Why is sport jiu jitsu...

Reaping only deals with the outside leg going across, as it bends the knee. You can throw your inside leg over and belly down and should not have an problems in any tournament that allows straight foot locks. In No-Gi they usually do not care.

^^^^
no it's my outside leg.
So keeping my outside foot on the hip and throwing the inside leg over is A-OK?

FWIW: I've been a ref at the last 4 Pan Ams and have competed in every Pan Ams since 1999. For as long as I started paying attention to such things, they've had a rules meeting/seminar the day before the Pan Ams where the legality/illegality of leglocks (and everything else) has always been clearly explained.

Reaping of the leg on a straight achilles has been illegal as long as I can remember. It is not the referee's job to explain the rules during the competition. The coaches should attend the rules meetings and inform their students.

I have DQ'ed blue belts and purple belts for doing illegal footlocks, kneebars, etc. and it had northing to do with anyone's country of origin or BJJ team.

IIRC, kneebars used to be legal for belts below brown, but they had A LOT of knee injuries in Brazil and the decided to restrict them to brown and black.

Regarding the general issue of BJJ and leglocks: It is a generalization to say they are not taught in BJJ academies. I teach them in mine and always explain to my students that some are not legal in all tournaments and they need to know the rules before they compete so they don't get DQ'ed. Also, I explain that even if certain leglocks are illegal in certain competitions, it is still important for them to learn them. Finally, we compete in a lot of no-gi competitions and more leglocks are allowed there.

FWIW: I've been a ref at the last 4 Pan Ams and have competed in every Pan Ams since 1999. For as long as I started paying attention to such things, they've had a rules meeting/seminar the day before the Pan Ams where the legality/illegality of leglocks (and everything else) has always been clearly explained.

Reaping of the leg on a straight achilles has been illegal as long as I can remember. It is not the referee's job to explain the rules during the competition. The coaches should attend the rules meetings and inform their students.

I have DQ'ed blue belts and purple belts for doing illegal footlocks, kneebars, etc. and it had northing to do with anyone's country of origin or BJJ team.

IIRC, kneebars used to be legal for belts below brown, but they had A LOT of knee injuries in Brazil and the decided to restrict them to brown and black.

Regarding the general issue of BJJ and leglocks: It is a generalization to say they are not taught in BJJ academies. I teach them in mine and always explain to my students that some are not legal in all tournaments and they need to know the rules before they compete so they don't get DQ'ed. Also, I explain that even if certain leglocks are illegal in certain competitions, it is still important for them to learn them. Finally, we compete in a lot of no-gi competitions and more leglocks are allowed there.

Good post. But come on... all the ACAI love? All the trips to Brazil? You may not be Brazilian, but you wish you were! Therefore, you're automatically biased for Brazilians!!! ;-)

Unlike an armbar or a choke, there isn't a slow progression of pain in leg locks. You either got it, or you're tapping like crazy. You can teach a noob how to do a kneebar in one day, but it'll take him months of training to know how to defend and escape from one. Unless you can defend yourself from a guy doing one on you, you shouldn't be doing them in competition.

Btw that is where the foot should be anyway. It is the best place for it when you attempt an Achilles lock.

I disagree. My personal favorite is in the crook of the knee.
ach_jpg.jpg

I usually just throw the leg, then squeeze my knees together as i belly down. this usually brings both my ankles either into their hips or just below

throw the inside over use it to roll belly down and look out the back, you'll get a tap and no DQ

my man
thanks for the tips
haha if i go for one at a CBJJ comp, I hope you're reffing

I don't see it there either. But they basically have this rule for safety reasons. Because the only feasible way for your opponent to escape from that position is to reverse heelhook your leg ... either as the real submission (which will blow the knee up incredibly fast) or just by cranking the leg away from them, not trying for the submission (which is also likely to blow the knee up).

Either way, it's an incredibly unsafe position for your leg to be in.

Wait, so you get DQ'd for putting YOURSELF in a dangerous position? I find that a bit weird. Just because your opponent's only escape is to do illegal moves on you shouldn't make you DQ'd, IMO. If I have someone in a tight triangle, maybe his only escape is to slam me or bite my balls...pretty dangerous for me, but I shouldn't get DQ'd for it.

My view is that there are illegal subs - as long as your submission can't be construed as an illegal sub, then it should be fine. If my straight ankle lock puts no pressure on the opponent's knee nor can be construed as such, why shouldn't it be legal?

I think the rules start falling down the slippery slope when you can't do things that might be dangerous or might lead to an illegal submission, but isn't actually an illegal submission itself.

I think it's silly to not teach leglocks. Where I train, and yes it is a bjj school, we teach leglocks, because we don't train much for sport competition. I think it's silly that a modern grappling art like bjj, which has incorporated several different techniques from different styles to become what it is today, is in the business of neglecting submissions. For some reason a lot of people in bjj frown upon leglocks, and imo they are just as important to learn as other submissions.

a good bjj school will use leg locks. most of the schools i've been to have taught them.

yeah my school allow them until purple, or in no-gi and when we do open mat i often see them available by the lower level guys.. we arent allowed to do slicers either :/

I disagree. My personal favorite is in the crook of the knee.
ach_jpg.jpg

This is a great position for leglocks, though you can't always get it. Even better I think is to triangle your foot under your middle leg, and use the middle leg foot to press in the crook. Whenever you go over the leg, though, you have to either have your foot pressing in the crook or triangle under your other leg. Otherwise you have a "reap," which is both illegal and exposes you to horrible counters.

Another great position for the achilles is the half boston crab, going the other way.

These days I have become a *huge* fan of the cross-body ankle lock/reverse heelhook combo. It's a beautiful thing.

This is one reason why I don't like heelhooks that much when you are training ... there's so much to do with the achilles, and it helps your game so much to work on it, why go for the atom bomb heelhook to start?

Somebody just brought up the issue of calf/bicep slicers... I have a question:

Why does BJJ disregard, downplay, or altogether ban bicep slicers and calf crushers? Is it because they're believed to be "too dangerous" to train, or for the exact opposite reason in that they're believed to be "low percentage" submissions? I've been told it's because they're "useless" by a pretty accomplished BJJ guy I often see at my gym... but he also said "catch is for ***gots and is totally worthless" (word for word) so I'm not sure he's such a good source, haha.

Like, if they're "low percentage," why bar them in competition? Can anyone help me out here?

Back