Why is my heart rate so high?

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
I have decent cardio but my heart rate is always about 65-70. I can run about 7 miles in one hour without being too tired, and train later on in the day. (I know it’s not that good)

Compared to all my peers I have some of the better cardio, some of who are pro fighters. What’s up with that?
Do I need to work my cardio even harder to get a better heart rate? I always wanted to be below 60 but it just seems like an impossibility

You could be stressed and/or breathing funny like taking large forced breaths instead of smooth controlled natural ones

High resting heart rate is a sign of overtraining.

I have decent cardio but my heart rate is always about 65-70. I can run about 7 miles in one hour without being too tired, and train later on in the day. (I know it’s not that good)

Compared to all my peers I have some of the better cardio, some of who are pro fighters. What’s up with that?
Do I need to work my cardio even harder to get a better heart rate? I always wanted to be below 60 but it just seems like an impossibility

Maybe you have the heart of a mouse...........and not a lion.........give up fighting and become a cheese tester......

60 bpm is normal. less than that is common for long distance endurance athletes. 80bpm and above is pre hypertension. anything over 90 is hypertension IIRC.

LISS runs / bike riding possibly rowing too will strengthen your heart by keeping you in a 60%-80% workrate while exercising. When your heart is stronger, it will pump more blood efficiently and your resting heartrate might go down.

Thats my understanding

You could be stressed and/or breathing funny like taking large forced breaths instead of smooth controlled natural ones
I noticed when I do those forced deep breaths it goes even higher lol
High resting heart rate is a sign of overtraining.
I don’t think it’s that, I can be fully recovered or on the verge of overtraining and its almost never 60.

60 bpm is normal. less than that is common for long distance endurance athletes. 80bpm and above is pre hypertension. anything over 90 is hypertension IIRC.

LISS runs / bike riding possibly rowing too will strengthen your heart by keeping you in a 60%-80% workrate while exercising. When your heart is stronger, it will pump more blood efficiently and your resting heartrate might go down.

Thats my understanding
Yeah I think my cardio just isn’t as good as I think it is.
I do a lot of biking, swimming, aerodyne, Jacobs ladder, jump rope, and running when my knees are feeling good. But I definitely have to be more consistent with it.

Not a fan of rowing though, you kind of have to put in a lot of effort otherwise it doesn’t do anything. Not a good exercise imo

Mine is around 64-66

And i got good cardio. So i dont think you should worry

Your cardio seems to be better than mine and my RHR is routinely under 60. Sometimes in the 40’s.

If it’s not overtraining then you definitely need to just breathe naturally while taking the reading.

Either that or make sure you’re truly in a “resting” state.

What's your max heart rate?

There's a few things to consider biscuit mate. Your resting heart rate is not your heart rate when you are not exercising. Well it is, but that's not the way people measure it normally. The reason is, that various factors including whether or not you've eaten, taken any stimulants (sugar, coffee), your breathing, your emotions and psychology will influence your heart rate, and that's a good thing! The heart rate is controlled by the autonomic nervous system, which is in flux during the day, so it's supposed to change to changing demands. That's why there's a way to measure your resting heart rate to try to minimize these factors.

What you need to do is measure your heart rate when you are sitting or laying down and have been for some time. Let yourself relax for 10-15 minutes in calm surroundings and then take your heart rate. Do this maybe 3-4 days in a row and then do an average.

Just to clarify, 65-75 is not THAT high. Genetics play a factor as well and if you are in good shape, and you FEEL good and recovered, that's the most important thing. Don't get too attached to numbers. Mine is probably around 70-90 when I am with other people or out and about, but when I relax and calm down it sits around 50-65. Then again, working out will also have your heart rate higher for a few hours, and depending on the intensity, for over 24 hours. That goes with the whole overtraining thing.

1) Be sure to be rested and relaxed for a while before you take the readings
2) Do them over a few days
3) Be aware that various things can change your heart rate and that it's a good thing that the heart is plastic
4) Don't worry about it

If you insist, then try a little less high intensity, a little more LISS training and take time to relax during the day. Whatever makes YOU feel relaxed and calm, a book, relaxation techniques, thinking about nothing, drawing, so on. Do that for a few weeks to a month and see if it changes anything.

I have decent cardio coming from a football background. (soccer)

My pulse when rested for a few days is 60-64.
My pulse when rested while I had training that day or the previous goes up to 70-74.

Others details that may or not have anything to do with it ( @Sano will know better):
I am one of those guys that overheat during and after a good training session. Specially if it had a "intense" sparring. So i guess adrenaline has something to do with it. And what I mean is that I am in state that i even have problems sleeping that day for example. Even if 6 or more hours have passed since the session. Cold showers wont do shit. Ice packs neither.
And I sweat a lot...

Last edited:
resting heart rate should only be measured right after waking up before standing up.

Fitness trackers often calculate nonsense as rhr like average HR while sleeping...etc.
Its not that relevant but a nonspecific tendency regarding cardio. Mine is 43 and I see it as a loose tendency for progress or a help if and how I should practice.

If I would have a resting HR of 70 I d definitely check blood pressure to be sure everything is fine.

Last edited:
Frampton trying to infight and Jackson trying to work the body at range.

Jacksons hitting the ropes a lot - he's gonna eat more unnecessary punches if he gets stuck there.

Back