Why is LHW and HW so shallow?

The Blob

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this and some people say it's because there aren't enough people that are big enough to fight in those divisions.

But the HW division in boxing in the 70s and 90s (no weight limit as well) were considered to be some of the deepest divisions in boxing history. There were plenty of skilled big guys there, but how come MMA's LHW/HW divisions are full of 35+ year olds?

The best athletes in the world are guys who are 220lbs and above, but still move fast like guys who are 185lbs and below. These A-level athletes are in the NFL/NBA, etc. because that’s where the real money is.

Greg Hardy is a perfect example. Whoever has the HW belt after DC is just keeping it warm for Greg Hardy. He’s gonna be champ early 2020, just because Dana is taking his time with him. He would KO Tai Tuivasa if they fought tomorrow.

Look at the way he slips the punch and counters with his right lightning fast. It looks more impressive than a Conor counter, and Hardy has only been pro for 2 fights.

Last edited:
because there aren't enough people that are big enough to fight in those divisions.
You just answered your own question.

More LHW/HW boxers because it pays better.

/eot

UFC has pretty much left both divisions out to dry. Lack of promotion, no new prospects, USADA, etc.

'cause they only hired 20 fighters to be on the roster

It's population/numbers

They aren't that many big men in the world....and there's an even smaller percentage from that small percentage of big men who are even coordinated/talented

And then there's an even smaller percentage, from that tiny percentage of talented big men, who even want to FIGHT, and or have the heart to want to fight etc

This is why the lower weight classes in boxing (140 and 147) and MMA (135/145/ESPECIALLY 155) will always have the deepest most stacked talent pools forever and consistently

There are simply billions more average sized men, and of those significantly larger more global talent pools, boxing and MMA are going to always get a significant amount of the more truly legit elite super talents

There will always be EXCEPTIONS at LHW/HW, but for the most part LHW/HW will always be shit and the shallowest. For a long time MW was shit too

Here's a fun fact. Of the top 10 all time great boxers in history, the vast majority on all the reputable lists, are all under 160 with most being 147 and under

Last edited:
they lack a lot of fighters from outside the organization. just imagine how good the divisions were during PRIDE days.

Here's a fun fact. Of the top 10 all time great boxers in history, the vast majority on all the reputable lists, are all under 160 with most being 147 and under
But that's like P4P rankings and shit, which is pure conjecture

P4P is a fantasy that doesn't make sense in any other sport or in real life

All I know is that the 1000th ranked HW boxer would KO the best 135lber

The new breed HWs aren’t down getting paid 10/10 to start off their UFC careers.

UFC let a lot of the depth walk. If you add Davis and Bader into lhw it’s not a bad division. Rockhold and Romero
should be up there too.

DC
Bader
Davis
Gus
Romero
Rockhold
Litifi
Ozdimir
Manuwa

That’s a pretty damn good division.

But that's like P4P rankings and shit, which is pure conjecture

P4P is a fantasy that doesn't make sense in any other sport or in real life
That had nothing to do with P4P

You asked why LHW and HW are so shit.

I answered

Then I added why the lower weight classes in both MMA and boxing have always been THE premier divisions with the biggest largest and greatest talent pools with all the best superior talents

I.e size of talent pools. This is a fact and has nothing to do with your inane irrelvant response

Btw,
It's also a FACT that the vast majority of the top 10 greatest boxers in history were all under 160 with most being 160lbs and under

Lower weight classes>>>>higger weight classes and that is also a fact both commercially(ppv numbers) and talent wise/rankings wise etc

Last edited:
That had nothing to do with P4P you moron

You asked why LHW and HW are so shit.

I answered

Then I added why the lower weight classes in both MMA and boxing have always been THE premier divisions with the biggest largest and greatest talent pools with all the best superior talents

Size of talent pools. This is a fact and has nothing to do with your inane irrelvant response

Btw,
It's also a FACT that the vast majority of the top 10 greatest boxers in history were all under 160 with most being 160lbs and under
Nah man, you’re delusional. The best athletes are big guys who move like small guys. Greg Hardy is the best athlete MMA has ever seen. The way he slips this punch and counters with his right hand is much more crisp and fluid than someone like Conor.

Imagine how good Hardy’s counters will be when he has as much fights as conor does.

That had nothing to do with P4P you moron
Btw,
You need to calm down buddy, I am trying to have a logical conversation, hence why this thread was created.

The top 10 rankings are P4P rankings, otherwise they'd just be full of Heavyweights. P4P is a made up thing and is totally opinion based.

The best athletes in the world are guys who are 220lbs and above, but still move fast like guys who are 185lbs and below. These A-level athletes are in the NFL/NBA, etc. because that’s where the real money is.

Greg Hardy is a perfect example. Whoever has the HW belt after DC is just keeping it warm for Greg Hardy. He’s gonna be champ early 2020, just because Dana is taking his time with him. He would KO Tai Tuivasa if they fought tomorrow.

Look at the way he slips the punch and counters with his right lightning fast. It looks more impressive than a Conor counter, and Hardy has only been pro for 2 fights.

As much as I hate hate hate to hype a guy up before he's even fought a UFC fighter, Hardy has the tools to do well in the UFC. His speed to power ratio is scary.

The NFL and other sports is a good excuse, BUT the LHW and HW divisions have got much worse over the years.

There is a few MMA gyms that I visited here before and there is zero big guys in it, its full of small or medium sized guys and women. Finding a HW is like looking for a needle in a haystack in them.

You need to calm down buddy, I am trying to have a logical conversation, hence why this thread was created.

The top 10 rankings are P4P rankings, otherwise they'd just be full of Heavyweights. P4P is a made up thing and is totally opinion based.
You never try to be logical. So I doubt this is a start for you.

Every one knows your reputation

But if you are genuine then let's discuss

Size of talent pools is your answer to this thread

And it's the answer to why the lower weight classes are so superior

As for goat lists in boxing. It has nothing to do with p4p. It's about career accomplishments and legacy. It just shows how superior and more stacked the lower weight classes are when its nothing but lower weight class fighters who are all of the most accomplished fighters with the greatest legacies etc

As for your HW=best fighters non sense

The HW champs have always been guys who were small for HW. Size is irrelvant

Fedor was in fact knocked out cold by a MW.

The best fighters are lower weight class fighters

Notice that in the history of openweight tournaments, most were won by much much small fighters

People would be surprised by how many elite LWs today would wreck shop in an open weight tournament

Whittaker beat Romero yet was KOd by Wonderboy

Lower weight class fighters are the superior talents

Last edited:
Boxing has been around since forever, also you could be champ in boxing without fighting the other best guys, like Joshua and Wilder, in the UFC (or MMA) they end up facing each other sooner than later.

Pay in MMA hasnt really been stellar, while athletic big guys can make a killing playing other sports instead of fighting.

Back