Why is Romero still a MW?

The Legendary Scarface

Record since UFC 266 : 51-34
@Black
Reaction score
Makes no sense really.

1 - Its obviously a rough cut for him and he's missed weight a few times now.

2 - He's had an amazing run at MW and already had a couple Title Shots and while I think he won that 2nd Whittaker fight, he still took the L. There's nothing left for him at MW.

3 - The most important reason IMO...
LHW is a shallow enough division and Romero is a big enough draw that if he got a couple wins , he would be given a TS against Jones IMO. That would be a superfight and plus he murks most guys at LHW so its the perfect move for him right now. More opportunity.

Thoughts?

That's where he's contracted to fight?

Last edited:
That's where he's contacted to fight?
fxUJ.gif

Fun fact, his last middleweight win was at UFC 205 in 2016.

...but folks were saying to me Stylebender (who by the way worked his ass out to get where he's at) didn't deserve top 5 entry or some dumb shit.

If Yoel loses to Natty Paul, I'd assume he's done with 185.

...but folks were saying to me Stylebender (who by the way worked his ass out to get where he's at) didn't deserve top 5 entry or some dumb shit.

Natty Paul.

wink-wink-37550916.png

I think the only time he missed weight with a full camp was against Whittaker the second time - I know he missed against Rockhold, but that was short notice. I could be wrong, but I think his weight troubles only started recently. I'd say he is headed to LHW in the near future. Even with his age-defying physique and athletic ability, age will make it harder for him to cut the extra weight. Plus I think he started his career as a LHW anyway.

It's weird that he still chooses to cut down to a place that is as hard to get to as it is. And with him having lost twice to the current champion. It puts him in a FranklinDCArlovski of a place. Only saving grace is that I think it is considered by many, that he won the 2nd fight against Bobby Knucks... Maybe that counts for something

But then . . . Anyone see him getting the better of Jones?

Yoel technically never missed weight. Any non-noob knows this.
Yoel has no business going to 205, he will be by far the smallest guy there, even if he makes it to Jones, he will give out 5 feet reach advantage.
Yoel is more suited to 170, if he loses some muscles.
But he is 42 and its time to finish that career.

P.S he's bigger than Jones in one area only. And its all that matters, ask the girls.
dab5be6dc5a34b30c4681768fae4293d.jpg

It makes zero sense for him to fight for the belt without having fought romero, jacare or weidman. We know he can strike but can he grapple like that? Romero is an effective gatekeeper.

Makes no sense really.

1 - Its obviously a rough cut for him and he's missed weight a few times now.

2 - He's had an amazing run at MW and already had a couple Title Shots and while I think he won that 2nd Whittaker fight, he still took the L. There's nothing left for him at MW.

3 - The most important reason IMO...
LHW is a shallow enough division and Romero is a big enough draw that if he got a couple wins , he would be given a TS against Jones IMO. That would be a superfight and plus he murks most guys at LHW so its the perfect move for him right now. More opportunity.

Thoughts?

Romero Should Consider LHW

...would've been a better headline.

Romero is 42 and he just cashed a fat check.
The dude is a beast but if he loses on Saturday I don't think he should be fighting in any weight class ever again

He can still fight at 186 on Saturday so there's no reason to worry. He made 185.2 in the second Whittaker fight before the commission cut off his extra time early, which Sherdog has no problem with because they hate Yoel of course <45>

Romero and Costa going to touch each other with their hands and explode all over each other. They're going to grab each other and Romero is going to end up on top pounding Costa on the bottom until he's finished and spent. This pounding is going to be so hard that he won't be able to get up again. This fight is going put the cock into human cockfighting.

Back