Why is Mendes fighting Lentz and not Swanson for a #1 spot?

Kemo**

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Lentz hasn't beaten anybody and Mendes has won his last four fights in stunning fashion and has beaten top fighters.

Exactly. It makes no sense! Lamas should get the next title shot and Mendes/Swanson should have a #1 contender fight to challenge the winner of Aldo/Lamas

Had Swanson called out Mendes? It seems like he's called everyone else in the divison out.

No one on this forum would be qualified to answer that question. It doesn't make sense though.

should be another easy W for mendes

Why kill off a contender? 145 needs as many marketable contenders as possible.

Why kill off a contender? 145 needs as many marketable contenders as possible.
There's already 3 vying for a spot now and another will no doubt crop their head out in a fight or two. FW actually needs to kill a contender or two off.

Lentz badmouthed the GOAT so he's being punished

This way is better. Creates lots of options. Let's say Aldo beats Lamas and then decides to move up to 155 (which is a possibility) and vacates the belt you can have a 4 man tourney for the belt between Swanson, Mendes, the BJ/Edgar winner, and Lamas since he shouldn't fall far after losing to the champ.

Or if Aldo beats Lamas (since it clearly seems he's getting the next shot) now Aldo can fight either Mendes or Swanson and the other fights the winner of BJ/Edgar.

Mendes is killing off the grinders of the division. Elkins, Guida, and now Lentz...

Not sure there's anyone it makes sense to. Hope to God this means Lamas is getting the next title shot though.

This way is better. Creates lots of options. Let's say Aldo beats Lamas and then decides to move up to 155 (which is a possibility) and vacates the belt you can have a 4 man tourney for the belt between Swanson, Mendes, the BJ/Edgar winner, and Lamas since he shouldn't fall far after losing to the champ.

Or if Aldo beats Lamas (since it clearly seems he's getting the next shot) now Aldo can fight either Mendes or Swanson and the other fights the winner of BJ/Edgar.

That would be awesome! Featherweight division is so hot right now!

yeah kinda strange. cub looks like a better fight right now

The only thing i can think is...

Aldo is moving to LW but needs a few months off to recover so Thomson got the shot at Pettis, this then leads the way for Lamas vs Swanson 2 for the title, then Mendes after that.

I wonder if they don't expect Aldo to be ready to fight right away so they could be having Lamas vs. Swanson in the meantime with the winner fighting Aldo afterwards.

I'm guessing they don't want to kill a contender? Perhaps they don't want to do a rematch? I think Mendes vs Swanson makes tons of sense right now, too, but oh well. Now i'm wondering who the hell Swanson is going to fight, if anyone.

Back