Why is sportsmanship in wrestling so very poor

Can someone provide a link to the wrestling at the commenwealth the bbc would rather show lawn bowls than a proper sport, dykun wins gold and all they talk about is the silvers and bronze.

metcalf.jpg

Just my opinion. But I don't think that builds mental toughness. To me that's just building insecurity and an inferiority complex. Your afraid lose because losing means your worthless and you will be shunned by everyone that "cares" about you. Thats bs to me. You get on the mat, do the work and if your opponent is a better wrestler/bjj or whatever then you take the loss like a man. Not like a 4 year old that dropped his ice cream.

Mental toughness is being able to look yourself in the mirror and accept who and what you are. If you don't like it man up and do the work to change it. Its not being so scared of being ostracized that you'll do anyting to continue to be accepted by your peers.

Well said!!

:rolleyes:

People are just agreeing how hyper competitive American wrestlers are. For good reason, there's a reason why we dominant the FS Wrestling globally.

Dominate? You're kidding surely? This isn't the 80's/early 90's. The US have 3 golds in a decade from the worlds/olympics, compared to 31 (iirc) from the Russians - in fact the Russians have 5 guys who in that same time period individually won as many or more golds as the US have collectively.

Dominate? You're kidding surely? This isn't the 80's/early 90's. The US have 3 golds in a decade from the worlds/olympics, compared to 31 (iirc) from the Russians - in fact the Russians have 5 guys who in that same time period individually won as many or more golds as the US have collectively.

Sanderson, Cejudo, and who is the third?

I always show respect, but I guess it's because of Karate. My coach yells at me because I don't have any facial expression when I'm on the mat.

this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard

i would sue the shit out of that school if they left my kid somewhere like that

Annnnd then your kid would be permanently shunned, at least

edit: Have to say i'm shocked about this thread. Amazing to see that even grapplers consider most wrestlers violent competitive selfish meatheads. I didn't know the scene in the USA was so bad.

I was about to go on a huge rant but this sums it up nicely.

For any one else reading this thread, the guys saying shit like leaving kids behind or the building mental toughness shit is plain retarded and the wrestling community is NOTHING like that. In HS it's a tradition that you shake the other coaches hand win or lose and shake your opponents hand.

In my Freshman year I got pinned in a minute and threw my headgear on the ground in frustration, I got a point taken away from our team. The other coach shook my hand any way and told me to practice harder. The other team never lost a dual meet in the 4 years I wrestled.

The wrestling community is incredibly friendly, and if you brought this shit to the mat forums they would call you an idiot.

Sanderson, Cejudo, and who is the third?

That would be none other than the legendary Brandon Slay.

Annnnd then your kid would be permanently shunned, at least

Get the fuck out, wrestling teams are nothing like that.

I seriously doubt you wrestled on a team and if you have than you just had a shitty coach. Team work was always stressed when I wrestled and still is.

The wrestling community is incredibly friendly, and if you brought this shit to the mat forums they would call you an idiot.

I absolutely agree with this statement. It's a hardnosed sport, but how often do you hear about a wrestling match or tournament where two competitors got into a fist fight, LET ALONE (almost never) an all out brawl (never)?? Now compare that to football, basketball, baseball and soccer, where fights and brawls alike are common place.

TS, maybe the problem isn't wrestlers, but Australian wrestlers. Come to the States and learn how real wrestlers conduct themselves. Metcalf notwithstanding :icon_chee

I absolutely agree with this statement. It's a hardnosed sport, but how often do you hear about a wrestling match or tournament where two competitors got into a fist fight, LET ALONE (almost never) an all out brawl (never)?? Now compare that to football, basketball, baseball and soccer, where fights and brawls alike are common place.

TS, maybe the problem isn't wrestlers, but Australian wrestlers. Come to the States and learn how real wrestlers conduct themselves. Metcalf notwithstanding :icon_chee

sorta like the distinction between soccer and rugby:)

soccer a sport for gentlemen played by hooligans
rubgy a sport for hooligans played by gentlemen

I mean most of the horror stories with kids and sports comes from gymnastics and figure skating:D

hey who's that guy in your av? he looks like a total badass.

hey who's that guy in your av? he looks like a total badass.

Funny, cause he is the same guy in your av, great minds think alike huh?

Any way I totally agree about never seeing fist fights in wrestling, the only brawl I have witnessed in wrestling was an important match at the world championships and that was an isolated incident.

Never have seen or heard of a fist fight on the HS level or College unlike other HS sports.

Funny how wrestling is an individual sport and yet the team work is much better than team sports like football, soccer, or basketball.

There are ass holes in every sport now let this thread die a quick and painful death.

Funny, cause he is the same guy in your av, great minds think alike huh?

Any way I totally agree about never seeing fist fights in wrestling, the only brawl I have witnessed in wrestling was an important match at the world championships and that was an isolated incident.

Never have seen or heard of a fist fight on the HS level or College unlike other HS sports.

Funny how wrestling is an individual sport and yet the team work is much better than team sports like football, soccer, or basketball.

There are ass holes in every sport now let this thread die a quick and painful death.

no doubt.

this thread sucks ass.

some guy starts a thread saying wrestlers are poor sports and everyone just chimes in "oh yeah, it's because...." when it couldn't be farther from the truth in the first place.

Come on man, it's the WORLDS. these guys had to pass the WORLD TEAM TRIALS in their respective countries, be the best in their weight class, train their ass off like 3hrs a day 6 days a week leading up to the tournament. Imagine how pissed off you'd be if you lost the biggest match of your life, that you've been working your ass off for, beat all the other guys in your weight class at your country's trials , all the while knowing there's a chance next year that someone younger, fitter and hungrier than you can take your spot on the world team at any moment. The Mundials is the b-league compared to the wrestling worlds. I'd rather see genuine competitive hatred than phony hugging sportsmanship.

no doubt.

this thread sucks ass.

some guy starts a thread saying wrestlers are poor sports and everyone just chimes in "oh yeah, it's because...." when it couldn't be farther from the truth in the first place.

MOST chiming in never wrestled or been around a wrestling team. If they had they would not have the opinion they have. Obviously some coaches/teams or people WILL indeed fall into this category but this is certainly not the norm.

:rolleyes:

People are just agreeing how hyper competitive American wrestlers are. For good reason, there's a reason why we dominant the FS Wrestling globally.

WTF are you smoking?? America gets dominated globally.

That would be none other than the legendary Brandon Slay.

Get the fuck out, wrestling teams are nothing like that.

I seriously doubt you wrestled on a team and if you have than you just had a shitty coach. Team work was always stressed when I wrestled and still is.

aaaaah i'm a turd for not knowing that. Someone else said Bill Zadick but I knew he never won olympic gold. Watched a video of Gable prior to the worlds and he said Mike Zadick was looking beastly

Back