Why is Rampage such a HUGE Underdog?

How does Rampage get this little respect? He's talked about like he is a burden on MMA fans.

Sherdoggers have always been brutal to this guy. I've gone through "six versions" of Rampage on this site because forum members are so eager to count out Rampage, and rationalize it by saying its a NEW Rampage.

He looked fantastic, arguably his best shape ever, in the last fight he was properly prepared for. Two fights ago.

What you ask for has not happened yet and is probably the #1 beef I have with MMA fans.

You do realize it is possible to accurately assess someone prior to them providing proof of their ability...

Fighters like Renan Barao, Mighty Mouse even JDS were all people who had not beaten anyone of noted worth not so long ago. You think that just because nobody can give you names that he won't beat Rampage?

Some peoples predictions turn out to be accurate, and some fall flat. I think it's a little silly to believe in this case that the prediction is off. There's a very good chance the hungry and vicious up and comer is going to defeat the broken and un-motivated Rampage. I think the odds reflect the risk of the fights outcome.

Rory had no top 10 wins and creamed Penn. Gus had a lackluster list of beaten opponents and decisively defeated Rua. I had money on those fights, and I'll have money on this. If you believe that the archaic Rampage will derail the dangerous up-and-comer, I suggest placing a tidy wager on the fight. +240 is a great way to make some sweet and easy cash... if we're all so very wrong.

I think that you might have misinterpreted my point. I wouldn't take up arms with anyone who opines that Glover will beat Rampage.

I do, however, think that it's a big stretch to argue him as a 2-1 favorite. You made some interesting points about Barao, Johnson, JDS, & Rory.

Did you know that JDS was +700 against Werdum? Looking back, do you think the odds were correct at the time? The point is, typically, up and comers need to prove themselves before earning the role as a big betting favorite.

Allow me to cite your example of comparing Rory to Glover. Below are Glover's best 3 wins over fighters that are currently ranked as LHWs. I also included Rory's best 3 wins pre-BJ to show that Rory had actually done much more to prove himself even at the tender age of 23.

Glover

Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou @ 38th
Kyle Kingsbury @ 72nd
Marcio Cruz @ 76th

Rory

Mike Pyle @ 12th
Jordan Mein @ 21st
Che Mills @ 63rd

Let's not forget that he also owns a win over Nate Diaz as well as a spirited battle against Carlos Condit which showed as a great deal more about his potential against top competition than we've ever seen from Glover.

Still, he was a smaller betting favorite against BJ than Glover is against Jackson in spite of the fact that Jackson is better at LHW than Penn is at WW.

I will have money on Rampage come fight time as I see Rampage as the true favorite even though I acknowledge Glover as a very dangerous competitor.

Idk man, I just see all those idols of mine getting old and losing. Rampage probably will get smacked badly by a hungrier Glover

After Shogun lost to that swede, Idk what to think. Hope I am right, Glover deserves some success and Rampage has already had a lot of it

i know how you feel watching these great fighters former champs as we grew up now just showing up for a paycheck.. heartbreaking :icon_cry2

How does Rampage get this little respect? He's talked about like he is a burden on MMA fans.

Sherdoggers have always been brutal to this guy. I've gone through "six versions" of Rampage on this site because forum members are so eager to count out Rampage, and rationalize it by saying its a NEW Rampage.

He looked fantastic, arguably his best shape ever, in the last fight he was properly prepared for. Two fights ago.

I'm with you man, i dont get it, i really dont.

The odds are right, Glover looked spectacular in his UFC tenure, not against the greatest opposition but rampage has looked like shit for the past 2 maybe even 3 years

he does not care, and will lose a UD, and if he comes in out of shape he will get finished

Some of you people spout the most cliche' dumb things over and over.

Movie Rampage? He did one big movie, years ago. GSP, Rashad, etc...these guys have all been in shitty movies.

He's looked horrible for years. Ok, so he didn't KO Jardine..big deal, he dropped him about three times and kicked his ass. Watch the fight with out Rashad commenting on how effective Jardine running backwards is and you might see that.

He beat Machida...and even if you don't agree with that..Machida was suppose to DESTROY Rampage..another "Fighter X is going to send him into retirement" that never happened.

He beat the breaks off Hamill. "Oh he couldn't even knock out Hamill"...do research people, he had NEVER been KO'd at that point. He had only been finished once with a kick to the body.

He did better vs. Jones than anyone not names Rashad.

He came in Injured (his own dumb ass fault) against Bader and got laid on for the majority of the fight. Bader is the only horrible fight he's had, period. Rahsad held him against the cage, and almost got finished for his troubles.

"He's not motivated, this is his last fight with the UFC and he just wants out"

Ok...think about that for a second. If he truly wants out and he truly thinks he's going to get paid somewhere else...do you think, that he thinks, that the best way to do that is by going into a fight being a stepping stone for some guy who has beat nobody? Not only has he beat nobodys, he's beat nobodys who have never beat anybody. His two wins in the UFC...probably the best opponent either of them have ever beaten is McSweeney and one of them beat the other one.

Seems about right to me. He is a good fighter but hasn't looked that great in his last couple fights.

It's strange just how distant a memory Rampage being a top contender seems, yet he's only actually had one dodgy performance against Bader. Before that he beat Machida, Hamill then put up a comparatively good fight against Jones. He could surprise a lot of people against Texeira.

Some of you people spout the most cliche' dumb things over and over.

Movie Rampage? He did one big movie, years ago. GSP, Rashad, etc...these guys have all been in shitty movies.

He's looked horrible for years. Ok, so he didn't KO Jardine..big deal, he dropped him about three times and kicked his ass. Watch the fight with out Rashad commenting on how effective Jardine running backwards is and you might see that.

He beat Machida...and even if you don't agree with that..Machida was suppose to DESTROY Rampage..another "Fighter X is going to send him into retirement" that never happened.

He beat the breaks off Hamill. "Oh he couldn't even knock out Hamill"...do research people, he had NEVER been KO'd at that point. He had only been finished once with a kick to the body.

He did better vs. Jones than anyone not names Rashad.

He came in Injured (his own dumb ass fault) against Bader and got laid on for the majority of the fight. Bader is the only horrible fight he's had, period. Rahsad held him against the cage, and almost got finished for his troubles.

"He's not motivated, this is his last fight with the UFC and he just wants out"

Ok...think about that for a second. If he truly wants out and he truly thinks he's going to get paid somewhere else...do you think, that he thinks, that the best way to do that is by going into a fight being a stepping stone for some guy who has beat nobody? Not only has he beat nobodys, he's beat nobodys who have never beat anybody. His two wins in the UFC...probably the best opponent either of them have ever beaten is McSweeney and one of them beat the other one.

You're wasting your breath! The 10 year camp that Rampage has setup in the LHW top 10 doesn't seem to matter. I guess we should just sit back & watch Glover (whose best win is over Marvin Eastman) smash Rampage!

Back