Why is Machida getting title shots so easily?

Melas Chasma

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
First he gets a shot against Jones with an embarrasing 1-2 rekord by beating just a 48 year old Couture and now he gets another shot with just a 2 wins after losing to Davis and neither of those wins werent top5 (Munoz and Mousasi). Is he just lucky with the timing or what?

For comparison, Jacare is running on a 6 fight winning streak and he KO`d Okami who was on a 3 fight winning streak and who had just beaten Hector Lombard. That win alone should have put Jacare ahead of Lyoto imo. After beating Okami Jacare beat Carmont aswell who was on a 11 fight winning streak (6-0 UFC).

because he is a larger more marketable name at this point in time in comparison to Jacare.

And a former champion in the UFC.

I personally would have preferred Jacare.

I agree, was hoping to see him fight an actual contender before weidman.

want a Wah Burger with those french cries??

If he is undeserving, he will lose. I feel like it is a disadvantage, as far as keeping the belt goes. If he wins the belt then he deserves it plain and simple.

dont forget the whole vitor pulling out and lyoto subbing in thing, yah know

want a Wah Burger with those french cries??

If he is undeserving, he will lose. I feel like it is a disadvantage, as far as keeping the belt goes. If he wins the belt then he deserves it plain and simple.

bit of an overreaction there

Posting a lot and getting to blue belt in less than a year doesn't mean anything if you're a freaking idiot.

If Vitor hadnt had to withdraw, Machida would have another fight. That being said, I think Machida is worthy of a shot. Sometimes fighters records and results just dont do justice to their talent, and dont justify a shot, but they get it because either a) they are marketable and/or b) they have tremendous talent (but not the results.) Machida is one of those. Anderson was when he got his shot, as was vitor in his two shots.

yes winning vs moussassi is very easy..... ow wait....

If Vitor hadnt had to withdraw, Machida would have another fight. That being said, I think Machida is worthy of a shot. Sometimes fighters records and results just dont do justice to their talent, and dont justify a shot, but they get it because either a) they are marketable and/or b) they have tremendous talent (but not the results.) Machida is one of those. Anderson was when he got his shot, as was vitor in his two shots.

Jacare has a "tremendous talent" too, dont you think? And he had a lot better resume at MW, so it seems its that marketing thing with Lyoto then..

The fact he's willing to take the fights on short notice probably has something to do with it. His fight with Jones was with just a lil under a month notice I believe, and when he was originally scheduled to fight Weidman was on short notice too.

Also hasn't Jacare been injured? So he couldn't take the fight, which only really leaves Machida.

bit of an overreaction there

If your vcash wasn't awesomely 420 I would rip you a new one.

Seriously tho what I could have said more politely is: Let this shit just play out. Matchups aren't your decision or mine. The beauty of the thing is that if the guy is undeserving he will lose.

I never insulted the dude just teased the complainy tone of the thread.

The fact he's willing to take the fights on short notice probably has something to do with it. His fight with Jones was with just a lil under a month notice I believe, and when he was originally scheduled to fight Weidman was on short notice too.

Well, Im sure Jacare would have loved to get that shot too, short notice or not. And there is really no way to argue Lyoto earns it more than Jacare, so.. Lyoto just have more fans, so I think thats the main reason.

Back