Why is ONE using an mma gloves on a Kickboxing and May Thai match?

strebitel86

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I saw the event last night in ONE, a bout between kick boxing bout between Khababez vs. Kryklia and a must Thai bout between Yodsanklai vs. Yusupov.

They are using an mma gloves, why is that?

These are strikers and not mma fighters, their punches can cause a lot of damage compared to mma fighters.

Why are they allowed to fight in mma gloves?

Because that's more appealing to the audience.

Weren't fingerless gloves designed purely to allow grapplers to grapple in MMA while still providing the hands with some protection? Don't see the point of them in kickboxing or boxing. Surely they can make small gloves that cover the fingers, if smaller gloves is what casuals want, or just fully gimmick it up by going bare-knuckle. Getting a bit of a joke all this bare-knuckle, MMA glove stuff.

I really don't see the problem with it. It adds a different element in the ability to slip punches through defenses which alters the game to a degree. It still adds protection towards cuts unlike bare knuckle. I really haven't seen any issues in regards to eye pokes.

They want to help MMA fans cross over I think. Sometimes its cool but if 2 elite guys are matched up Id rather it not be a factor.

How do they decide when to use normal gloves or mma glvoes? And fight for the same belt with boxing gloves and mma gloves. It seems confusing

Did any mma fighters fight in muay thai or kickboxing in One yet?

Yeah I am a bit on the fence on this.

What I would really want to see is stadium MT without the bullshit scoring.

Yeah I am a bit on the fence on this.

What I would really want to see is stadium MT without the bullshit scoring.
When Superbon and Sittichai fought in China in kickboxing even that didn't stop them from keeping with the stadium style of fighting. Its instilled in them from a young age.

Did any mma fighters fight in muay thai or kickboxing in One yet?

No, not really, they've generally stuck to their own sports (why wouldn't they?) the major crossovers going from KB/MT to MMA like Stamp Fairtex.

Their recent Vietnam card was changed to all kickboxing and Muay Thai at short notice due to regulatory reasons so a couple of low level mma fighters had to fight Muay Thai.

However, Sage Northcutt has reiterated his intention to win the KB, MT and MMA belts in ONE, so expect Petrosyan or Regian Eersel so fight Sage sometime soon, once he puts his face back together.

How do they decide when to use normal gloves or mma glvoes? And fight for the same belt with boxing gloves and mma gloves. It seems confusing
Default is MMA gloves, however if any of the fighters prefer not to use MMA gloves then they will use kickboxing gloves.
E.g. Giogio Petrosyan, Nieky Holzken, Lerdsila, some others.

Default is MMA gloves, however if any of the fighters prefer not to use MMA gloves then they will use kickboxing gloves.
E.g. Giogio Petrosyan, Nieky Holzken, Lerdsila, some others.
Do both fighters have to agree? If one agrees and one disagrees do they use mma gloves?

I really don't see the problem with it. It adds a different element in the ability to slip punches through defenses which alters the game to a degree. It still adds protection towards cuts unlike bare knuckle. I really haven't seen any issues in regards to eye pokes.
There has been eye pokes. If they want small gloves they should use something like those bag gloves boxers use. The padding is thin like MMA gloves but they do not expose the fingers. Just a thought.
Do both fighters have to agree? If one agrees and one disagrees do they use mma gloves?
If one of the fighters doesn't want to use MMA gloves, then they will both use KB gloves.
This is my understanding based on what fighters have been saying on social media etc, theres no official word on this policy.

However, Sage Northcutt has reiterated his intention to win the KB, MT and MMA belts in ONE, so expect Petrosyan or Regian Eersel so fight Sage sometime soon, once he puts his face back together.
I'd wager Sage will never fight either of those guys.

They should use the old style stadium gloves from the late 80's and early nineties. The black gloves. they looked much smaller and harder than the gloves they use nowadays. I heard they used to use mainly 6 oz gloves back then. Which would mean they have about the same amount of padding on the knuckles as 4 oz mma gloves.

It's more realistic I guess. You don't have big gloves to hide behind.

Yeah, but I guess the question at that point is, "is it really kickboxing?" If you gave boxers MMA gloves, is it still boxing? Do we still consider bare-knuckle boxers to be legitimate boxing fights? I guess by measuring the rules they are but I still have a problem with it. I guess I'm a purist at heart...

Yeah, but I guess the question at that point is, "is it really kickboxing?" If you gave boxers MMA gloves, is it still boxing? Do we still consider bare-knuckle boxers to be legitimate boxing fights? I guess by measuring the rules they are but I still have a problem with it. I guess I'm a purist at heart...

Boxers already use a wide range of different gloves from shape to weight.

It's the rules that make the bout, not the glove size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back