming to understand the effects of all these new compounds.

This!!!

Natural plant foods have so many compounds in them that aren't listed by FDA required nutritional labelling. Scientists discover new compounds in routinely consumed plants all the time, and we are just coming to understand the effects of all these new compounds.

This!

Too much sweet snacks or food are not good for teeth. Sugar is good appetizer but eating too much is bad to people.

Where is the supporting data or well conducted studies for this statement.

Are you fucking joking? Do you want proof that oxygen is necessary for life as well?

Christ and this guy sells nutri products.

Ps: Lustig, NY Times

Last edited:

You cherry picked an extremely highly sugary fruit and probably dried fruit in your bullshit example. Five dates? What size? What weight?

A date palm is 75% sugar... Our ancestor monkeys did not grow up in Iraq and did not eat dates. A banana is 12% sugar.

What?

1 medium (182g) apple-
19g sugar.

1 cup (92g) grape-
15g sugar.

1 medium (118g) banana-
14g sugar.

15g sugar.

Blah blah blah.

19g sugar.

So 15% sugar is not relatively tiny? As fucking compared to 100% sugar in refined sugar?

Homie, I don't eat fruit, I eat veggies but my kid doesn't get gummie Bears, he gets 90% chocolate and bananas and grapes.

Are you fucking joking? Do you want proof that oxygen is necessary for life as well?

Christ and this guy sells nutri products.

Ps: Lustig, NY Times

GTFO with a Lustig reference, any credibility you had a shot at went out the window with that. That quack has been debunked enough, with great precision by Alan Aragon specifically.

Back