Why is Lombard Getting Lower Fighters?

MMAProfessional

Golden Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
It seems like every fight at WW Lombard has dominated his opponent yet he never gets that step up in competition. I mean Shields is a slight step up from Marquardt but I think Burkman is a step down from both fighters. I know he has gotten better and beat a downhill Fitch but even if Lombard beats him it does nothing for Lombard. The only way I could see this doing anything for Lombard is if he has some crazy domination, which is likely but still. According to the UFC rankings (which I know mean nothing to the fans but the UFC somewhat uses them) Lombard is 6 but hasn't faced anyone in the top 15 yet (maybe Jake was at the time). I think they are just trying to set up as many Hendricks v Lawler rematches that they can.

Came in with a lot of hype and disappointed. Gotta rebuild himself and can't stake a claim as elite just yet

Because no one above him wants any part of that fight. Very high risk and if you're a higher ranked guy then no reward. They'll eventually have to offer him up to someone as a title eliminator.

Came in with a lot of hype and disappointed. Gotta rebuild himself and can't stake a claim as elite just yet
WW is a different division.
He's 2-0 at WW. 1 of those victories is against a guy that should probably still be considered top 5.

People are ducking the Showeather.

Because the 1-5 guys are all avoiding him like the plague

WW is a different division.
He's 2-0 at WW. 1 of those victories is against a guy that should probably still be considered top 5.

I don't see his fights at MW as loses. His opponents just survived him, they didn't defeat him. Both were knocked down at one point.

1-5 ducking him, or UFC hates him. That would be what this man thinks:

0e34b2e01-1.jpg

I don't see his fights at MW as loses. His opponents just survived him, they didn't defeat him. Both were knocked down at one point.

Going from memory, the Boetch fight was a robbery and IMO Hector deserved the decision, but he didn't act with any urgency and didn't "defeat" Tim or Okami either.

Because no one above him wants any part of that fight. Very high risk and if you're a higher ranked guy then no reward. They'll eventually have to offer him up to someone as a title eliminator.

yes, this.

he got injured and only fought once last year. his own fault. If he stayed active he would have would have gotten a top 5 opponent by now.

and contrary to delusional fanboys, zero welterweights are scared of him.

True, if a top 5 guy does beat him all the assholes are just going to claim Hector was overrated/over the hill. Kind of a lose/lose for them.

Oh well, Dana said he will fight Matt Brown if he wins, and he will smoke Brown. With 2 more wins over Burkman and Brown, I have a hard time seeing the UFC denying him the title shot.

Shields is a former Strikeforce champ, who fought for the UFC belt. Lombard has only fought twice at WW. I do not understand the Lombard train at all.

cause the timing and all top fighters were booked no?

especially with his age, I'm surprised the UFC isn't trying harder to capitalize on his name. Much like Romero, I think their UFC upside (in terms of marketability and longevity) is capped and they would strike while the iron is hot.

If he wins, maybe his next test is a big jump?

he got injured and only fought once last year. his own fault. If he stayed active he would have would have gotten a top 5 opponent by now.

and contrary to delusional fanboys, zero welterweights are scared of him.

You seem to be the one who is delusional. It was stated time and time again no one wanted to fight Lombard (woodley) especially . Best bet is after Lombard KO's Burkman they should give him the Champ after Hendricks vs Lawler 3 . Then No one can duck him if he wins the strap.

Back