why is soccer so weird?

anigif_enhanced-buzz-30864-1385487674-9.gif

giphy.gif

soccer-dive-gifs.gif

1439228706_funny_soccer_dive.gif

The one in the top picture is hilarious. He actually caught air when he dived. His mom and dad must be so proud.

I never expected that this thread would become a dick measuring contest.lol

I have mad respect for athletes in every sport . I thought about going out for soccer in high school but I was a fatass back then .american football is my Favorite sport but it has been hard to follow the NFL lately because my team , the Dallas cowboys haven' t been very good recently.I'd like to try rugby but I'm old and I heard spinal fractures are a common injury .

I think the whole soccer mom fad of the late '90s might have given soccer a negative image

I respect the skills to play soccer but as far as competition entertainment it’s beyond boring to me... goes in the same category as baseball , hockey.

Fun to play, horrible to watch.

I actually used to watch soccer, baseball , golf to help me fall asleep..
100% I stop drinking beer and soccer is now boring. Only little watching Real Madrid because last 10 years big fun Luka Modric but he is old now and soon will retire so now boxing and MMA I love training and watch

You actually have it backwards and I like pretty much all sports.

I get it, if your ADD obsessed as I thnk most N.Americans are you will struggle with soccer as it does not have a lot of meaningless scoring. I love the NBA but lets be real and admit all but the last 20 mintues of the game, in most games does not matter or mean a single thing. There is only 20 minutes at the end that has any meaning. But boy, you get a lot of meaningless scorring for those that need flashy lights and stuff to keep their attention.

A soccer match can easily end 1 nill, so, if your into it every single drive has meaning and that 'don't blink' factor like you are waiting for the KO shot.

But if you need the flashy lights and noise maker over meaningless scoring, I get it.

100%. A friend of mine said something similar recently about how he can't get into basketball because there just never seems to be any big, important or exciting moments. There at least used to be some tension in basketball, but now that defense is pretty much a non-factor these days, I find it hard to get into a game where a team scores 150 points.

Soccer is great purely because it's got a simple ruleset, doesn't select out for size, and you get what you pay for: a 90 minute game, that actually lasts 90 minutes with maybe 5 min extra (unless extra-time) where (unless you get an anomaly of a blowout game) every minute counts... but yet, soccer is the weird sport smh.

I grew up playing hockey in Canada, eventually at high level in my teens in the late 90's and i haven't seen a game for years. I cant stand hockey anymore and love soccer (football).

I find American Football boring as fuck, way too many breaks. I know there are amazing athletes who play but the machismo associated with it doesn't impress me.

I prefer combat sports and the real football. Thanks

I grew up playing hockey in Canada, eventually at high level in my teens in the late 90's and i haven't seen a game for years. I cant stand hockey anymore and love soccer (football).

I find American Football boring as fuck, way too many breaks. I know there are amazing athletes who play but the machismo associated with it doesn't impress me.

I prefer combat sports and the real football. Thanks

What's funny is that some American football fans claim how "manly" A.football is without realizing that at the end of the day is grown men trying to get a ball to the end of the field.

Btw, I enjoy bits of A.football here and there. It's just the pro machismo of some of its fans that's annoying.

What's funny is that some American football fans claim how "manly" A.football is without realizing that at the end of the day is grown men trying to get a ball to the end of the field.

Btw, I enjoy bits of A.football here and there. It's just the pro machismo of some of its fans that's annoying.

Attachments

• Vinnie-Jones-Gazza.jpg
    Vinnie-Jones-Gazza.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 4
  • Football-Wimbledon-v-Newcastle-United-Division-1.jpg
    Football-Wimbledon-v-Newcastle-United-Division-1.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 3
  • s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 3
Why don't Americans know about rugby league? I've always thought if they like gridiron then league would be popular too.
Which is tougher, union or league? I've always thought union is rougher but league is tougher.

Football is fantastic, i've supported Man Utd since the sixties. I do admit there are some boring games lately though, United are shit at the moment because of the stupid manager.
It would be good to show some really exciting end to end games to people who thing football is crap.
I hate it when people say a game can end nil nil but be considered a good game, they don't get it. They're used to games with lots of scoring and points, a goal or basket means little if you know there will be many, many more before the game ends.
A goal in football is great because they are not easy to get.

American football is gay. Call themselve athletes apparently. Play the ball then everything stops! It's so easy. No way those guys could play league or union or afl.

lol at any fan of a sport where they kick the ball back and forth 99% of the game calling any other sport boring. I guess its the way they pass it and almost score is exciting.

American football and baseball are far too slow, why can't Americans see that? There is so much downtime where they're not playing. Why would anyone find that entertaining?
Footballers pass back and forth sometimes coz their trying to see a gap to go forward and attack, simple. It isn't easy, that's why a single goal means so much.

I play RT, every play is either me denying the biggest most athletic guy on the field or me trying to run him or smaller people over. Sometimes I'm protecting my Q, other times I'm smashing a hole for my RB. I stand shoulder to shoulder with my line and we coordinate ourselves to act as one unit.

What I do is about people, violence, competition. It's very rare that a ball is involved directly. It's not the ball that's important, but what it represents, what it means and what that makes us do.

That is quite manly imo.

It's your lack of knowledge of the game that's causing you to make wildly inaccurate assumptions, I think.

Every rep on the line is a max effort 1 rep max, full body explosive wrestle with another monster for an average of 9 seconds. Then with less than 30 seconds to recover you don't again, and again, and again, with jogging during your 'rest'. All this while being way over 100 kilos.

It is a whole field of battles, that's part of what's so compelling, there is so much to watch. It is absolutely you vs a monster looking to pound your head into the dirt.

Their weird veneration is because they understand what the football players go through. Not all football players, there are positions that require much less toughness.

With regards to soccer, it is very very easy to think of as played by pussies. They cry regularly and the beautiful part of the game is hard to appreciate.

A 9 second wrestle isn't anything special. You idolize these guys because you are told to idolize them by your media, simple as that. The facts are the facts: a 3 hour game has 11 minutes of playing time divided between 2 lineups. Meanwhile, you sit like zombies through 100 goddamn commercials, drinking soda and eating chips. It's pathetic, man.

A 9 second wrestle isn't anything special. You idolize these guys because you are told to idolize them by your media, simple as that. The facts are the facts: a 3 hour game has 11 minutes of playing time divided between 2 lineups. Meanwhile, you sit like zombies through 100 goddamn commercials, drinking soda and eating chips. It's pathetic, man.

Repeated 9 seconds of explosive max effort against a beast is.

I have grown up in England and Europe, I don't idolise the soccer players who are represented in our media.

I don't sit like a zombie, I play the game. I've lost several kilos in weight during a single game, you don't get that from relaxing buddy.

You got any other good points?

Back