Why is Mendes fighting Lentz and not Swanson for a #1 spot?

im surprised someone with a 2011 joindate would ask such a question... there have been much more random fights than this one. at least these guys are both around top 10 in the division and coming off wins.

my guess tho: they dont want mendes fighting for the title just yet. they are giving him tough opponents for the possibility of losing, while punishing guys at the same time. ufc hates guida after maynard fight, and they hate lentz cause he was boring (at first). at least he gets his main card fight finally.... after being like 5-0 at one point. rediculous.

Cub don't want none.
This is a possibility. Cub has literally called out every single person except Mendes (don't blame him, Mendes is a brutal opponent).

This makes things kinda confusing now. Mendes and Pettis are now booked and Cub just beat Poirier now that long ago. Lamas's current streak includes a finish over Cub so theres no way there forcing Lamas to beat/finish the same guy twice on the same exact streak (Lamas will probably get the next shot).

I wonder who in the hell Cub is going to fight now ? (if would of been easy to just make Mendes/Swanson winner fight Lamas/Aldo winner in Q2/3 of 2014).

I think the bottom line is the UFC don't want Lentz fighting for a title. They probably also know if Mendes or Lentz were to fight Cub it would derail a different type of contender.

I think the bottom line is the UFC don't want Lentz fighting for a title. They probably also know if Mendes or Lentz were to fight Cub it would derail a different type of contender.

You are so lost they would not hand out an opportunity to someone they did not want to have it anything can happen. Lentz is not an easy fight for Mendes at all I am going to laugh my ass off when he wins which I think he will.
You do not get 8 wins in the UFC against that level of competition because you suck.

Because why do we have to put two rising stars up against each other so it'll take the loser 2 wins to get back a title contender spot. See ya in 2 years TS I guess.

Theyre afraid of mendes losing to aldo twice, because they are banking on him being the next dominant champ once aldo leaves fw.

Cub is on hold for the TS.

It is likely we will see Cub Vs. Lamas if Aldo's recovery takes too long.

Exactly. It makes no sense! Lamas should get the next title shot and Mendes/Swanson should have a #1 contender fight to challenge the winner of Aldo/Lamas

This would make the most sense.

Still, I'm going to enjoy watching Mendes beat Lentz.

As a huge Mendes fan, I don't mind it. With every fight he gets better. The more experience before a potential Aldo rematch the better. Lentz is no joke either, easily a top 10 opponent.

I don't understand it either.

Cub Swanson has the most impressive streak, IMO. All three top contenders have proven they deserve another title shot in my eyes but the situation is just sucky because Aldo is always out for such a long time between fights.

But a rematch between Cub and and Mendes would have been so amazing and make so much sense :(

I don't understand why fighters can't just get a titleshot after a loss either unless the champ loses to the guy who just beat them. Then people wouldn't get so touchy about pairing two title challengers against each other

Mendes already beat Cub, For one thing.

3 years ago in another promotion.

Now they are both in the same situation again and I think it would be interesting to see how they do in better, improved form...that's the kind of rematch that makes sense if both guys stay relevant

They fought once before and even still, the UFC usually moves a few contenders up within what I would consider slightly different brackets or paths. So instead of one dominant contender emerging every year or so, we get two or three guys on 4-7 fight win streaks who never met each other vying for a shot. Makes more sense to me the way the UFC does it.

Because Lentz is the only one with enough balls to fight him.

BTW. Lentz is a friggn machine at FW.

People blaming or talking down to UFC matchmakers: You idiots need to realize these guys are probably pulling their hair trying to get anyone to fight Mendes.

Top guys are ducking Mendes left and right. Lentz had the balls to actually ask for the match.

If Mendes becomes champ they will quite possibly meet anyway.

Since Aldo won't fight until next year and then be available not sooner than (probably much) later that year I think it's really sad they don't make a rematch, seems like the perfect time and they fought such a long time ago. Wasn't a complete domination either.

I hope he is already the injury replacement, not wishing any injury on Lentz of course. Perhaps just a little cut like Gustaffson had :icon_twis

I'm guessing they don't want to kill a contender? Perhaps they don't want to do a rematch? I think Mendes vs Swanson makes tons of sense right now, too, but oh well. Now i'm wondering who the hell Swanson is going to fight, if anyone.

My guess is Cub fights Elkins on the SB weekend card for insurance if anything.

Back