Why is Machida getting title shots so easily?

If he is undeserving, he will lose. I feel like it is a disadvantage, as far as keeping the belt goes. If he wins the belt then he deserves it plain and simple.
This isn't true. Any top fighter can beat the champ depending on the day. Earning a title shot and winning a title fight are two separate actions. The shot isn't earned retroactively.

marketable , females love him, look at his facebook, plus he is talented and did very well at lhw

JDS vs Cain I

It's a Valid point. IMO 5 round bludgeoning shows more of an ability to beat the opponent.

JDS took the opportunity to beat MR. Cain but most believe Cain has his number and I agree. I feel that 8 /10 Cain wins. Some may disagree.

cause of TRT ban.

that title shot was supposed to be vitor's.

That's right, I thought I remembered rumors of Vitor vs Wiedman

---> Then why not Jacare? Is he injured??

He suffered some minor injury during the Carmount camp. It was said it will take 6 weeks or so to heal so I dont think that would have been a problem. That was in February and he fought against Carmont with that injury anyway. Machida basically just leapfrogged ahead Jacare and thats about it.

You do have a point. But Lyoto getting the shot was far from easy. But probably due to the fact that you can't get a title shot coming off of a decision over Carmont...

I would imagine that it is because he is an elite fighter, has two wins over very credible competition (one of them in devastating fashion in the very first round) and he stepped up when the contender at the time was pulled out. Similar to his 'easy' title shot against Jones when he stepped in for Rashad.. And his 'easy' title shot against Rashad when he stepped in for Rampage if I remember correctly. That was right when I was getting into the sport and I consider myself to have still been a casual at that point so correct me if I'm wrong but Rampage had a jaw injury of some sort and couldn't fight Rashad. Makes you wonder.

cos Vitor pulled out bro and Cheeta is cool as fuck a former champ and had a great fight against Moosaucey

This isn't false but it is also not likely:

JDS vs Cain is an example .
Absolutely. Or GSP-Serra, to take the iconic example.

Not sure what this proves
It means that wheter Machida wins or loses doesn't change anything about how he earned his shot or not. Jones didn't earn his shot, which is ok, he stepped in after an injury, after all. That he turned out to be a dominant champion doesn't change that fact, it just makes it less important in the context of his long reign.

I'm not overly bothered by Machida getting his shot. It's a cool matchup and I think it's justifiable to give a top fighter from a heavier weight class a shot. But If he deserves a chance against the Champion or not isn't affected by how well he does with that chance.

Rockhold, Belfort, Machida and Jacare all have a realistic shot of beating Weidman, meaning that who actually gets to try to do so matters a little.

Everyone but the judges gave him the Davis fight so he should be on a 5 fight win streak.

http://mmadecisions.com/decision/4380/Phil-Davis-vs-Lyoto-Machida

If he is undeserving, he will lose. I feel like it is a disadvantage, as far as keeping the belt goes. If he wins the belt then he deserves it plain and simple.

I don't agree with this idea at all. Anything can happen in a fight, if Jones hadn't got the finish against Chael there would have been no sensible argument that Chael deserved to be champ.

Machida beat Munoz who Weidman beat to get his shot.

Then machida beat mousassi who sherdog proclaimed to be the simultaneous LHW MW champ and destroyer of souls.
Now he does not deserve it?

Everyone but the judges gave him the Davis fight so he should be on a 5 fight win streak.

If you actually watch the fight and ignore the biased commentary and brazilian crowd, its kinda clear Davis won the rounds 1 & 2 by unified rules. Those elbows Davis landed on the ground probably did more damage than anything Machida landed on the feet. Machida looked helpless on the ground and was saved by the bell both times, imo.

...if Jones hadn't got the finish against Chael there would have been no sensible argument that Chael deserved to be champ.

I disagree with this. IF Chael finished off Jones I would say F*ck it, he deserved it.

I see why most probably disagree with this. I see fighting on a more primal survival level. You think you can beat the champ? Go and try maybe get destroyed on the way there, each case will be entertaining.

That was possibly the only thing Chael said that I thought was very cool. something along the lines of 'if you're the champ, you should fight anyone no complaining, no questions asked'

I disagree with this. IF Chael finished off Jones I would say F*ck it, he deserved it.

I mean if Chael got an undeserved titleshot, got beatdown and won because Jones snapped his toe. If you wanna argue that Chael would've deserved it, fine, but that's crazy. He would've been the ultimate right place, right time, lottery win type paper champion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back