why is soccer so weird?

Ok, man, I'll take your word for your own case, though quite often on both Sherdog and the internet that cannot be taken for given.

If I'm serious, I don't actually think that pro fighters are neccessarily as commited full time as the best pro soccer or football players, simply because fighters only need to perform at their best 1-4 times a year and so can have periods where they don't work as intensely (and this is why we see some fighters get out of shape).

When I said I knew football players who played at a good level in my country, I meant American football players - I've known a couple of guys who played in the top youth division here, though that is probably nowhere near NFL as Amfoot is a niche thing here. Still, those guys did not have anything like the commitment or toughness of the top fighters I've known (and I've known some pretty good guys in Kyukushin and Shotokan). Nor did they face the obstacles in terms of nerves and physical preparation that the martial artists did.

I'll go ahead and believe that NFL players are tough and imposing physically and in prime condition for what they do (though I'm still not convinced that 5 minutes of activity is the pinnacle of human physical achievement) - but I just don't believe that they go through anything like what a martial artist goes through before and during a fight.

The NFL is brutal. To the point where we have players shooting themselves in the heart so their brain can be studied. And those 9 to 10 second bursts of energy are super draining on guys. And during the 'break' between plays they are all communicating, lining up and physically holding a strict pose. Top 100M sprinters go all out for under 10 seconds. Are they pussies too? And could they go all out sprinting over and over with 45 second breaks in between?

The NFL is brutal. To the point where we have players shooting themselves in the heart so their brain can be studied. And those 9 to 10 second bursts of energy are super draining on guys. And during the 'break' between plays they are all communicating, lining up and physically holding a strict pose. Top 100M sprinters go all out for under 10 seconds. Are they pussies too? And could they go all out sprinting over and over with 45 second breaks in between?

Never said the NFL guys were pussies... but as a karate guy I laugh at the idea that lining up or "holding a strict pose" counts as physically taxing. Try a Sunday afternoon with my sensei, buddeh.

Good man/woman. Their parents are lucky to have you coach them honour and competitive spirit. The win at all costs, disrespect yourself and others mentality of world football is embarrassing. A real example of money totally twisting shit and infecting the amateur game as well. I think it's popularity as a sport means players emulate their hero's more maybe.

lol, I play soccer forever and there is a culture problem. My competitive and HS teams were full of assholes. We played hard, but we also played dirty. There was zero honor.

Never said the NFL guys were pussies... but as a karate guy I laugh at the idea that lining up or "holding a strict pose" counts as physically taxing. Try a Sunday afternoon with my sensei, buddeh.

Go to a track and run 100M all out. Then play chess for 45 seconds, then turn around and run another full 100M sprint at 100%. Repeat this for 10 minutes to simulate a 10 minute drive in football.

And your sensei couldn't even hang for a few minutes of my sprint workouts for track.

Go to a track and run 100M all out. Then play chess for 45 seconds, then turn around and run another full 100M sprint at 100%. Repeat this for 10 minutes to simulate a 10 minute drive in football.

And your sensei couldn't even hang for a few minutes of my sprint workouts for track.

and you couldn't run a single meter after he was finished with ya, buddeh.

Still laughing at you yanks. Your football sucks (so does soccer)

Go watch Aussie rules football for a game without 40 second breaks, no padding and actual skill. Americans too stuck up their own ass to look at other sports

"Football is more mainly than MMA" - whichever of you goofs said that you are my favourite sherbro. What a dunce hahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaha

Back