Why is Matt Serra in the UFC Hall of Fame?

Every " Hall of fame " of just about every sport has been cheapened by having a myriad of athletes that really shouldnt be there. The UFC, obviously, no different.

I can see the Op’s argument, but coming fresh out of a tournament victory to stop a peaked GSP for the title is a big deal, even though his success was short lived.

Serra deserves his spot. Forrest Griffin is in the HoF FFS.

<28>

The UFC HOF is their thing. They put whomever they want into it; all that is needed is to specify a justification for said person. For Serra, it's that he was the first fighter to win both a TUF and UFC championship.

I don't see the problem really, as it's not a universal MMA HOF which would be expected to be as objective as possible.

UFC HOF is different than in other sports like NBA (though they can be lax with it). You have to be at least a 5x all-star to get there (variations to this). Incredibly hard to do, and that's basically a minimum.

UFC HOF now has pioneer and contributor wings, and while Serra is a great trainer and a good coach I'll focus on his fighting career here.

In UFC's version winning a prospect competition, TUF, is big. And winning the UFC title, even with no defenses, is big as well. Being a star and loyal to the company matters as well. So it's not unbiased, but instead basically the "Dana White recognizes you" award.

Yoel Romero never won a UFC title, but he's sure as hell better than Matt Serra. But Serra won the belt by beating GSP, so that adds to UFC's view of checked boxes.

Serra fits UFC's criteria, so he's in. But I wouldn't put him in there, as I'd only put selected All-Time Greats in it. We all know who they are.

Because some random TUF dude finished the goat to become the champipn in a division where everybody pretty much dwarfed him

Serra deserves his spot. Forrest Griffin is in the HoF FFS.

<28>
Can't hate on Forrest. He put the UFC on the map and beat 2 of Prides biggest stars. Bet Wandy is glad he didn't sign on to fight him....but when it comes down to it I'd rather have a loss to Forrest on my record then getting my shit pushed in by Chris Leban.

Because he beat the GOAT and turned him into a wrestler. (I'm a GSP hater)
The real reason is every Champion gets in. One day Sterling will be immortalized in the HOF too.

A dude who made TapOut shirts is in the UFC HoF.
The criteria to get admitted are vague at best.

Reactions: HCS
gif8.gif

We know you just started watching mma so there’s no point in explaining to you kiddo
The OP isn't wrong. One of the moments the old school will remember him most for is being on the wrong end of a spinning back-fist KO.

Can't hate on Forrest. He put the UFC on the map and beat 2 of Prides biggest stars. Bet Wandy is glad he didn't sign on to fight him....but when it comes down to it I'd rather have a loss to Forrest on my record then getting my shit pushed in by Chris Leban.

Leben was a bad match up for Wandy. He showed up against Bisping and Stann and rape choked Keith Jardine. That's how he'll be remembered in the UFC.

TUF + WW Belt, besides, UFC HOF is for almost everyone that had a decent career and he is Dana's buddy.

Leben was a bad match up for Wandy. He showed up against Bisping and Stann and rape choked Keith Jardine. That's how he'll be remembered in the UFC.
Funny I'll always remember him in UFC for the beatings that Tito, Belfort, Chuck, Leben, Franklin (2 times), and Rampage gave him. Also looking like a jackass on TUF and getting punked by Chael. But when he was juiced to the gills in Pride he was fun to watch, even when 155lb crackhead Charles "Krazy Horse" Bennett KO'd him backstage.

He can eat more pasta than most as well.

He doesn’t belong in the HOF but nobody gives a shit about it anyway. He will always be etched in history for one of the greatest upsets in UFC history.
lol, eating pasta was the first thing I though of. and yeah the UFC's Hall of Fame is not strictly the greatest fighters, it's unique achievements like Serra KO'ing GSP, the Forrest Griffin-Stephan Bonnar fight etc (I think both of those guys are in it)....and people Dana liked of course

Didn’t he sit on some guy at a mall food court?

Back