Why is sugar bad?

He's wondering whether there is a causal path from sugar to bad health that does not involve excess calories, as is (was?) so often insinuated here and elsewhere.

He's wondering whether there is a causal path from sugar to bad health that does not involve excess calories, as is (was?) so often insinuated here and elsewhere.

bingo

English isn't my native language, so sometimes it's kinda hard to lay out my question correctly.

So speak Polish. Somebody's bound to figure it out.

So speak Polish. Somebody's bound to figure it out.

tumblr_n3votkJwuC1s4yfn5o1_500.gif

Empty calories.

Increases insulin resistance which can cause cancer and heart disease.

Empty calories.

The bacteria of arterial and dental plaque feed on sugar, the more sugar, the more plaque.

Empty calories.

And fructose the most common added sugar is the more unhealthy option as it requires the liver to process.

You can eat as much sugar as you want. The problem is it is empty calories. Sometimes sugar can help you get that last bit of quick energy to finish a long shift or if you are feeling low glycemic. Other than that, though, I don't see anymore redeeming qualities.

Is bad if after workout you get some little sugar with your whole meal?

And fructose the most common added sugar is the more unhealthy option as it requires the liver to process.

Given that we are evolved from fruit eating primates and so have been eating fruit since before we were even recognisably human and ever since, I find I hard to believe that fructose is a particular problem for us.

Empty calories.

Increases insulin resistance which can cause cancer and heart disease.

Empty calories.

The bacteria of arterial and dental plaque feed on sugar, the more sugar, the more plaque.

Empty calories.

All fear mongering fallacies and psuedoscience. Go back to naturalnews.com

All fear mongering fallacies and psuedoscience. Go back to naturalnews.com

Elevated blood sugar and GI definitely increases insulin resistance, atherosclerosis, and feeds dental plaque. Fructose digestion takes place without use of the pancreas, in the liver, which when taken in, beyond moderation, is directly related to belly fat, and a fatty liver.

Almost all of the true risks related to sugar consumption is derived from excessive intake... although dental plaque, a major cause of dental disease, grows quicker with just one small sugar binge... this is easily tested and proven.

I am not sure about naturalnews.com, or what the relation it has to your misdirected commentary, but added sugars and high fructose has no regular place in an athletes diet.

We all cheat, I have a whiskey and tonic every few weeks, or one of my grandfather's chocolate cookies... some people smoke a joint at a party...

Elevated blood sugar and GI definitely increases insulin resistance, atherosclerosis, and feeds dental plaque. Fructose digestion takes place without use of the pancreas, in the liver, which when taken in, beyond moderation, is directly related to belly fat, and a fatty liver.

Almost all of the true risks related to sugar consumption is derived from excessive intake... although dental plaque, a major cause of dental disease, grows quicker with just one small sugar binge... this is easily tested and proven.

I am not sure about naturalnews.com, or what the relation it has to your misdirected commentary, but added sugars and high fructose has no regular place in an athletes diet.

We all cheat, I have a whiskey and tonic every few weeks, or one of my grandfather's chocolate cookies... some people smoke a joint at a party...

Your blanket statements without regard to context and dosage are irresponsible.

It's probably was discussed somewhere on the forum already, but i coulnd't find it.

So, why exactly is sugar bad? I understand that refined sugar doesn't have any nutritional value, but what's the reason everyone is bashing on it so much? I understand that it's very easy to overeat and gain weight eating a lot ot sweets such as candy, chocolate bars, cakes etc. mainly because they're very tasty and it's easy very easy to overeat it but again, the problem why people gain weight is not because of sugar, but because of overeating.

Sugar is not bad. The sugar your referring to is 50%glucose50%fructose . In large quantities fructose is not so great for you. You are correct in that it is easily over eatin because of how good it tastes and how not so filling it is. That in my opinion is exactly where the problem is. You mentioned gaining weight from sugar which is extremely easy for the body to do and store it (liver/muscle) but that is it. The process of what i think your talking about is where carbs get stored as fat .? That rarely acures in humans and when it does its slowwwwwwwly and a rate of only a couple grams (remember a pound is 453 grams). The only way for that to take place would be days on days of over eating carbs past your daily calorie expenditure.

BUUUUUT foods like you mention ( candy, chocolate bars, cakes ) are high in both sugar and fat . When your in a caloric deficit it doesnt really matter because your "burning" all the energy your giving it . But when your in a caloric surplus your body will "burn" the carbs and store the fats . That Which leads to being over weight and thats when all the problems occur .

Sugar is not bad. The sugar your referring to is 50%glucose50%fructose . In large quantities fructose is not so great for you. You are correct in that it is easily over eatin because of how good it tastes and how not so filling it is. That in my opinion is exactly where the problem is. You mentioned gaining weight from sugar which is extremely easy for the body to do and store it (liver/muscle) but that is it. The process of what i think your talking about is where carbs get stored as fat .? That rarely acures in humans and when it does its slowwwwwwwly and a rate of only a couple grams (remember a pound is 453 grams). The only way for that to take place would be days on days of over eating carbs past your daily calorie expenditure.

BUUUUUT foods like you mention ( candy, chocolate bars, cakes ) are high in both sugar and fat . When your in a caloric deficit it doesnt really matter because your "burning" all the energy your giving it . But when your in a caloric surplus your body will "burn" the carbs and store the fats . That Which leads to being over weight and thats when all the problems occur .

SO I can eat tons of carbs but not much sugar..

You're right, sugar doesn't make you fat. Carbohydrates and fats are too different things. But, some sweets and sugary foods contain a LOT of calories. By consuming too much calories, your body never gets the chance to burn off fat.

Never ever discuss diet and food.

You think fat makes you fat?

And carbs don't?

It's probably was discussed somewhere on the forum already, but i coulnd't find it.

So, why exactly is sugar bad? I understand that refined sugar doesn't have any nutritional value, but what's the reason everyone is bashing on it so much? I understand that it's very easy to overeat and gain weight eating a lot ot sweets such as candy, chocolate bars, cakes etc. mainly because they're very tasty and it's easy very easy to overeat it but again, the problem why people gain weight is not because of sugar, but because of overeating.

Refined sugar is the crack cocaine of food. Cheap, nasty, addictive and fucks you up. You might as well defend crack as being fine if you use it in moderate amounts. As far as overeating is concerned, sugar has such a calorie value that you can overeat easily.

Given that we are evolved from fruit eating primates and so have been eating fruit since before we were even recognisably human and ever since, I find I hard to believe that fructose is a particular problem for us.

Fructose-glucose syrup is something different and its put into just about everything in the US (say Coke). I refuse to eat anything with it in its ingredients.

Its utter shit. Our ancestors didn't grow up eating highly refined sugar crap in limitless amounts, if they had access to it, they'd have died out. Utterly unnatural.

Fruit has a relatively tiny amount of fructose.

You can eat as much sugar as you want. The problem is it is empty calories. Sometimes sugar can help you get that last bit of quick energy to finish a long shift or if you are feeling low glycemic. Other than that, though, I don't see anymore redeeming qualities.

taste

Back